Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] John Lennon would have been 80 today

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Never been a wife beater. Never approved of wife beating. Sanctimonious holier-than-thou pains in the arse are equally despicable. You're too bigoted to have a rational debate - just your view or nothing for you.
Time to do an HWP on you. 'Bye.

You’ve literally just said being ‘holier than thou’ on the internet is ‘equally despicable’ as wife beating. Get some help, please.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I still idolise all my Grandparents even though they are long gone, but my Grannie who died in 1970 sent off numerous coupons from the Marmalade jars to get me the Gollywog orchestra, today she’d be tarred and feathered at the WI for even thinking about those little figures [emoji85]

Different times old boy, my Gran went to church every week and never had a drop of drink in her 63 years. Not your average racist.

I’m not sure why you’re replying to me but I certainly get the gist and agree.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
What would have happened? Probably would have been violent to even more women

Your grandad and great grandad were almost certainly violent to women, as were many men in those times. Very different era to now.

It’s quite narrow minded and arrogant to condemn and distill a successful mans entire life and career from a vastly different world and time to “a wife beater”.

Is what you think of your poor great grandad? He was just a wife beater? Glad he’s not around?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Your grandad and great grandad were almost certainly violent to women, as were many men in those times. Very different era to now.

It’s quite narrow minded and arrogant to condemn and distill a successful mans entire life and career from a vastly different world and time to “a wife beater”.

Is what you think of your poor great grandad? He was just a wife beater? Glad he’s not around?

Personally have no idea if either were but, if it were the case, then it should certainly be an asterisk next to their name. Lennon is a public figure often revered for peace and positivity, when held up in that light the negative aspects should certainly be known - otherwise it adds to the message that domestic violence is okay as long as you can sing and write songs. It’s not a historic issue, it still goes on in worrying numbers and unfortunately often conducted by the major demographic of boards such as this. Having the conversation rather than writing it off as ‘something that was done then’ is beneficial in my view.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No they wouldn't have re-formed. They both wanted solo careers or experimenting with other genres, like classical, film music, children's songs etc.
Yoko had too much say in what John chose to do.

Greatest ever? He wrote some good music but his greatest achievements were as a song writing duo.

Think they would have (all hypothetical I know), but John mentioned it in 75, as he and McCartney had collaborated, it was just getting George involved.

I think Live Aid would have been the catalyst. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Personally have no idea if either were but, if it were the case, then it should certainly be an asterisk next to their name. Lennon is a public figure often revered for peace and positivity, when held up in that light the negative aspects should certainly be known - otherwise it adds to the message that domestic violence is okay as long as you can sing and write songs. It’s not a historic issue, it still goes on in worrying numbers and unfortunately often conducted by the major demographic of boards such as this. Having the conversation rather than writing it off as ‘something that was done then’ is beneficial in my view.

Well. Of course violence to anyone is wrong. 99.9% of people reading this right now would agree. You’re hardly breaking any ground with your flag flying here, you’re not on the cutting edge of human rights. Domestic abuse, violence is wrong.

However to casually dismiss an entire mans life, career and reputation the way you did I also find wrong and slightly distasteful on a mans anniversary. I think that’s what got the goat of a couple of people here (who I will respectfully guess are older than you).

So I’m sorry to break the news, but your granddad, great and great almost certainly were violent to a woman at one point. Of course it’s not right. But a very different time and world.

Lennon was a counter culture peacenik and a feminist. Long before it was trendy to be so by today’s woke culture. He was a househusband, and I believe was routinely mocked for it. He spoke out about violence to women, citing his actions as a younger man and how ashamed he was. Perhaps you should consider that before condemning his entire life.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Well. Of course violence to anyone is wrong. 99.9% of people reading this right now would agree. You’re hardly breaking any ground with your flag flying here, you’re not on the cutting edge of human rights. Domestic abuse, violence is wrong.

However to casually dismiss an entire mans life, career and reputation the way you did I also find wrong and slightly distasteful on a mans anniversary. I think that’s what got the goat of a couple of people here (who I will respectfully guess are older than you).

So I’m sorry to break the news, but your granddad, great and great almost certainly were violent to a woman at one point. Of course it’s not right. But a very different time and world.

Lennon was a counter culture peacenik and a feminist. Long before it was trendy to be so by today’s woke culture. He was a househusband, and I believe was routinely mocked for it. He spoke out about violence to women, citing his actions as a younger man and how ashamed he was.

