Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Job Vacancy - Recruitment Consultant - no experience necessary - excellent £££

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It is refreshing, as you say, but I've always expected a little more from agents who have tried to place me in a role. Any that haven't got back to me after I've given up time to apply for one of their placements get struck off linked in, and their agency never dealt with again. Is a 60 second call to say the application didn't go anywhere too much politeness to ask for ? :shrug:

Whilst I understand your frustration, when you get 50 applications to a role, sometimes a 60 second call to explain why you were unsuccessful is difficult- if agencies responded to every single application they got, they'd never get anything done! I know it leaves people feeling frustrated, but if you spent a month working for an agency you'd understand why it happens.

What is unacceptable, is when consultants take the time to talk to someone who has applied, go through their CV and get all the details and then say they'll be in touch, and never get back them. That's a totally different story, and is just bad manners. People who do that don't last very long with us.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Whilst I understand your frustration, when you get 50 applications to a role, sometimes a 60 second call to explain why you were unsuccessful is difficult- if agencies responded to every single application they got, they'd never get anything done! I know it leaves people feeling frustrated, but if you spent a month working for an agency you'd understand why it happens.

What is unacceptable, is when consultants take the time to talk to someone who has applied, go through their CV and get all the details and then say they'll be in touch, and never get back them. That's a totally different story, and is just bad manners. People who do that don't last very long with us.
I take your point, but even a template email that will take under 5 seconds to send would be better than nothing in my view.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I take your point, but even a template email that will take under 5 seconds to send would be better than nothing in my view.

Maybe. Just seems a bit crap getting a standard template email to me. That's another thing we don't do anyway- email recruitment. Everything we do is done over the phone, you can't do a proper job for a client or a candidate using email.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Maybe. Just seems a bit crap getting a standard template email to me. That's another thing we don't do anyway- email recruitment. Everything we do is done over the phone, you can't do a proper job for a client or a candidate using email.
Fine, I guess. I still think some sort of indication from a recruitment agency that an application hasn't been sucessful is much better than giving a candidate eternal radio silence if they've spent significant time and effort.

I guess we disagree, and if ever I'm in the position of using an agency again, I'll prepare for the standard level of impoliteness from whatever agent pesters me to apply for a position.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Of course they are only out for themselves. How many companies are out for anyone else? I'm just being honest. Drug companies don't make drugs to make sick people better, they do it to make money. I never understand why people think recruitment consultancies would be any different.

Of course companies are only out for themselves, but when individuals act like that they shouldn't be surprised by the reaction they get.

Fine, I guess. I still think some sort of indication from a recruitment agency that an application hasn't been sucessful is much better than giving a candidate eternal radio silence if they've spent significant time and effort.

I just reported this post for being inappropriate by mistake! Sorry, there was nothing inappropriate about it!
It's ok - I take it as a compliment that you got back to me ;-)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Of course companies are only out for themselves, but when individuals act like that they shouldn't be surprised by the reaction

I just find it odd when people have this perception that recruitment agencies are somehow a (free) service set up to find people jobs. There's the job centre for that, and good luck with finding anything through them!

Agencies are a necessary evil, in an ideal world they wouldn't exist. But we don't live in an ideal world.

Niche, top level agencies do exist because CEOs and high-level executives who are looking to add to their team do not have weeks and weeks to search the market for someone with the right skill set. It's much more cost efficient for them to employ an agency to do it for them. Which is why we position ourselves at the top- we are probably one of the most expensive agencies out there. We also provide the best service. That's another reason this position is so a) hard and b) lucrative because the successful person needs to be able to say 'no' to business that would cheapen the brand, even when it means walking away from thousands of pounds in commission. Not easy when you're 22 and have rent to pay, but you need to be able to see the bigger picture.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I just find it odd when people have this perception that recruitment agencies are somehow a (free) service set up to find people jobs. There's the job centre for that, and good luck with finding anything through them!

Agencies are a necessary evil, in an ideal world they wouldn't exist. But we don't live in an ideal world.

Niche, top level agencies do exist because CEOs and high-level executives who are looking to add to their team do not have weeks and weeks to search the market for someone with the right skill set. It's much more cost efficient for them to employ an agency to do it for them. Which is why we position ourselves at the top- we are probably one of the most expensive agencies out there. We also provide the best service. That's another reason this position is so a) hard and b) lucrative because the successful person needs to be able to say 'no' to business that would cheapen the brand, even when it means walking away from thousands of pounds in commission. Not easy when you're 22 and have rent to pay, but you need to be able to see the bigger picture.

You and your company ethos."we position ourselves at the top- we are probably one of the most expensive agencies out there. We also provide the best service". ....not for me.
I have found the best people/companies are rarely the ones that claim to be.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You and your company ethos."we position ourselves at the top- we are probably one of the most expensive agencies out there. We also provide the best service". ....not for me.

