Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] João Pedro's Penalties to end 2023

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
At the Spurs match the other night we were discussing that João Pedro always seems to send the keeper the other way. As the club published a video today of all of his goals, I decided to do some rudimentary analysis of where he aims and how often the keeper guesses right.

João Pedro has in fact taken 8 penalties for Brighton.

Premier League:
  • Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)

Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Away

Of these, as the picture below shows, only 1 time has the keeper guessed right (12.5%), which was his first for us, against Luton, where the keeper actually got his hand to the shot.

All of the others, in green, the keeper went the wrong way (87.5%).

Where he's taken 2 in the same game, he's not gone the same way for the 2nd.

A lot of his penalties are kept along the ground too. Only the one v Luton and the 2nd v Spurs the other night were lifted at all.

So, does he wait for the keeper to move? He certainly seems to have a knack of sending the keeper the wrong way so far.

Pedro Pens.png

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
At the Spurs match the other night we were discussing that João Pedro always seems to send the keeper the other way. As the club published a video today of all of his goals, I decided to do some rudimentary analysis of where he aims and how often the keeper guesses right.

Premier League:
  • Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)

Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Home

Of these, as the picture below shows, only 1 time has the keeper guessed right (12.5%), which was his first for us, against Luton, where the keeper actually got his hand to the shot.

A lot of his penalties are kept along the ground too. Only the one v Luton and the 2nd v Spurs the other night were lifted at all.

So, does he wait for the keeper to move? He certainly seems to have a knack of sending the keeper the wrong way so far.

View attachment 171956
It must be the eyes 👍

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Premier League:
  • Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)

Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Home

View attachment 171956
It’s almost unbelievable. It’s unlikely the keeper would have got to 4 of those if they’d gone the right way ! There’s nothing obvious (to me anyway) in his positioning, run up or eyes that give anything away but he’s def got some kind of secret magic.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
So psyching is all part of the game of penalty taking and saving. The giant of a goalkeeper Frank Swift always stood slightly to one side of middle to tempt the penalty taker into shooting towards the bigger gap, but Frank's height still allowed him to save to further away from his start position. Time wasting is a favourite of course but doesn't seem to faze Joao.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I saw highlights again on Football Focus today. Looking at his second penalty, he twisted his foot at the very last moment to change the direction. He has the confidence to know his kicks are powerful enough to get a goal, no matter what his foot shape is.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's incredible to think he has never missed a penalty in England. At some stage he will, but I think it's only Ivan Toney who has a comparable record (29/31).

I wouldn't bet against either of them...

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's incredible to think he has never missed a penalty in England. At some stage he will, but I think it's only Ivan Toney who has a comparable record (29/31).

I wouldn't bet against either of them...

The Athletic had a good piece on Toney's penalties last year, with a focus on his switch from a "goalkeeper independent" technique (picking a spot and going for it) to "goalkeeper dependent" (waiting for the GK to move). Since the switch, he hasn't missed.

No paywall- Toney's pens

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Athletic had a good piece on Toney's penalties last year, with a focus on his switch from a "goalkeeper independent" technique (picking a spot and going for it) to "goalkeeper dependent" (waiting for the GK to move). Since the switch, he hasn't missed.

No paywall- Toney's pens
Yes, it's an incredible risk and reward technique as the penalty will never be as strong. It takes a great skill to master it as if the goalie does guess correctly there is a higher probability he will save it.

I think there is more to come from Pedro's wider game. But for £30m, in Premier League terms, he has been a very good signing for us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, it's an incredible risk and reward technique as the penalty will never be as strong. It takes a great skill to master it as if the goalie does guess correctly there is a higher probability he will save it.

I'm pretty sure that isn't what Joao Pedro does though, as I'm sure he looks down at the ball as he strikes it. He watches the keeper on the run up, but looks down as he hits it. I now need to see a highlights reel of all hs penalties to confirm what I'm thinking :wink:

Toney (and Hemed) never look at the ball, only the keeper.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm pretty sure that isn't what Joao Pedro does though, as I'm sure he looks down at the ball as he strikes it. He watches the keeper on the run up, but looks down as he hits it. I now need to see a highlights reel of all hs penalties to confirm what I'm thinking :wink:

There's no way the keeper is just guessing the wrong way every time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's no way the keeper is just guessing the wrong way every time.

I agree, which makes me think it's his run up, and the way he hits the ball with some sort of feint at the last second. It works, which is the most important thing :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Yes - I was watching the Spurs ones specifically for this. He definitely looks down at the ball before and as he strikes it. So, if he sees the keeper moving, it's in his peripheral vision - and as the keeper's move will really only be balance / weight shift at that moment, I really don't see how he can choose his spot based on the keeper.

I honestly have no idea how he does it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Premier League:
  • Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)

Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Home
Just how often did we play AEK at home?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Yes - I was watching the Spurs ones specifically for this. He definitely looks down at the ball before and as he strikes it. So, if he sees the keeper moving, it's in his peripheral vision - and as the keeper's move will really only be balance / weight shift at that moment, I really don't see how he can choose his spot based on the keeper.

I honestly have no idea how he does it.
here's my guess, i think he appears to be looking down at the ball, but really, he's looking at the goalie's hips, and then flicks his eyes down just before contact with the ball. dunno, good tho'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here