[Football] Joey Barton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep correct - that is a perfectly fine thing to say - it ‘seems like’ but I don’t know for sure. If you can’t handle opinions that are different best not to try and take them apart when they make sense for some lefty likes 👍
Let’s try a different approach. Why does it seem like box ticking then? Is it purely because the female tally is up?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don’t like Barton at all, he’s a full on cauk spiralling, maybe even suffering with forms of mental illness, who knows - main thing is he’s off the rails and overly offensive.

I don’t like sexism, racism or /insert ism’s, like most generally decent people.

However, a rational personal can still correctly identify and point out the endeavours made by many companies over the past few years (and presently), in which they’re ’ticking the boxes’ by largely over populating/over representing hires largely based on gender and ethnicity, oftentimes regardless of ability in the field.

Whether it’s football commentators, military hires, political representatives, governmental departments, commercial ads on tv, etc, etc.

it’s very clearly and very plainly happening, and it doesn’t make one a racist/sexist/something-ist to point it out and have a conversation about it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don’t like Barton at all, he’s a full on cauk spiralling, maybe even suffering with forms of mental illness, who knows - main thing is he’s off the rails and overly offensive.

I don’t like sexism, racism or /insert ism’s, like most generally decent people.

However, a rational personal can still correctly identify and point out the endeavours made by many companies over the past few years (and presently), in which they’re ’ticking the boxes’ by largely over populating/over representing hires largely based on gender and ethnicity, oftentimes regardless of ability in the field.

Whether it’s football commentators, military hires, political representatives, governmental departments, commercial ads on tv, etc, etc.

it’s very clearly and very plainly happening, and it doesn’t make one a racist/sexist/something-ist to point it out and have a conversation about it.
Can you please do this then? I mean point out all the box ticking based on gender and ethnicity in football, military, political representatives, government departments, commercial ads on tv. It will be good to see these examples.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can you please do this then? I mean point out all the box ticking based on gender and ethnicity in football, military, political representatives, government departments, commercial ads on tv. It will be good to see these examples.
Clinton Morrison & Gabby Abonahor surely ? Neither of them can barely string a sentence together !

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Clinton Morrison & Gabby Abonahor surely ? Neither of them can barely string a sentence together !
Nor can many of the pundits you see on soccer Saturday. They are all as bad as each other. Gabby A is dreadful but clickbait like most of the other jokers on talksport.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nor can many of the pundits you see on soccer Saturday. They are all as bad as each other. Gabby A is dreadful but clickbait like most of the other jokers on talksport.
Agreed - but surely they are not the absolute best either broadcaster can find. So presumably it’s some kind of box ticking.

Which actually I don’t mind seeing as came from a place of 0 people of colour or women on the main BBC & Sky Sports football programs

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s happening in my wife’s organisation right now, where they’re only hiring BAME execs and one has already left along with many of the previous senior leaders.

My company was openly told by a management consultant “stop hiring old white men”.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Nonsense. Morrison is eloquent and insightful.

But he does have a black working class accent so you may benefit by adjusting your filter settings.

(unfamiliar with GA as a pundit so I can't comment on your insights there)

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
It’s happening in my wife’s organisation right now, where they’re only hiring BAME execs and one has already left along with many of the previous senior leaders.

My company was openly told by a management consultant “stop hiring old white men”.
That's illegal as well as wrong.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

Maybe they have read the literature that very clearly shows that diverse groups make better decisions. So rather than box ticking they hire people because they will improve things. The research is clear on this. Hiring lots of people from the same background with the same life experiences and education leads to worse decisions. Contrasting views are good.

I have been in meetings for my job with people making decisions that affect millions of people when the people affected do not have a voice in the room. It is nuts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Maybe they have read the literature that very clearly shows that diverse groups make better decisions. So rather than box ticking they hire people because they will improve things. The research is clear on this. Hiring lots of people from the same background with the same life experiences and education leads to worse decisions. Contrasting views are good.

I have been in meetings for my job with people making decisions that affect millions of people when the people affected do not have a voice in the room. It is nuts.
I agree with you. My point is that EDI is, in places, being badly or illegally implemented.

People are sheep.

Wife’s org are on their third restructuring and nearly bust BTW.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

You are so right, there is an over representation, regardless of ability, based on gender and ethnicity, the numbers of white males on telly, is still disproportionate, I suspect it is in the Police, Military, Politics, too.

Remember the good old days when Floella Benjamin and Trevor Mcdonald were the only black people on TV on a daily basis, and the Minstrels at the weekend, oh and Jim Davidsons mate Chalky used to get a mention.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You are so right, there is an over representation, regardless of ability, based on gender and ethnicity, the numbers of white males on telly, is still disproportionate, I suspect it is in the Police, Military, Politics, too.

Remember the good old days when Floella Benjamin and Trevor Mcdonald were the only black people on TV on a daily basis, and the Minstrels at the weekend, oh and Jim Davidsons mate Chalky used to get a mention.
I really enjoy the diversity on the BBC (MOTD and the R5 football commentary side kicks and pundits). I will admit to being a prejudiced southern white middle aged man by default 20 years ago, instantly triggered by a working class accent, especially a black one. 'Obviously' I wasn't racists. I simply though that the likes of Morrison were a bit thick (I would put Merson into that camp too, doubly proving that I wasn't racist. Ahem.). Then I started to listen to what they said. And started listening more closely to all of them. Waddle used to really irritate me with his 'should of went' bollocks. But that's simply the working class style of speaking in his region of origin. His insights (a bit old school admittedly) I realized were interesting. Same with Morrison. Black working class London, spare me. But hang on, his views are nuanced. His knowledge is immense. Balanced judgement. Once I had changed my receiver settings, listening to these people started to be enjoyable.

But I agree with @Guinness Boy that institutions and employees can f*** all this up. By box ticking they are actually being racist. And acting against the best interest of their organization. Who wants the second rate applicant getting the job just so management can tick a box in the paperwork? It shows a lack of respect by the management for its present workforce, and a disregard for the health and success of the organization. This is what happens when people who don't believe in equality are put in change of eliminating prejudice. The lazy fuckers just make a list with boxes to tick.

Organizations must ensure that jobsworths and percentage players don't rise to the top.

The irony is that lots of minorities and women (women are not a minority, but a previously excluded cohort) getting on, even if in some cases in jobs they did not merit, changes the landscape and makes it easier, going forward, for people to be employed on merit. It serves a purpose to have all of society visibly represented (even if some of them don't merit their position).

After all, we managed reasonably well for hundreds of years allowing only white men, a proportion of whom were entirely unsuitable, to be given all the positions of power and influence. So I'm not going to wet my pants if a few of the women, ethnic minorities, disabled, differently abled, or autistic folk who get gainful employment are a bit shit. They are not the exceptions that prove the rule. And we are getting better at employing people now. Not in every sector, and not all that well (as noted above) in some. But the trajectory is encouraging.

Binning anti-discrimination law could be weaponized by the tories soon, of course, as part of the anti-woke agenda. If that meant the possibility of Suella Braverman being told to stop bothering the world of politics and get back in the kitchen, I must confess, I would be conflicted. My bad. I did say I used to be instinctively racist and sexist. It's probably genetic, so I blame my parents.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oops! I am now so used to interpreting diverse punditry I completely missed that little digression from 'the white middle class norm'. Still, it's the insight and wisdom that counts rather than presentation style. Unfortunately, in this case......(you can guess the rest). ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s astonishing that Agbonlahor has somehow found a radio job. Thick as two planks, tedious non-funny attempted wind ups of fans that hate Villa (everyone), awful diction.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
For anyone interested in reading about why firms can benefit from targeting different types in their recruitment I can’t recommend this book enough. Rebel ideas by Matthew Syed.

Amazon product

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports