Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Joe Biden

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Biden is fine when he's delivering a prepared speech from the teleprompter with nobody challenging or questioning him like last night. It was a bit different during the earlier televised debates. He can be quite gaffe prone like the time he mixed up the number of people who had died from Covid 19 with the number of people who had been been made redundant by it. It just seems to me he was the default candidate and nothing really changed that during the election process which is a pity as there were other options. I though Mayor Pete came over pretty well but America is probably still not ready for an openly gay President and I was impressed with Kamala Harris so I'm glad he chose her as VP. Some of my Democrat friends seem to be thinking this is a done deal, I think it's anything but. Trump could still take this and you have to factor in voter suppression, the ongoing postal votes issue and alleged foreign interference. It's going to be an interesting ride

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think in the US if you don't have a passport and therefore at least a passing interest in global affairs or the impact of your foreign policy you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Considering how hard it has been for groups in the US to obtain the right to vote throughout its history this suggestion is pretty awful.
Ranks up there with Herr Ts belief that people in this country should be required to take a test to measure their suitability and how mentally equipped they are, before being allowed to have the right to vote.
Erecting barriers like these, to prevent people from being allowed to vote is not a good look.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
They're taking the same risk they took last time - it doesn't matter how dull our candidate is, they can't lose to Trump. Second time lucky?

I assume the Dems plan would be for Biden to win, serve one term then step aside to allow Harris to lead their ticket in 2024.

I'd rather see Biden win than Trump, but it says very little for the whole American political system that that is the choice on offer.

Back of the net. :goal:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Considering how hard it has been for groups in the US to obtain the right to vote throughout its history this suggestion is pretty awful.
Ranks up there with Herr Ts belief that people in this country should be required to take a test to measure their suitability and how mentally equipped they are, before being allowed to have the right to vote.
Erecting barriers like these, to prevent people from being allowed to vote is not a good look.

Yes of course and whilst I wouldn’t say my post was entirely tongue in cheek it would be fairer to have said my aim was to convey that realistically America’s ills are born out of the populace’s more or less total reliance/lapping up of disinformation to shape their voting intentions.

Some of the things their candidates come out with and yet people believe it all hook line and sinker is just sublimely ridiculous.

Yes one could argue Brexit showed we too are susceptible as a population but nowhere near as bad as across the pond.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes of course and whilst I wouldn’t say my post was entirely tongue in cheek it would be fairer to have said my aim was to convey that realistically America’s ills are born out of the populace’s more or less total reliance/lapping up of disinformation to shape their voting intentions.

Some of the things their candidates come out with and yet people believe it all hook line and sinker is just sublimely ridiculous.

Yes one could argue Brexit showed we too are susceptible as a population but nowhere near as bad as across the pond.

one could argue that voters in any country that embrace a democratic process can be accused of lapping up disinformation, its what the losing side constantly accuse the winning side of being guilty of, in numerous countries, in every vote for decades.

One could argue that Brexit just showed how some people are susceptible in believing the EU is a good thing.....its all subjective, and im sure there is a thread somewhere for those that wish to continue that particular discussion

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Can't read through the full thread but I live in NYC.

I think Trump will win again.

I say this as someone who leans left (although I hate how politicized every little detail is in this country - you can't just be an individual with a brain and your own views anymore - you're either left or right and therefore a friend or foe).

Can't trust the media at all. On the right or on the left. Don't trust the polls (especially after 2015's election).

Biden has dementia, or has been branded very effectively as having dementia. Trump will tear him to pieces in the debates.
How these are our two choices is beyond me...

I've been talking with some peeps in NYC who will likely vote Trump (my neighbour being one of them). Seems a lot of them lay low in NYC and keep their political leanings quiet, else face the wrath of the mob.
From what I can gather a lot of these people just hate really the radical left. They don't particularly like Trump but they are horrified (and scared) of cancel culture and identity politics.
They feel they can barely open their mouths without fear of being burned at the stake.

I'm on a greencard and therefore can't vote. I'd be trying to get Trump out because the man is a compulsive liar, narcissistic and criminal. But I fear Biden is not fit for the role of President.

tldr; America is f*cked.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Not for me mate. He’s a poor choice.

Most people are voting for him because he’s not trump. https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2020/08/13/election-2020-voters-are-highly-engaged-but-nearly-half-expect-to-have-difficulties-voting/?utm_content=buffer52a93&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Why? His policy positions are far out of touch with what Americans actually think. You can throw left/right labels anywhere you like, but most Americans are surprisingly left wing when you go issue for issue. Do they need Medicare for all? 80% of democrats say yes, and even 50% of self-described republicans say yes too. 70% want to legalise and regulate marijuana. 60% want to address climate change WITH a great new deal. Do big corporations need to pay their fair share of taxes? Are private prisons a good thing? Should they be at war constantly? Does the minimum wage need to be raised and tied to inflation? All popular proposals and all labelled as ‘left wing’.

When you take labels out of it, and go issue for issue, you realise both Trump and Biden are both awful candidates who do not represent the interests of the people in any way whatsoever. You have big lobbyist groups who do very good business propping up their chosen candidates and making sure people like Bernie Sanders never get to actually create real change. I would vote for Biden, but only because he’s not trump. He needs to go. But I wouldn’t expect any real difference in how the country runs. No nationalised heath care system. No aggressive climate change. Nothing. It’s business as usual.

And most Americans know it, so they won’t come out to vote. It’s Hillary all over again.

Maybe he wins, and I really hope he does, because Trump is so much worse. But it’ll be close.

Hits the nail on the head. Great post.

Last edited:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I'm not taking sides or getting sucked into believing any journalistic view of this as gospel, but wasn't Biden involved in some sort of sexual abuse stuff on woman however long ago it was?
Also, wasn't Donald Trump accusing him of paedophilia a few months back?

What was all that about?

If you try to give credence to "things Trump has accused people of" then you'll find that's a long road to travel. The guy lies every day, and has no conscience about the results of his lies.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT03vCaL-F0

In the end its the same old story. The oligarchs of the US - the bank owners - have already decided who gets elected, as they did with the latest 20 or so presidents. They make the decisions, their executers (the secret services) carry it out through their PR division (the media) who then with proven propaganda methods tell the people who to vote for. If the banks want Trump elected, he will get elected. If the banks wants Biden elected, he will get elected. Its the greatest show on earth.

Exactly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here