Job Vacancy - Recruitment Consultant - no experience necessary - excellent £££

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why does a Skoda have heated a rear windscreen................to keep your hands warm when your pushing it.

A guy goes into his local garage and asks "Do you have a windscreen wiper for my Skoda"
"Sounds like a fair swap" replied the mechanic.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've never particularly cared for The Commander on this forum, I often found him to be rather opinionated and does come across as a little arrogant, however, in this instance he's offering a very good shot at a (potentially) very well paid job, I'm not sure he deserves the heat he's taking for it. I appreciate it all might sound too cocky for some, but if somebody on here takes the opportunity and succeeds then surely that's a good thing, right? Just wish I had the belief to throw myself into something like this.

Why is a skoda and a baby similar?
They both never go anywhere without a rattle

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I've never particularly cared for The Commander on this forum, I often found him to be rather opinionated and does come across as a little arrogant, however, in this instance he's offering a very good shot at a (potentially) very well paid job, I'm not sure he deserves the heat he's taking for it. I appreciate it all might sound too cocky for some, but if somebody on here takes the opportunity and succeeds then surely that's a good thing, right? Just wish I had the belief to throw myself into something like this.

It takes all kinds.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've never particularly cared for The Commander on this forum

I'm stunned, I always assumed I was universally loved and respected in equal measure. An Inigo Calderon kind of figure.

Just wish I had the belief to throw myself into something like this.

This is a very good point, and this is why most people fail at it. It needs someone who has unwavering self-belief, and refuses to be beaten. Which is very, very hard to find.

As for taking some heat, I expected it but it's not as hot(?) as last time when I was told I was 'playing with people's lives'. That time I ended up with a superstar, even if he is a bloody Palace fan. I do find it a bit odd that I don't get more applications though, there must be loads of young lads* on NSC who haven't really worked out what they want to do yet, but have a bit of chat and loads of energy and want to make some serious cash and have great fun doing so? Where are they?

*obviously you don't have to be young or a lad to apply, that would fall foul of recruitment discrimination laws, which wouldn't be great for a recruitment company!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do find it a bit odd that I don't get more applications though, there must be loads of young lads* on NSC who haven't really worked out what they want to do yet
???
Make no mistake- this is not a job for someone who wants to earn some decent money for a bit while they work out want they want to do with their life

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Don't see where the contradiction is. If you don't know what you want to do yet, then why not throw yourself in to something that could make you really successful? When I started out in recruitment I did just that, I'd been travelling, had no qualifications, messed around a bit, was 23 and had no idea what I wanted to do. Fell into recruitment on the advice of a friend, and never looked back. It's a fantastic opportunity for someone in that kind of situation.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I think anyone who offers an opportunity/s to members (and guests, as the whole internet world can read the post / thread) is a good solid person in my opinion, Commander has laid out his requirements, loud and clear, I'm sure there will be someone that can fit his needs.

Good luck to whoever gets the position, and well done Commander for giving people a chance :clap:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think anyone who offers an opportunity/s to members (and guests, as the whole internet world can read the post / thread) is a good solid person in my opinion, Commander has laid out his requirements, loud and clear, I'm sure there will be someone that can fit his needs.

Good luck to whoever gets the position, and well done Commander for giving people a chance :clap:

Spot on.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Indeed, if it wasn't for the fact that I already have a job in an field where I have worked for 30 years and am on a decent salary, (and if I were young enough) :down:, this would be a chance I would jump at.

Sounds like a great opportunity for someone

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I feel that Commander is getting a lot of stick because in general the recruitment industry is awash with absolute shysters. It's all flim flam and chicanery, and so very few of them are remotely decent. Of course they are after making the company money, and are going to say whatever they can to match a candidate and job - but that doesn't mean they should outright lie about things.

I think I'd agree with you more Commander if your industry was as honest, but on a whole they are not - so your posts are related to your firm and no doubt all true, but can you say the same about your previous employers? Were they anywhere near as good? So many agencies tend to pretend they are out looking to fill you in a role, of course people are naive to believe that but frankly I feel the recruitment industry should not be telling candidates such nonsense.

Of course, once you start working with higher end or niche businesses, everything changes. Assuming you are a decent candidate for their customers, you get treated with honesty (mostly) and it's a straightforward business relationship. So I can well imagine that BJ is a decent firm and there is absolutely nothing wrong with offering a premium service, all products and industries need a range after all.

Good on you for offering it here and I sincerely hope an NSC or two do apply and are successful.

When you start you own firm, please don't follow the majority of the industry. Oh, and probably don't have the initials BJ. It's too easy.

Regrads,
David, BJ candidate

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I feel that Commander is getting a lot of stick because in general the recruitment industry is awash with absolute shysters. It's all flim flam and chicanery, and so very few of them are remotely decent. Of course they are after making the company money, and are going to say whatever they can to match a candidate and job - but that doesn't mean they should outright lie about things.

