Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] John Lennon would have been 80 today

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I absolutely love John Lennon and I think loads of his solo songs are superb.

I've just listened on BBC Sounds to Sean Lennon talking to Elton, Paul and his brother Julian.
It was fantastic and they all had a great amount of love for him.

I raise a glass to him this evening

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
But Lennon and McCartney wrote the vast majority of Beatles songs separately, although all songs were name Lennon/ McCartney on the credits only a small percentage were written collaboratively.

I think this does a disservice to their collaboration. In the many books I have read about them it is pretty well recognised that they did a lot of tweaking of each others’ blueprints to get to the end product. Perhaps less so in the final year or so.
I remember the numbness I felt on hearing of his death when I woke up that morning, and the look on the faces of work colleagues who just didn’t have to say a word.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I remember my Dad coming in my room to wake me up the morning after he was shot. My response was 'Who's John Lennon ?'

Bit bad as I was 11 and should have heard of him by then.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If he had lived, I think rather like Paul the quality of the solo albums would have been up and down.
However I think that John may have resurrected The Plastic Ono Band with an ever changing line up for live touring

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
That infernal Christmas song will be around everywhere soon.
Its actually pretty good, but gets played to death for me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think this does a disservice to their collaboration. In the many books I have read about them it is pretty well recognised that they did a lot of tweaking of each others’ blueprints to get to the end product. Perhaps less so in the final year or so.
I remember the numbness I felt on hearing of his death when I woke up that morning, and the look on the faces of work colleagues who just didn’t have to say a word.

I was at secondary school and remember that morning well.

I was brought up on The Beatles, Lennon is a genius lyrically and creatively, plus I loved that unique singing voice. One of quite a few pop/rock geniuses in the 60’s, what an era. A couple of years ago during an Albion weekend in Liverpool, we went to the John and Yoko exhibition ... I didn’t realise it would be moving, he was a poet. It included a video of them taking a gentle stroll across Central Park, where workmen on some project spotted them and excitedly called them over for a chat. A few days later John was slain.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
So I should be impressed?
Joseph Bonomi the Younger, English artist and Egyptologist, would have been 224 - now THAT would have been impressive, you have to admit. :hilton:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
That infernal Christmas song will be around everywhere soon.
Its actually pretty good, but gets played to death for me.

Which begs the question, you pen a hit, why not throw in the word Christmas and you'll be coining it in for life. Oasis Wonderwall "Christmas​ day is gonna be the day that they're​ gonna throw it back to you.."

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Probably because they were? ???
Today they would be; back then they were behaving normally.
Same as slave traders today are vilified (quite rightly) - in the 16 and 1700s it was considered a legitimate form of trade.
All England's official hangmen would be regarded as murderers now - they weren't then though - they were civil servants doing a job.

Judging historical acts and values by the current mores of the 21st. century is, next to Trump's Covid denial, just about the most stupid thing in the 21st. century so far.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Today they would be; back then they were behaving normally.
Same as slave traders today are vilified (quite rightly) - in the 16 and 1700s it was considered a legitimate form of trade.
All England's official hangmen would be regarded as murderers now - they weren't then though - they were civil servants doing a job.

Judging historical acts and values by the current mores of the 21st. century is, next to Trump's Covid denial, just about the most stupid thing in the 21st. century so far.

Suggesting guys who admitted to assaulting their wives/partners shouldn’t be idolised is stupid? Okay

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Suggesting that people can look on history with a holier than thou attitude can fvck off? Yep, seven days a week.

It wasn’t ancient history mate, and yeah I would suggest not being a wife beater is a pretty ‘holier than thou’ attribute, hope you’d agree.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It wasn’t ancient history mate, and yeah I would suggest not being a wife beater is a pretty ‘holier than thou’ attribute, hope you’d agree.

Never been a wife beater. Never approved of wife beating. Sanctimonious holier-than-thou pains in the arse are equally despicable. You're too bigoted to have a rational debate - just your view or nothing for you.
Time to do an HWP on you. 'Bye.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Do you idolise your grand father and great great grandfather?

I still idolise all my Grandparents even though they are long gone, but my Grannie who died in 1970 sent off numerous coupons from the Marmalade jars to get me the Gollywog orchestra, today she’d be tarred and feathered at the WI for even thinking about those little figures 🙈

Different times old boy, my Gran went to church every week and never had a drop of drink in her 63 years. Not your average racist.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Sky 371
Seven days of Lennon at 80

Some great stuff mixed with some other stuff. You can either watch it or not. It’s all the same to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here