Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Lennon

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm with you, as I think it is sentimental claptrap. Famous people say what they think others want to hear.

But with John Lennon, I can't help thinking it would be heartfelt sentimental claptrap.

I personally really like it, can see how others could have a different attitude, but am sure it is nowhere near as inane as Mull of Kin..... - I can't even say it. Or the Frog Chorus.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I bought him and paul a pint in hamburg as they were broke in early 1960,six months later,they were on the radio as the beatles...if i only knew how famous they were to become i would have got their autographs as well.

Wow. Visiting Hamburg and seeing where they played was impressive enough for me. Hats off.

Speaking as a huge Beatles fan, I think the more you know about John Lennon's life, the even more utterly empty and hollow his murder seems. He was a guy who wrote and sang some brilliant songs. Why would anyone go out of their way to bother harming that?

There's a very telling moment in that great documentary about him, where he brings a smelly old hippy - who's been sleeping in his garden and who informs Lennon that all of his songs were written about him - into his house and feeds him up a bit. In hindsight it's a tragic little insight to a far more innocent age.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If only he had chosen Leonard Cohen instead.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But with John Lennon, I can't help thinking it would be heartfelt sentimental claptrap.

I personally really like it, can see how others could have a different attitude, but am sure it is nowhere near as inane as Mull of Kin..... - I can't even say it. Or the Frog Chorus.

I laugh when people quote the Frog Chorus in an attempt to put Paul down. The Beatles also wrote children's songs, Octopus' Garden and Yellow Submarine for example.
They were all talented musicians, and the sum of the whole exceeded the individual parts. I liked John but felt he lost his way when he met Yoko.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Its tragic but how many other famous people have been assassinated because of their.... art?

Can't think of many but usually due to politics, religion, civil rights etc....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I laugh when people quote the Frog Chorus in an attempt to put Paul down. The Beatles also wrote children's songs, Octopus' Garden and Yellow Submarine for example.
They were all talented musicians, and the sum of the whole exceeded the individual parts. I liked John but felt he lost his way when he met Yoko.

I hear what you say, but I don't think the Frog Chorus is on a par with Octopus's Garden or Yellow Submarine.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This anniversary has made me realise that I don't have a single John Lennon solo song in my music collection. I liked his music and his contribution to the Beatles but I think his death has improved his legend status. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have turned out to be just as irritating and up his own arse as McCartney has. He was prone to being a **** when he was alive.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I bought him and paul a pint in hamburg as they were broke in early 1960,six months later,they were on the radio as the beatles...if i only knew how famous they were to become i would have got their autographs as well.

This is why when I meet someone I always ask for their autograph no matter if they are thought to be famous or not.

It truly surprised the bathroom attendant when I asked for his autograph when he was changing the loo paper in my stall. Only problem was he failed to actually refill the loo paper and I was left with only one choice. Suffice to say, I no longer have his signature. I sure hope he doesn't become famous.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm not sure that Yoko's Strawberry field memorial in Central park does his talent justice. It just seems to be a photo opportunity for tourists. Also last time I was there a guy was playing Blackbird which I always thought was a McCartney song.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This anniversary has made me realise that I don't have a single John Lennon solo song in my music collection. I liked his music and his contribution to the Beatles but I think his death has improved his legend status. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have turned out to be just as irritating and up his own arse as McCartney has. He was prone to being a **** when he was alive.
The same Paul McCartney who is still touring to sell out gigs around the world? I saw him 12 years ago, he was on stage for over two hours, sometimes completely on his own with just an acoustic guitar. He was excellent.

theboybilly

This is why when I meet someone I always ask for their autograph no matter if they are thought to be famous or not.

It truly surprised the bathroom attendant when I asked for his autograph when he was changing the loo paper in my stall. Only problem was he failed to actually refill the loo paper and I was left with only one choice. Suffice to say, I no longer have his signature. I sure hope he doesn't become famous.

You really aren't funny.....really

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here