I think I'd agree with you more Commander if your industry was as honest, but on a whole they are not - so your posts are related to your firm and no doubt all true, but can you say the same about your previous employers? Were they anywhere near as good? So many agencies tend to pretend they are out looking to fill you in a role, of course people are naive to believe that but frankly I feel the recruitment industry should not be telling candidates such nonsense.

Of course, once you start working with higher end or niche businesses, everything changes. Assuming you are a decent candidate for their customers, you get treated with honesty (mostly) and it's a straightforward business relationship. So I can well imagine that BJ is a decent firm and there is absolutely nothing wrong with offering a premium service, all products and industries need a range after all.

Good on you for offering it here and I sincerely hope an NSC or two do apply and are successful.

When you start you own firm, please don't follow the majority of the industry. Oh, and probably don't have the initials BJ. It's too easy.

Regrads,
David, BJ candidate

The recruitment industry in general is a cowboy industry, but it is improving slowly. Part of the reason the service varies so greatly is because in an industry where 90% of the work you do is unpaid, it's easy to get frustrated and just jump around from candidate to candidate and client to client, not getting back to people properly until finally someone makes you some money, especially when you are 21 years old and don't have much in the way of life experience.

The industry is slowly starting to realise this, and that is why the best agencies are slowly starting to refuse to work like this. You couldn't ask a builder to build you a house, and then after two months solid work when he presents you with the finish house you say "Sorry, I've changed my mind".

Decent agencies are starting to do more and more retained search, where at least a proportion of the fee is paid up front before the search begins, which then means that the consultant is under pressure to deliver an excellent services, and concentrate on this one client, which obviously makes more sense for everyone. Agencies refusing to work for free will make the industry more reputable and less full of chancers and shysters.

With regard to other agencies I've worked for, one was great, a market leader and provided a superb service and genuinely cared about the candidates, another were total cowboys and would do anything for a quick buck, another were nicey-nicey and didn't make a great deal of money but were probably a nice one to work for as a candidate, and the other one did some of the right things, but had the wrong person in charge. My current one are a world away from any of them, and operate on a totally different level, especially when it comes to training and development of their staff (and making lots of money!)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The recruitment industry in general is a cowboy industry, but it is improving slowly. Part of the reason the service varies so greatly is because in an industry where 90% of the work you do is unpaid, it's easy to get frustrated and just jump around from candidate to candidate and client to client, not getting back to people properly until finally someone makes you some money, especially when you are 21 years old and don't have much in the way of life experience.

i take this point, seems pretty fair enough. however the problem as i see it is a culture of being in sales mode constantly, of over promising, being dishonest about how much one cares about the candidate. you dont actually want to get me this position, you dont really think its ideal for me; you just want to fill the position for the client. then promising to folllow up your interest with the company, keep you updated to progress. this all leads to false hopes and consequently the negative emotions after failing to land that perfect job are directed at the recruitment consultant. they reap what they sow. maybe its just me but i'd rather consultants where a bit more matter of fact about it - heres an interesting vacancy you might be suitable for, i'll follow up if your CV is well received.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Morning Everyone,

Some of you may remember me from past years as a Palace fan living in Hove. Whilst I mainly used these boards as a source of information for Brighton & Hove more than the football club, I did occasionally get drawn into arguments regarding BHAFC vs CPFC, probably with Commander himself, which we now do in person!

I saw the original advert that Commander posted back in the Summer of 2014, whilst I was still living in South America. I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do when I got back to the UK and the prospect of working in a dull office job did not fill me with enthusiasm. So, when I saw the advert to work at Barrington James, I was immediately intrigued as I knew there were financial benefits along with genuine career progression.

When I received the offer to work at Barrington James, I was delighted as it's certainly a totally different environment to any job I have had previously. Ironically, I don't consider myself "salesy" at all and have never worked in that way before, but the training, incentives and atmosphere give you the tools necessary to succeed if you have the mentality to work hard.

It is a sales job after all and working hard is a given but the financial rewards far outweigh any other job I could have applied for in the short-term. Consequently I've gone on to have a salary roughly double what I would have expected at this stage when I first got back to the UK, regular incentives including an all expenses paid trip to Las Vegas, regular international trips to visit clients and go to conferences, lunches with the directors in London's swankiest restaurants etc.

I'm absolutely delighted that I made the choice to join Barrington James, it's a demanding industry and not everyone makes it but the team that the Commander has created has given us the tools to succeed far more frequently and I'd genuinely relish the chance to join this team as it's far more likely to be a recipe for success than disaster, along with a great salary and working conditions to boot.

I probably wasn't aware of the rep that the Recruitment Industry has overall and having worked in it now for 18 months, I can empathise with some of the opinions as there are some cowboys out there, we firmly believe that the ones who are honest and manage their clients expectations without trying to sell the world are the ones that get ahead and that's exactly what I've tried to achieve.