Exactly where I am, just the type of company I would not want to work for

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Why? Our model is to provide the very best service, at a premium cost. What's wrong with that? I've worked for other agencies that do it the other way around- cheap cost for a crap service. Personally I'd much rather work for the former. You'd rather dive an Aston Martin than a Vauxhall Astra, wouldn't you?

Doesn't mean either model is right or wrong, by the way, it's just different ways of doing things. Remembering also that we are dealing with top-level people in multi-billon dollar Pharmaceutical companies- those people cannot afford to make hiring mistakes, so they are happy to pay top rates for someone to make sure that they do it right.

What's wrong with that?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Exactly where I am, just the type of company I would not want to work for

Fair enough, it's not for everyone. You won't make £100K a year working for a cheap, high-volume, low-margin agency though, so it depends on what your goals are. We see plenty of people come and go that aren't right for the model, doesn't mean they are bad people, just that we're not the right company for them. All about opinions eh.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Why? Our model is to provide the very best service, at a premium cost. What's wrong with that? I've worked for other agencies that do it the other way around- cheap cost for a crap service. Personally I'd much rather work for the former. You'd rather dive an Aston Martin than a Vauxhall Astra, wouldn't you?

Doesn't mean either model is right or wrong, by the way, it's just different ways of doing things. Remembering also that we are dealing with top-level people in multi-billon dollar Pharmaceutical companies- those people cannot afford to make hiring mistakes, so they are happy to pay top rates for someone to make sure that they do it right.

What's wrong with that?

....If I drove a £200,000 Aston Martin or Bentley your sort would be impressed and assume I was wealthy....What driving a £200,000 car guarantees is that I would be £190,000 poorer than if I drove a Vauxhall Astra .

You probably do run a successful business but you do come across as rather self opinionated and arrogant.....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
....If I drove a £200,000 Aston Martin or Bentley your sort would be impressed and assume I was wealthy....What driving a £200,000 car guarantees is that I would be £190,000 poorer than if I drove a Vauxhall Astra .

You probably do run a successful business but you do come across as rather self opinionated and arrogant.....

That analogy doesn't really work though, does it? If you were running a massive company and needed a key hire you wouldn't want someone of lower quality because they were cheap, would you?

As for self-confident, yeah, I think we are the best at what we do, and I am proud of what I do. What's the problem with that? Arrogant? I don't think so, personally, but self-confidence can border on arrogance sometimes, and you need to have a bit of that in this job, with the kind of people we deal with, if you are a modest nicey-nicey yes man you'll get walked all over.

The fact is I've seen people join us who are quiet 19 year olds with no experience and straight out of college, they take on our training and development properly and do everything they can to better themselves, and a couple of years later they are buying their first house and helping their parents out financially and doing things and going places they'd never dreamt of. They have to work bloody hard to get there, but when I see these young people succeed like that it makes me proud of what I do. If that makes me arrogant, then I can live with that.

Have you thought about using a recruitment agency to fill the role?

Yep, but because our model is low basic, high commission, the fees a rec to rec would make are not very high as they are based on a percentage of annual salary, so there are other companies they'd rather work with (the kind I mentioned earlier who will be a big basic and very little commission). Plus it's hard to find a decent rec to rec agency- people think recruitment is a cowboy industry, you can imagine what rec to rec is like!

FYI I drive a Skoda Octavia estate. Living the dream.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
FYI I drive a Skoda Octavia estate. Living the dream.

A lot better than they used to be....a sensible choice...doesn`t seem to go with the image you wish to portray though.

You`ve gone up in my opinion but surely down in the opinion of someone like yourself who would surely sneer at Skoda

However I love Skoda jokes..Whats The difference between being inside Katy Price's bra and being caught inside a Skoda?
You feel a bigger tit in a Skoda. Or how do you double the Skodas value ? fill the petrol tank. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
A lot better than they used to be....a sensible choice...doesn`t seem to go with the image you wish to portray though.

You`ve gone up in my opinion but surely down in the opinion of someone like yourself who would surely sneer at Skoda

However I love Skoda jokes..Whats The difference between being inside Katy Price's bra and being caught inside a Skoda?
You feel a bigger tit in a Skoda. Or how do you double the Skodas value ? fill the petrol tank. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

The image I'm trying to portray is of the company, not me. I'm just trying to say that they are at the top of the market, which they are.m, and make it clear that it is bloody hard work, and not for everyone.

If I was doing what I am doing now 10 years ago then I probably would have sneered at a Skoda. But for now you can't really fit two kids in the back of an Aston Martin!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What do you call a Skoda with a sun roof? A skip.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Why does a Skoda have heated a rear windscreen................to keep your hands warm when your pushing it.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
=Commander;]Why? Our model is to provide the very best service, at a premium cost. What's wrong with that? I've worked for other agencies that do it the other way around- cheap cost for a crap service. Personally I'd much rather work for the former. You'd rather dive an Aston Martin than a Vauxhall Astra, wouldn't you?

If the company is paying I'd rather drive the Aston Martin, If I'm paying for it I'll take the Vauxhall (unless the Aston Martin doesn't depreciate in value.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here