Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Lennon

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I've always wondered if Buddy Holly or Marc Bolan would have ended up playing at Butlins on the nostalgia weekends had they lived.

The Beatles would still be the biggest group ever if he was still alive but his death didn't hurt none in that respect.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Sad one 1980.

Hitchcock, McQueen, Sellers, Mae West, Harry O, Tonto and 'Ohh there's a bit of a George in here'.

Still, did give us Going Underground and Kelly Marie.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Dying early is always a good career move for a pop star. Fair play to Yoko One btw, she worked her socks off to keep the killers name out of the public awareness and was pretty successful at that. I'm not going to say it even now.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Just saw 5 minutes of him doing a live show (Sky Arts?).

From what I saw, Mark Chapman did music a favour.

nick65

Jun 9, 2013
New Jersey
The same Paul McCartney who is still touring to sell out gigs around the world? I saw him 12 years ago, he was on stage for over two hours, sometimes completely on his own with just an acoustic guitar. He was excellent.

Exactly what I was going to say. You don't have to like his music but his concerts sell out in minutes, hardly a has-been.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
M
The same Paul McCartney who is still touring to sell out gigs around the world? I saw him 12 years ago, he was on stage for over two hours, sometimes completely on his own with just an acoustic guitar. He was excellent.

I am not questioning his musical abilities, although his solo stuff since early Wings is lightweight and very commercial. From what I've seen on tv his voice is shot too. It was more a comment on how seriously he takes himself and his place in music. He also told one of my daughter's friends ( who was 16) to **** off when asked for an autograph. He was with that other absolute charmer, Heather Mills, in a gallery in London at the time.

Fwiw loads of people who should have given up live music years ago still sell out due to nostalgia. IMO McCartney is one of them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
M

He also told one of my daughter's friends ( who was 16) to **** off when asked for an autograph. He was with that other absolute charmer, Heather Mills, in a gallery in London at the time.

Every celebrity has someone who says that about them. It becomes almost common.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every celebrity has someone who says that about them. It becomes almost common.

Well as my daughter was there, forgive me if I believe her.

He is obviously a hero of yours so you probably struggle to believe any negatives about him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well as my daughter was there, forgive me if I believe her.

He is obviously a hero of yours so you probably struggle to believe any negatives about him.

I believe it happened, but I do have some sympathy with celebrities, who must be polite and happy to see fans at any given moment in any given day. Sometimes it must get on their nerves and they are human.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I saw Paul on his bike, with Heather roller skating along side him outside the Palace Pier a couple of years ago. It was a bit weird, did they live near Brighton?

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
M

I am not questioning his musical abilities, although his solo stuff since early Wings is lightweight and very commercial. From what I've seen on tv his voice is shot too. It was more a comment on how seriously he takes himself and his place in music. He also told one of my daughter's friends ( who was 16) to **** off when asked for an autograph. He was with that other absolute charmer, Heather Mills, in a gallery in London at the time.

Fwiw loads of people who should have given up live music years ago still sell out due to nostalgia. IMO McCartney is one of them.

My theory is that Paul has/had a voice that worked well in a studio but when he performs live it sounds very amateurish.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Ha, ha, this thread is hilarious...we do love to knock our own in Britain don't we!

I am sure that you can find a fault in almost every human being on the planet and therefore a reason to dislike them however there is no getting away from the fact that McCartney and Lennon are absolute musical legends. Anyone who thinks otherwise is frankly an imbecile!

We should be very proud that they are/were British.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Ha, ha, this thread is hilarious...we do love to knock our own in Britain don't we!

I am sure that you can find a fault in almost every human being on the planet and therefore a reason to dislike them however there is no getting away from the fact that McCartney and Lennon are absolute musical legends. Anyone who thinks otherwise is frankly an imbecile!

We should be very proud that they are/were British.
They were one of numerous very talented bands who achieved God like status with the aid of the media.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here