If anyone would like to have an informal chat with me also, I'm happy to do so. My e-mail is : churley@barringtonjames.com

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Morning Everyone,

Some of you may remember me from past years as a Palace fan living in Hove. Whilst I mainly used these boards as a source of information for Brighton & Hove more than the football club, I did occasionally get drawn into arguments regarding BHAFC vs CPFC, probably with Commander himself, which we now do in person!

I saw the original advert that Commander posted back in the Summer of 2014, whilst I was still living in South America. I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do when I got back to the UK and the prospect of working in a dull office job did not fill me with enthusiasm. So, when I saw the advert to work at Barrington James, I was immediately intrigued as I knew there were financial benefits along with genuine career progression.

When I received the offer to work at Barrington James, I was delighted as it's certainly a totally different environment to any job I have had previously. Ironically, I don't consider myself "salesy" at all and have never worked in that way before, but the training, incentives and atmosphere give you the tools necessary to succeed if you have the mentality to work hard.

It is a sales job after all and working hard is a given but the financial rewards far outweigh any other job I could have applied for in the short-term. Consequently I've gone on to have a salary roughly double what I would have expected at this stage when I first got back to the UK, regular incentives including an all expenses paid trip to Las Vegas, regular international trips to visit clients and go to conferences, lunches with the directors in London's swankiest restaurants etc.

I'm absolutely delighted that I made the choice to join Barrington James, it's a demanding industry and not everyone makes it but the team that the Commander has created has given us the tools to succeed far more frequently and I'd genuinely relish the chance to join this team as it's far more likely to be a recipe for success than disaster, along with a great salary and working conditions to boot.

I probably wasn't aware of the rep that the Recruitment Industry has overall and having worked in it now for 18 months, I can empathise with some of the opinions as there are some cowboys out there, we firmly believe that the ones who are honest and manage their clients expectations without trying to sell the world are the ones that get ahead and that's exactly what I've tried to achieve.

If anyone would like to have an informal chat with me also, I'm happy to do so. My e-mail is : churley@barringtonjames.com

Why you are posting on NSC? Get on with your work.

[emoji3]

you dont actually want to get me this position, you dont really think its ideal for me; you just want to fill the position for the client. .

That's absolutely true, for one simple reason. The employer is the one who is paying the bill, not the employee.

It's the same with estate agents; the sellers pays the commission, there is no charge for the buyer.

So both the recruitment agent´s and the estate agent's primary responsibility is to the employer and the seller respectively. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

This doesn´t mean that the agent shouldn´t give top notch service to the candidate or buyer; if they have any sense and are in any way successful in cut throat markets they will do this as a matter of course.

The downside in this business model is that it can create money grabbing agencies who give very little though to the candidate/buyer. It's a recipe for cowboys.

The upside is that the service to both job seeker and house buyer is a free service.

Would you be happy to pay to find a job or to find a new house? Most people wouldn't. And even if some people would be prepared to pay this would significantly reduce the number of potential candidates or house buyers, which can´t be a good thing for employers or house sellers

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's absolutely true, for one simple reason. The employer is the one who is paying the bill, not the employee.

It's the same with estate agents; the sellers pays the commission, there is no charge for the buyer.

So both the recruitment agent´s and the estate agent's primary responsibility is to the employer and the seller respectively. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

This doesn´t mean that the agent shouldn´t give top notch service to the candidate or buyer; if they have any sense and are in any way successful in cut throat markets they will do this as a matter of course.

The downside in this business model is that it can create money grabbing agencies who give very little though to the candidate/buyer. It's a recipe for cowboys.

The upside is that the service to both job seeker and house buyer is a free service.

Would you be happy to pay to find a job or to find a new house? Most people wouldn't. And even if some people would be prepared to pay this would significantly reduce the number of potential candidates or house buyers, which can´t be a good thing for employers or house sellers
It's not exactly a 'free' service to the candidate though.

It costs them time, effort, maybe holiday from work etc. to make an application.

Quite often this is for a role they wouldn't have considered without pestering from an agent.

It us a very minimum politeness that the agent then informs them of how the application has gone in my opinion.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
A guy goes into his local garage and asks "Do you have a windscreen wiper for my Skoda"
"Sounds like a fair swap" replied the mechanic.

Skoda thats built by VW and part of the same family as Porsche that also build rally cars and most of the taxis in Brighton are Skodas. That one or a different one? x

It's not exactly a 'free' service to the candidate though.

It costs them time, effort, maybe holiday from work etc. to make an application.

Quite often this is for a role they wouldn't have considered without pestering from an agent.

It us a very minimum politeness that the agent then informs them of how the application has gone in my opinion.

Come on, of course it's a free service.

Getting up in the morning takes time an effort, would you describe that as not free? And how would you find a job without producing a cv and allocating time for interviews?

And why would you apply for a job that you aren't interested in, no matter how much pestering you get from an agent?

You're right that most recruitment agencies - and estate agents - don't give you as much feedback as they should. Like all things in life, if you have an agent which doesn't give you the service you think they should then the answer is simple; change your agent and find one that does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports