Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Joey Barton

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
When Joey Barton said there should be a meritocracy in his interview with Piers Morgan, I got the feeling that he was referring to himself. That he has more merit than the pundits he singles out for this week's attack.

My opinion of Joey Barton is that he has no merit in anything, is unemployable, and should not be anywhere near a microphone.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've just googled Stephen Caulker, he was dropped from Bet365 because of outspoken comments about a gambling addiction.

Not sure how that is related to anything.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not a clue who has gone for jobs or not or their abilities - of course the best person should get the job. But there has been a sudden massive influx of female pundits and comms into the men’s game and it does seem like box ticking. Same as getting male pundits onto the women’s game TV bits when some clearly aren’t that knowledgeable on it. It’s great to have diversity but it can / has gone a bit too far in box ticking now for me. Too scared to have an all male panel in the mens game sometimes it seems… That much I think is true and I’m quite happy to speak my mind on it as many are scared or afraid to say it. They can’t all suddenly be there at once and ready and have earned it. I’m sure Stephen Caulker said something the other day about suddenly not getting a job he’d been offered etc (cba to look it up) but none of us can say the reasons for sure, and I think appearance, gender etc is being used as part of the selection process. Same as the playing level being used for shite pundits too - it’s not just gender.
Why is it box ticking.

Is it not more because talented women now have an opportunity to enter the ring, which they never had before because of the inherent prejudice in previous years. Football is no longer a male only preserve, and is all the better for it.

There may be good and poor individuals but that doesn't mean all men are good and all women are bad (or vice versa)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That Eni Aluko is a terrible footballer and worse pundit is as valid a point as I can think of.

It’s not sexist or racist to say so. But the side notes should permanently state that there are white male ex players who are just as bad, or worse.
You might find this enlightening (or not).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why is it box ticking.

Is it not more because talented women now have an opportunity to enter the ring, which they never had before because of the inherent prejudice in previous years. Football is no longer a male only preserve, and is all the better for it.

There may be good and poor individuals but that doesn't mean all men are good and all women are bad (or vice versa)
Can I just re-iterate that TV is a different industry. It is under no remit to reflect football.

As an aside, I wonder what Joey Barton thinks about female tennis presenter ?

Many of which have mediocre tennis careers but are very good broadcasters and are allowed to comment freely on the men's game ?

Where they fast tracked too ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've just googled Stephen Caulker, he was dropped from Bet365 because of outspoken comments about a gambling addiction.

Not sure how that is related to anything.
Ah yes that’s it. It’s not as such but it’s still unfair - think it was a show and bet365 were a sponsor or something. But yes, maybe television and the gross world of media and virtue signalling is more my gripe.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ah yes that’s it. It’s not as such but it’s still unfair - think it was a show and bet365 were a sponsor or something. But yes, maybe television and the gross world of media and virtue signalling is more my gripe.

I've never heard an accurate description, but could you define "virtue signalling" for me.

As for the "gross world" of media, have you been on Twitter recently ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Why is it box ticking.

No of course not and I take your point. Ok, it MAY be box ticking - it’s also opinion and subjective of course. Or even a massive coincidence. But there are also several new pundits appeared who (to me) are terrible and not a good listen. Same as Owen etc.

It may be / certainly is partly a case of equal opportunities suddenly presenting itself I don’t doubt that but I also think the scale then started tipping the other way and some were getting jobs on mens football who weren’t very good. Who knows for sure… Thought provoking chat though 👍

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've never heard an accurate description, but could you define "virtue signalling" for me.

As for the "gross world" of media, have you been on Twitter recently ?
Saying / doing things to try and seem like a fair or good person or company in this instance, when they are actually the opposite or nonsensical. Box ticking to make themselves feel or look better, usually getting offended on behalf of others or fixing a problem that isn’t there. I think the soccer Saturday blokes were a victim of this if memory serves me right.

Nope, hate all mainstream social media I’m afraid - it’s a drug of complete falsehood and breeds anxiety and mental health issues on the whole in my opinion 🤣

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not a clue who has gone for jobs or not or their abilities - of course the best person should get the job. But there has been a sudden massive influx of female pundits and comms into the men’s game and it does seem like box ticking. Same as getting male pundits onto the women’s game TV bits when some clearly aren’t that knowledgeable on it. It’s great to have diversity but it can / has gone a bit too far in box ticking now for me. Too scared to have an all male panel in the mens game sometimes it seems… That much I think is true and I’m quite happy to speak my mind on it as many are scared or afraid to say it. They can’t all suddenly be there at once and ready and have earned it. I’m sure Stephen Caulker said something the other day about suddenly not getting a job he’d been offered etc (cba to look it up) but none of us can say the reasons for sure, and I think appearance, gender etc is being used as part of the selection process. Same as the playing level being used for shite pundits too - it’s not just gender.
It could be something as simple as women not being paid as much as men. The tv company getting the same work on the cheap.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
It's probably been said further up the thread but people like Barton (and Lawrence Fox etc) just hate the idea of a level playing field because they will lose the jobs they didn't really have the talent for but got because 'white male'. More competition equals less work for the mediocre but privileged. Anyone who isn't a white male getting the job is therefore a box ticking exercise because their egos are too fragile to contemplate the alternative.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Mental illness.

"I will be calling them all serial killers from now on. Every clip you f****** put out. Told you, I don’t care anymore. We’ve all had enough of your ‘Woke’, ‘DEI’ bullshit. I hope everyone who agrees with me, gets right after your social media every time you force this nonsense on us."

And now he's fallen out with Gary Neville too:
"Gary, please keep your head down or you will get emptied as well. "

I'm not very good at Gangsta dissing, can anyone explain the meaning of "getting emptied"?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You might find this enlightening (or not).

I’m well aware of the story. It’s why she’s untouchable, even though she’s awful.

To deconstruct Barton, we need to look at what he isn’t saying, as well as what he is. I’d have no real problem with him going for her if he was also going for Merson, who is the worst pundit on telly, and pointing out that Merson only got his job because he’s one of the lads and only keeps it because he ticks the addiction box. For some reason Joey seems to be reluctant with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here