Glad we’re having the conversation, his anniversary is as good a time as any to speak about it, if your last paragraph is to be believed, maybe that’s what he would see as his repentance. I’m not waving a flag, calling people ‘woke’ for bringing up genuine issues is a bit weird, in my opinion, but there we have it, you’re certainly not alone on doing that here. And, again, the world isn’t that different, look at the stats, it’s still a real world problem, not a past one. I’m sure my great great grandad was like that, and I’m as comfortable calling him out on it as I would be for anyone, but it’s whataboutery- it stills happens today and revering famous examples of such isn’t helpful to those who are suffering TODAY, not in my great granddads time. I’ll leave it at that as it’s not the time or place, clearly. Have a good one.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I suspect they would have got back together for a few concerts in the 1980s - probably Live Aid if nothing else.

And I'm quite glad we never saw an 80s Beatle reunion - imagine if they had recorded in the style of the time? Just listen to Paul's "Press to Play" or "Spies Like Us" to see prevailing trends at the time...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watched Lennon the New York Years on iplayer. Thought it was really good. I knew he was always fighting deportation but didn't realise he finally got his green card. The bit when he split with Yoko and moved to LA and teamed up with Phil Spector was interesting as it clearly didn't work and he was very miserable. Most of the band, including Lennon, were hammered during the recording sessions. When he moved back to New York and his son Sean was born he was a lot more relaxed and happy

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Think they would have (all hypothetical I know), but John mentioned it in 75, as he and McCartney had collaborated, it was just getting George involved.

I think Live Aid would have been the catalyst. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But would they have gone on before or after Adam Ant and the Quo? 😂

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

It’s an interesting debate vaga, in the same way that a significant number of paedophiles were historically sexually abused as children and then go on to repeat that behaviour and are therefore as much victims themselves. Are you as keen to dismiss and condone their behaviour as you are wife beating? Not trying to piss you off btw, just genuinely interested.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't know much about John Lennon except that he wrote the most overrated, maudlin and derivative anthem (alternatively piece of old tat) since Leader of the Pack. Actually, correction, Leader of the Pack had nice motorbike noises.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I don't see what his death has do with it really, both McCartney and Lennon are legends of popular music because of the Beatles and the songs they wrote in the band and the influence that they had on music in general.

Lennon also, like McCartney, had a pretty decent solo career, Imagine for example is without doubt one of the greatest songs of all time.

I'm a big Lennon fan, but for me "Imagine" as a piece of music is an awful, overplayed dirge - however I agree with the sentiments.

FWIW I think that many "best songs" of big artists fall into the same category;

e.g. The late great Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay
the equally great Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
Supremes - Baby Love

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s an interesting debate vaga, in the same way that a significant number of paedophiles were historically sexually abused as children and then go on to repeat that behaviour and are therefore as much victims themselves. Are you as keen to dismiss and condone their behaviour as you are wife beating? Not trying to piss you off btw, just genuinely interested.

“Condone”? I didn’t condone anything. Where on earth did you get that from my post? Read it again.

Regards your question. Personally I wouldn’t equate a young man in the 1950’s hitting his wife with the heinous crime you’re describing. Not in a million Sunday’s.

My issue was more with the casual dismissal of Lennon’s entire life with the “Lols he’s just a wife beater” attitude.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Such a shame that this thread has descended in to an argument over Lennon's personal life.

Nobody is saying what a stand up bloke he was or condoning his violent past, famous people like everyone else have flaws. However I don't see anything wrong in celebrating him for his contribution to music and in my case the happiness that his music has brought me over the years.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm a big Lennon fan, but for me "Imagine" as a piece of music is an awful, overplayed dirge - however I agree with the sentiments.

FWIW I think that many "best songs" of big artists fall into the same category;

e.g. The late great Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay
the equally great Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
Supremes - Baby Love

Matter of taste, I love it and so do millions of others as well as the likes of NME and Rolling Stone who have it in their top 10 greatest songs of all time!

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Such a shame that this thread has descended in to an argument over Lennon's personal life.

Nobody is saying what a stand up bloke he was or condoning his violent past, famous people like everyone else have flaws. However I don't see anything wrong in celebrating him for his contribution to music and in my case the happiness that his music has brought me over the years.

Unfortunately it's cool to not like the Beatles or anything associated with them nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here