Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] John Motson - RIP

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Such a gracious man - classic interview with Brian Clough (who was exceptionally acerbic that day ! ) - Motty maintained his cool and very polite - a true gent.

RIP
Clough was right about refs (see ref threads) but probably wrong about commentators. Some of the commentary teams in those days were top notch. The suggestion that he was more qualified is tosh too. I always use cricket, my main sport, as a good example. The only reason a village cricketer is not captaining England is because he's nowhere near that standard in ability. But he may well make a better captain than anything England have. Thus it is the same with football and some of those who write and commentate on it. Bryon Butler, Peter Jones, John Motson, all gone now. Still, as devotees, we have the memories.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
" and that is the 17th time in the last 30 years, that the side winning the toss in the Cup Final, has changed in the South dressing room, kicked toward the North end in the first half, worn a changed strip and failed to score in the whole match "
( RIP to Motty.....and Wolstenholme, Coleman, Moore, Jones, Butler, Sinstadt and Johns and all those others who have enriched our game )

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Plenty of genuine heartfelt condolences like many here and maybe what set him apart from today's so called commentary teams for me no politics bit old school like Harry Carpenter,Bill McClaren and one or two others just kept to the subject matter in front of them.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Plenty of genuine heartfelt condolences like many here and maybe what set him apart from today's so called commentary teams for me no politics bit old school like Harry Carpenter,Bill McClaren and one or two others just kept to the subject matter in front of them.
Without wanting to sidetrack too much, what politics are the commentators currently bringing into their match commentary?

"Oh no. Haaland has REALLY screwed up that shot.....talking of screwed up, what on EARTH is going on with the tories at the moment?"

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
" and that is the 17th time in the last 30 years, that the side winning the toss in the Cup Final, has changed in the South dressing room, kicked toward the North end in the first half, worn a changed strip and failed to score in the whole match "
( RIP to Motty.....and Wolstenholme, Coleman, Moore, Jones, Butler, Sinstadt and Johns and all those others who have enriched our game )
fantastic list of commentators there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here