[Albion] João Pedro's Penalties to end 2023

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With his Watford penalties includes (3), the chart looks like this:
View attachment 172185

The keeper has guessed right 18% of the time over his career in England, with (obvs) 82% guessing wrongly.

The has placed 8/11 (73%) along the ground.
I like the way you have used a different font for his Watford goals. Is it Inconsolata Light?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Whenever he's taken two in one game, the second one seems to be hit more powerfully, off the ground and into the corner, compared to his usual fooling the keeper and placing it the other side.

Not sure what to read into that.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Has this been mentioned? Keepers, so far, don’t even get close to saving his penalties

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
I don't think he does this unless it's a very subtle last minute thing that doesn't get picked up by the cameras. As far as I can tell he looks to his left/the keepers right and then places it in either corner.

The fact that he sends the keeper the wrong way so often must mean he does something to trick him as he doesn't appear to look at the keeper when he's taking it.

We need someone to do a proper forensic breakdown of his technique, body position, movement and eyes.

Please don’t do that. You’ll just give the opposition materiel to break his streak

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
For the second penalty, the keeper positioned himself noticeably to his left on the goal line, (leaving a very inviting gap to his right). That was where he planned to dive. What did Pedro do? He put it to the keeper's left of course.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I think that’s the likely answer. He belts it harder when he doesn’t detect the keeper planting a foot one way or the other, and is technically so good then it doesn’t matter anyway as it’s hard and near the side netting.

Interesting to hear him talk about practicing on MOTD last night……does so every day, think he said he takes 3 and has only missed one in 6 months or similar.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think that’s the likely answer. He belts it harder when he doesn’t detect the keeper planting a foot one way or the other, and is technically so good then it doesn’t matter anyway as it’s hard and near the side netting.

Interesting to hear him talk about practicing on MOTD last night……does so every day, think he said he takes 3 and has only missed one in 6 months or similar.
You have seen our keepers in action 😏

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Definitely not.

Two more penalties with the keeper going the wrong way and both times he was looking at the ball, not the keeper as he struck it again.

1.41 and 3.40 third replay from behind goal, he's looking down, just as he always does

It must be body shape :shrug:

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Right following the weekend's brace - the 'place map' looks like this

Pedro Pens 3.png

Brighton Penalties

Premier League:

• Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)
Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Away
FA Cup:
  • Sheffield United Away (2)
Stats: Of his 13 penalties in total (inc Watford).
  • He's scored 7 to his left (53%) and 6 to his right (47%).
  • The keeper has guessed correctly 2 out of 13, which is 15%. (It's only 10% (1/10) for Albion pens).
  • Where he's taken 2 pens (3 times), the 1st in always to the left and the 2nd to the right.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

View attachment 174168

Brighton Penalties

Premier League:

• Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)
Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Away
FA Cup:
  • The keeper has guessed correctly 2 out of 13, which is 15%. (It's only 10% (1/10) for Albion pens).
  • Where he's taken 2 pens (3 times), the 1st in always to the left and the 2nd to the right.
This is great work.

A pattern appears to be forming though with 7 of his ten 'first' penalties going to his left/the keepers right and the second always going to the right. I wonder if with the three 'first' penalties that he's put to his right/the keepers left the keeper moved early to his(the keepers) right.

It'll also be interesting to see where he puts a second penalty if the first goes to his right.

Then again maybe the keepers moved early to his(the keepers) left making Pedro put the ball to the other side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We accidentally were down the front for Forest and I rather enjoyed the change of perspective, so I did the same for Sheffield.

From this superb view of João, I have a question:-

How the hell does he make penalties look so easy?
Alternatively
How the hell did Pascal make penalties look so hard?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

View attachment 174168

Brighton Penalties

Premier League:

• Luton Home
  • Nottingham Forest Away
  • Spurs Home (2)
Europa League:
  • AEK Athens Home (2)
  • Marseilles Away
  • AEK Athens Away
FA Cup:
This is fascinating - thanks.

It’s interesting that his shots go nowhere near the cross bar. He clearly does not want to risk the ball hitting it or going over. But, it obviously gives the keeper a chance to save if he guesses right (which they never do).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So 11 of 13 penalties the keeper has gone the wrong way, shrinking to 1 in 10 for BHA. I think thats too large a sample size for it to be down to luck or coincidence.

He's doing something. Its probably illegal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here