Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] John Motson - RIP

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not much to add really. Never really known football without him………always there in my lifetime. A few colleagues already waxing lyrical about the level of research he did before games, and amount of reading afterwards (documented every weekend game in a series of scrapbooks every Monday for example) which was evident in his knowledge when commentating. Peerless. RIP Motty.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
RIP Motty
22B7D2E6-8A8E-4177-9FAA-1F31F9AF31CB.jpeg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Very sad news, the voice of football for pretty much my entire life. He will be missed.

Am I correct in thinking he actually asked to report on us as his retirement match? Against West Brom?

RIP Motty.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
His brother was the Southwick Methodist Church minister, I seem to remember. And he was a wonderful presence in football.
His father was the Minister of Steyne Gardens Methodist Church in Worthing!

Last edited:

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Such a shame always so positive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I always remember his commentary of the 1-5 Munich game, "this just keeps getting better and better and better". We thrashed a Wolves team pushing for promotion from the championship at Withdean a few years later and I remember that little bit of commentary going through my mind as the 4th goal went in.

RIP

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

The Day John Motson Commentated At The Amex​

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
RIP.

What a legend.

He and Barry D were THE voices of football for me as a kid
Barry my fav but loved Motty nearly as much. Such a sad day, has cast a shadow over. Think a little bit of all of us has gone with his passing such was his impact and influence. Lovely man. A true icon of British football.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Such a shame always so positive, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I always remember his commentary of the 1-5 Munich game, "this just keeps getting better and better and better". We thrashed a Wolves team pushing for promotion from the championship at Withdean a few years later and I remember that little bit of commentary going through my mind as the 4th goal went in.

RIP
Indeed

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
What a sad start to the day this news was. His is the voice i hear when i think of a football commentator.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mark Lawrenson was on the radio earlier recalling a memory of when he was sat in the commentary box next to Motty a few minutes before kickoff, and accidentally knocked a bottle of water over all his notes for the game. Motty apparently went postal and told him off, "making me feel like a 3 year old". Lawrenson apparently said "I dunno why you're going so mad, you know all the bloody stuff off by heart anyway". :lolol:

A few beers afterwards and all was well.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Mark Lawrenson was on the radio earlier recalling a memory of when he was sat in the commentary box next to Motty a few minutes before kickoff, and accidentally knocked a bottle of water over all his notes for the game. Motty apparently went postal and told him off, "making me feel like a 3 year old". Lawrenson apparently said "I dunno why you're going so mad, you know all the bloody stuff off by heart anyway". :lolol:

A few beers afterwards and all was well.
I really got the feeling Motty absolutely loved his job. His love of what he did really shone through in his commentary.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
ah no way. RIP Motty.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
A true legend of football commentary and someone who has been on games all my life. Gutted to here this today - jeez I hate getting old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here