Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Hart

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has he got a bit of Scottish blood in him? Some of his goalkeeping is a dead ringer for 70's Scottish keepers.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Except Hart was about 2 yards outside his area, so could only have headed it at best. I don't know what he thought he was doing coming out like that, it was never his, and he can see the defender.

Indeed. Nastastic was 100% in control of the situation. It was the simplest of knock backs to the keeper which 1) would have stopped Torres scoring and 2) would have given city the ball back and in full control of it. There was literally NO threat of Torres scoring from that position before Hart moved.

There is NO blame on the defender at all. He has his body in complete "head it back to the keeper" mode. He knows what he's going to do.

To sit here and claim "he could have changed his mind" is unfair on him. Hart has royally screwed him over there.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Nas had left it, it was Joe's. He would've got there comfortably before Torres. It's ALL about what the communication was.

As an Ex Keeper, absolutely this. It was Joe Hart's call, whether he made it or not. If he had shouted, its the defenders fault. Not that most will see it that way.

The original mistake is Hart making the decision to go for it. That is in essence the error. Okay, once he's made that mistake he then has a communication issue with the defender, which could be discussed, but the error lies solely with Hart in the first instant. I would have thought almost every defender in that same situation hearing the shout 'keepers' would be thinking that 3 yards outside the box, the keeper is saying it is safe for me to head it back to him. That is all Nas has done. Dreadful error in judgement from Hart.

He was hyped up before the Euro's (there was a thread on here saying he was the best in the world...) and since then he has swallowed the hype and his decision making, positioning and concentration is all over the shop.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Indeed. Nastastic was 100% in control of the situation. It was the simplest of knock backs to the keeper which 1) would have stopped Torres scoring and 2) would have given city the ball back and in full control of it. There was literally NO threat of Torres scoring from that position before Hart moved.

There is NO blame on the defender at all. He has his body in complete "head it back to the keeper" mode. He knows what he's going to do.

To sit here and claim "he could have changed his mind" is unfair on him. Hart has royally screwed him over there.

To be fair, I do think he's a decent keeper, but they all have blips along the way and he has made a number of errors, but he is still young and he'll learn and come back, I'm sure. No need to write him off yet.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The original mistake is Hart making the decision to go for it. That is in essence the error. Okay, once he's made that mistake he then has a communication issue with the defender, which could be discussed, but the error lies solely with Hart in the first instant. I would have thought almost every defender in that same situation hearing the shout 'keepers' would be thinking that 3 yards outside the box, the keeper is saying it is safe for me to head it back to him. That is all Nas has done. Dreadful error in judgement from Hart.

He was hyped up before the Euro's (there was a thread on here saying he was the best in the world...) and since then he has swallowed the hype and his decision making, positioning and concentration is all over the shop.

Plus, people are forgetting it's really RATHER loud in a stadium of 35000 people SCREAMING for Torres to chase down the defender in the last minute of a huge match.

Probably a bit louder than a Sunday league match where every player on the pitch hears the call.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be fair, I do think he's a decent keeper, but they all have blips along the way and he has made a number of errors, but he is still young and he'll learn and come back, I'm sure. No need to write him off yet.

Oh, I agree with you. He's a very good keeper.

It was just a terrible piece of misjudgment.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hodgson has already intimated that the November friendlies will be used to try different players, different formations, etc. he already has laid the groundwork to drop hart without it being about hart making mistakes (some would suggest dropping a keeper in a bad run of form compounds things) so will probably frame it as such, I.e. "In my mind, joe is still the number one keeper, these friendlies are a chance to try out different players, and that's the only reason joe isn't in my starting eleven. I have complete faith in him as goal keeper".

With man city, it won't be so easy. There's an upcoming cup match, but they didn't drop him in the last round (as far as I remember, could be wrong) so won't be able to argue they're changing it for the cup, and then leaving the cup keeper in because of a reward for a good performance.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Joe Hart is absolutely quality.

He's made a few gaffs recently, yesterday's one I think was 50/50 - but that doesn't mean he's not still easily the best English keeper there is.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Agreed. Hart has made quite a few mistakes recently. Forster and Ruddy need game time in the up and coming friendlies. The City manager needs to drop Hart. If he's as good as some people think he is Hart should come back stronger.

i think he has to try Forster if he is actually going to drop Hart - Ruddy had an absolutely shambolic game against Chelsea, just when opportunity came knocking for him after Hart's first gaffe - you can't drop the best keeper we have (which is obviously Joe Hart) because of recent mistakes and replace him with a keeper who is not as good, and has also made recent mistakes

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is highly possible, likely even, that Hart will be back on form and the undisputed No1 by next summer so its not slaughtering him for the sake of it.

But that isn't really the point about the Chile game. You have Forster, who doesn't have a single cap, yet is quite possibly our second-best keeper. I would have said he had to play even without yesterday. If Hart gets injured, Forster's first game for England can't be against Brazil in Rio in a group game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is highly possible, likely even, that Hart will be back on form and the undisputed No1 by next summer so its not slaughtering him for the sake of it.

But that isn't really the point about the Chile game. You have Forster, who doesn't have a single cap, yet is quite possibly our second-best keeper. I would have said he had to play even without yesterday. If Hart gets injured, Forster's first game for England can't be against Brazil in Rio in a group game.

Spot on

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks like City have lost patience with Hart. I guess this will now force Roy to look at Forster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here