Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] John Motson - RIP

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Such sad news. Like others, he was THE voice of football for me growing up.
I dont follow football anymore really, but I will definitely be tuning in to any tribute programme the BBC are surely lining up.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
When I think of football commentary, it'll always be John Motson's voice I hear in my head. And absolute legend of the game.

Nice piece in The Guardian:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very sad news, the voice of football for pretty much my entire life. He will be missed.

Am I correct in thinking he actually asked to report on us as his retirement match? Against West Brom?

RIP Motty.
Not sure if it was his last game, but it was our first win in the PL and he was behind the mic for it. Marvellous. Edit: just watched the video and it was the first game after he announced his retirement. He carried on for the rest of the season.

I spent an hour in the car earlier on flicking between Talksport and 5 Live and there was wall-to-wall love for the guy from his peers, ex-players and genuine fans of him and his talent.

RIP to an (the?) iconic voice of my footballing youth.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very good commentator. Would recommend people listen to his interviews with Brian Clough. Brilliant

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Another of my childhood commentators gone, I think the only one left now is Martin Tyler.

For those with old memories - his commentary on the Francis Lee-Norman Hunter punch up in 1975

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I met him at a match in Sep 2011 when I lived in Herts. He was a pal of Barnet’s chairman, and often used to attend Bees’ games. I attended a League Two game between Barnet (19th) and Accrington Stanley (15th) and sat a couple of rows behind him. The standard of football from both teams was absolutely dire, with the match ending a predictable 0-0. However, it was a very physical encounter resulting in 5 yellow cards and 2 reds, with Accrington picking up all but one of the yellows. At the final whistle, Motty said in his trademark commentary voice “they’ll be acrimonious in Accrington tonight!”, quite happy to entertain others on his day off! A fantastic servant to football over many decades. RIP Motty.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a sad day for football, I fancy.

R.I.P Motty.

It is not often you have a sports broadcaster with such knowledge, enthusiasm, professionalism and humour.

You also wonder how Motty in his pomp - and the likes of Barry Davies too - would have coped with VAR. In many respects I'm glad he didn't have to deal with that shit.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
This today inspired me to dig out some old programmes as I knew I’d got his autograph once.
January 2nd 1982 @ Barnet FA Cup 3rd round.
Motty was commentating in our game.
Remember being in the stand on the left as you went down the hill first half . Barnet fans to our left behind the goal had nicked a Brighton Flag, not sure whether they set it alight.
The second half we ended up over the other side somehow and managed to get Motty’s signature and a few Brighton players. Good days.

901295B6-7A5E-479D-A5E2-541149F8C319.jpeg
21A560E1-D164-4A8B-BFAC-F1F8B0112984.jpeg

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Such a gracious man - classic interview with Brian Clough (who was exceptionally acerbic that day ! ) - Motty maintained his cool and very polite - a true gent.

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here