Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Guidetti

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Aren't they trying to side-step it by getting a huge sponsorship deal from one of the owner's businesses?

Already done it, hence their "competitiveness" in the marketplace. So another FFP loophole emerges a la Udinese B.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Forest really aren't taking the whole Financial Fair Play thing that seriously are they? Did they not get the memo?

I guess if you are prepared to gamble, you'd take the punishment for breaking the rules on the chin in return for a Prem payday and potentially parachute payments for four years thereafter (always assuming you don't use the funds to bob back up to the Prem again the following year using the unfair advantage you got by flaunting the rules in the first place!)

It is fairly obvious that Forrest are going to say f..k the FFP the financial rewards for promotion far exceed any fine. If the FL had ball they would say the financial prize for promotion is £20m so the fine for breaching the rules and cheating is £21m but as I said if they had balls.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They only real penalty for breaching FFP is to deny the team promotion.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It is fairly obvious that Forrest are going to say f..k the FFP the financial rewards for promotion far exceed any fine. If the FL had ball they would say the financial prize for promotion is £20m so the fine for breaching the rules and cheating is £21m but as I said if they had balls.

But it would still be worth it if the team stayed up. With Forest owner's money they will buy whoever they need to stay up.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

But you'd have to prove it. In this case, they could argue through the courts for years that the sponsorship deal was within commercial expectation (esp since sponsorships will be sky rocketing as unscrupulous owners start doing this at other clubs) and therefore within the rules. Hard to prove otherwise if they really want to make a case.

FFP is not going to work - as soon as someone is fined big money it will fall apart. From our POV, I think we're using it as a catalyst for getting our financial affairs lined up - so we have a sustainable club in the long term. And for one, I'm very happy to think that's what we are doing - even if it means we never get to the Prem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Forest really aren't taking the whole Financial Fair Play thing that seriously are they? Did they not get the memo?

The problem there is the date the accounts have to be submitted according to company law and the law of the land is after the promotion is decided and the fixtures for the coming season released.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
There should be no FFP. It was totally stupid for the Football League clubs to accept. All it will do is make the Premiership teams stronger, and those with parachute payments almost certain to bounce back up.

They should have had the balls to chuck-out clubs that go bust, like in the old days. The lack of sanctions for financial failure has lead to this situation. If clubs have money, they should be entitled to spend it as they please (so long as the money is not loans that can be withdrawn at any time).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But you'd have to prove it. In this case, they could argue through the courts for years that the sponsorship deal was within commercial expectation (esp since sponsorships will be sky rocketing as unscrupulous owners start doing this at other clubs) and therefore within the rules. Hard to prove otherwise if they really want to make a case.

FFP is not going to work - as soon as someone is fined big money it will fall apart. From our POV, I think we're using it as a catalyst for getting our financial affairs lined up - so we have a sustainable club in the long term. And for one, I'm very happy to think that's what we are doing - even if it means we never get to the Prem.

Yes you are right.

Personally, I think one or other of FFP or parachute payments or both needs to be scrapped as at the moment the combination has set up a virtual closed shop on Premier League membership - something which Gartside wanted years ago, and has now got by stealth - perhaps too late for Bolton.

This all means the ultimate competitiveness of the league is dying as it's an impossibly unfair playing field.

Parachute payments should be available as a last resort to teams who are in financial meltdown after relegation - if the parachute fund is drawn on then it should come with an automatic transfer embago until the extra funds are no longer needed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt the FFP suggested by and voted in by the club chairmen. Perhaps the parachute payments should be held in a pot and clubs apply for it to help pay the wage bill for 1 season only not a financial reward by right. The FFP would not be needed if the FL applied their own rules about the ownerhip of club being by a fit and proper persons correctly

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wasnt the FFP suggested by and voted in by the club chairmen.

If it was, why did they make parachute payments fall outside it? That was just lunacy.

Maybe they'll vote again now it's apparent what a complete mess the current situation is.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All of this FFP and non compliance by some clubs through loophole exploitation shows just how monumental Saint Gus's failure to get us promoted really is.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Just a personal view I think that we put all our eggs in 1 basket last season for promotion and blew it

Considering that bar Wayne Bridge and a never playing Vicente we have the same team with improved replacements for Hammond and Dicker, I completely fail to get where youre coming from with that statement?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
... and life goes on. We'll try again this season. Last season was a shame - so move on. This is the reality. If we miss out on Giudetti because we can not afford him, so be it. I want a new laptop but I can't afford one. So I haven't got one.

Same principle.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Yes you are right.

Personally, I think one or other of FFP or parachute payments or both needs to be scrapped as at the moment the combination has set up a virtual closed shop on Premier League membership - something which Gartside wanted years ago, and has now got by stealth - perhaps too late for Bolton.

This all means the ultimate competitiveness of the league is dying as it's an impossibly unfair playing field.

Parachute payments should be available as a last resort to teams who are in financial meltdown after relegation - if the parachute fund is drawn on then it should come with an automatic transfer embago until the extra funds are no longer needed.

How bloody stupid are you.

Parachute payments are a great idea.

Clubs have like a 50m wage bill. This can't disappear over two months. They also can't prepare for relegation. I.e stoke could be third end of jan and still go down on a 60m wage bill and then you expect them to have a 40m loss the next year?

If the parachute money is a disadvantage all relegated teams would go straight back up which rarely happens and if they do that parachute money for the remaining years gets split to football league clubs.

This is pure jealousy.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Considering that bar Wayne Bridge and a never playing Vicente we have the same team with improved replacements for Hammond and Dicker, I completely fail to get where youre coming from with that statement?

Agreed.
If we'd gone 'all or nothing' for the dream last year then it wouldn't have taken us 6 months to sign a top striker or Matt Upson.
We'd have replaced Dicker too.
It's all been measured.

The big problem that we're all having to live with this year is that Ken Brown massively overspent and Tony let him (He'd never run a football club before. He's entitled to a mistake or two.)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How bloody stupid are you.

Parachute payments are a great idea.

Clubs have like a 50m wage bill. This can't disappear over two months. They also can't prepare for relegation. I.e stoke could be third end of jan and still go down on a 60m wage bill and then you expect them to have a 40m loss the next year?

If the parachute money is a disadvantage all relegated teams would go straight back up which rarely happens and if they do that parachute money for the remaining years gets split to football league clubs.

This is pure jealousy.

Clearly very stupid according to you.

I said keep the parachute payments - for clubs in genuine financial difficulty - but make the penalty for drawing on the fund a transfer embago.

What on earth is the justification for allowing Reading to spend £24,000 of parachute money a week to sign Wayne Bridge ???

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Clearly very stupid according to you.

I said keep the parachute payments - for clubs in genuine financial difficulty - but make the penalty for drawing on the fund a transfer embago.

What on earth is the justification for allowing Reading to spend £24,000 of parachute money a week to sign Wayne Bridge ???

It's justified because they went up and spent close to nothing! Doubt reading will even dip into parachute money this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here