Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] João Pedro's Penalties to end 2023

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Bryan Mbuemo takes a great penalty - obvs not had many opportunities, but with Toney out he has six from six. He almost stops in his run-up, waits for the keeper to commit, then rolls it in the other side of the goal. His “gift” is to be able to hit the ball cleanly whilst looking at the keeper. Once perfected it is an almost faultless method. It’s clearly based on Toney’s example, but possibly better.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There is also a possibility that it's just an odd stat and nothing to do with Pedro at all.

The keeper guessing the correct side from just 1 in 8 attempts is impressive, but not impossible.
In reality he is currently on a run of 7 without the keeper guessing correctly.
odds of that are 1/128
Actually the keeper has 3 choices to make, so the odds are actually much smaller (cba to work it out)

Prior to the last FA Cup Draw, Man United had 12 consecutive home draws.
Odds of 1/4096.
Now that's an anomaly!.....

Let's see if he can keep it going for another 8 pens, then we can start claiming technique/witchcraft.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm now starting to feel guilty analysing it so much. I really would prefer it to stay as witchcraft or magic :down:
I'd prefer it if he stopped taking them.
The inevitability takes out all the jeopardy.
Had he been taking the penalty v Man Utd I'd have left and got on the first train.

I want Pascal 'will he won't he' Gross back.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
At the Spurs match the other night we were discussing that João Pedro always seems to send the keeper the other way. As the club published a video today of all of his goals, I decided to do some rudimentary analysis of where he aims and how often the keeper guesses right.

João Pedro has in fact taken 8 penalties for Brighton.

Premier League:
  • Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)

Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Home

Of these, as the picture below shows, only 1 time has the keeper guessed right (12.5%), which was his first for us, against Luton, where the keeper actually got his hand to the shot.

All of the others, in green, the keeper went the wrong way (87.5%).

Where he's taken 2 in the same game, he's not gone the same way for the 2nd.

A lot of his penalties are kept along the ground too. Only the one v Luton and the 2nd v Spurs the other night were lifted at all.

So, does he wait for the keeper to move? He certainly seems to have a knack of sending the keeper the wrong way so far.

View attachment 171956
I've considered the question too, of how he always seems to send keeper wrong way, but on watching him v someone like Ivan Toney, they do seem to differ.

Toney is looking up the whole time, at keeper and not at ball as he strikes.

Pedro seems to be looking (giving eyes) in the stuttered run up but just as he approaches ball, it looks like he then looks down just before kicking it and focuses on ball as he strikes it and as the keeper generally first moves.

Toney I think is watching keeper then puts it other side.

Joào I believe does it with eyes in run up, but has a set side and isn't watching keepers move as he strikes it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Can’t see it…

It’s baffling but has to be the eyes at the start or the run up - whatever it is it works…

View attachment 171964
AEK away.. he then hits that to his right, keepers left.

Maybe his right arm downish and his left arm fully horizontal is some sort of additional learned trick with body position that makes keeper think he's going other way?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
AEK away.. he then hits that to his right, keepers left.

Maybe his right arm downish and his left arm fully horizontal is some sort of additional learned trick with body position that makes keeper think he's going other way?

Maybe some early eyes/psychological stuff, then backed up by a lot of work on body shape at the point of contact is sufficient to send the keeper the wrong way most of the time :shrug:

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
There is also a possibility that it's just an odd stat and nothing to do with Pedro at all.

The keeper guessing the correct side from just 1 in 8 attempts is impressive, but not impossible.
In reality he is currently on a run of 7 without the keeper guessing correctly.
odds of that are 1/128
Actually the keeper has 3 choices to make, so the odds are actually much smaller (cba to work it out)

Prior to the last FA Cup Draw, Man United had 12 consecutive home draws.
Odds of 1/4096.
Now that's an anomaly!.....

Let's see if he can keep it going for another 8 pens, then we can start claiming technique/witchcraft.
Whilst I'm loving the analysis of his technique, and hope he really does have a special skill, you're right that there's still a fair chance that he's just been lucky with the keepers going the wrong way. As you say, time will tell🤞

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Anyone know if he missed any for watford?
I see he only scored 3 in 3 seasons, so assume he wasn't the regular taker.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm now starting to feel guilty analysing it so much. I really would prefer it to stay as witchcraft or magic :down:
You do know what is actual name is, right?

João Pedro Junqueira de Jesus

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Interestingly, penalty conversion is at an all-time high throughout the league. xG for a pen is 0.78 but this season ~90% have been scored.

Just 5 teams have missed one so far, with no team missing more than one

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Interestingly, penalty conversion is at an all-time high throughout the league. xG for a pen is 0.78 but this season ~90% have been scored.

Just 5 teams have missed one so far, with no team missing more than one

I remember reading that although the Xg remains the same for penalties, statistically the conversion rate goes down significantly if the team is level or behind, when the penalty is awarded.

I think the proportion of pens scored when the team is already ahead is over 90%

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone know if he missed any for watford?
I see he only scored 3 in 3 seasons, so assume he wasn't the regular taker.
I saw an interview with him and he said hes only ever missed one, and that was when he was playing in Brazil.

No idea if he ever took one for Watford, but if he did or didnt, he's not missed any yet whilst in England.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In the one example for us where the keeper goes the right way, the keeper doesn't move till he hits it, and in that example he hits it harder and more into the corner. My reckoning is that by not looking at the keeper, the keeper is less likely to fake a move one way then dive the other, he spots the keepers move in his peripheral vision and goes the other way. If the keeper doesnt move, he hits it harder and wider.
If not, he is using magic, so either watchcraft or witchcraft.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe Dr Mitoma (BSc Dribbling) has helped…..using his studies in terms of spotting almost-imperceptible weight transfer of the keeper indicating which way he’s going.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I saw an interview with him and he said hes only ever missed one, and that was when he was playing in Brazil.

No idea if he ever took one for Watford, but if he did or didnt, he's not missed any yet whilst in England.

Three from three for Watford, making him nine from nine in England.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 13.35.23.png

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Three from three for Watford, making him nine from nine in England.

View attachment 172021

11 from 11 if you include Europa League matches.

Unless he scored any cup penalties for Watford too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here