Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] John Lennon would have been 80 today

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
John Lennon what superlatives could one use that don't appear understated one half of the most Successful pop song writing duo ever a cultural icon the costic gritty member of the Beatles who then went on to write some fantastic political and self reflective songs during a too brief solo period which was put on hold for a number of years while bringing up his son.
Taken by a mad man far too early what would he have done had he lived who knows his relationship with Paul MaCartney was improving George Harrison was writing some great songs and Ringo was having some success also imagine would the Beatles have reformed no one knows but I bet the last song after Johns death would have been so much better had John finished it

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But would they have gone on before or after Adam Ant and the Quo? [emoji23]

Depends if they were prepared to Stand and Deliver [emoji6].......

Seriously though, would have closed it in McCartney’s slot which means the mic’s wouldn’t have worked!!! Can you imagine the uproar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Matter of taste, I love it and so do millions of others as well as the likes of NME and Rolling Stone who have it in their top 10 greatest songs of all time!

Agreed. Good point, well made.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'm a big Lennon fan, but for me "Imagine" as a piece of music is an awful, overplayed dirge - however I agree with the sentiments.

FWIW I think that many "best songs" of big artists fall into the same category;

e.g. The late great Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay
the equally great Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
Supremes - Baby Love

I personally like Imagine, but it’s worth people knowing that it initially (comparatively) flopped on its initial release and first chart run. As did Bowie’s Space Oddity.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
John Lennon what superlatives could one use that don't appear understated one half of the most Successful pop song writing duo ever a cultural icon the costic gritty member of the Beatles who then went on to write some fantastic political and self reflective songs during a too brief solo period which was put on hold for a number of years while bringing up his son.
Taken by a mad man far too early what would he have done had he lived who knows his relationship with Paul MaCartney was improving George Harrison was writing some great songs and Ringo was having some success also imagine would the Beatles have reformed no one knows but I bet the last song after Johns death would have been so much better had John finished it

If you’re referring to Free As A Bird or Real Love, they were initially started by John years before he died.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
If Adam Ant had died in a car crash in the summer of 1981, he'd have been right up there with Holly, Morrison and the rest of the 'died too young' icons, you are bang on about the timing of it all.

Are you Adam ant about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here