Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Saville: Disgusting

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I was in the audience. It didn't happen. What happened was Savile was an attention seeking twat being sexist to the makeup girl. A terrible episode to choose to go and see! Merton hated him but non of that dialogue happened.

Yes, it was rumoured to have been written by Victor Lewis-Smith, although no one (including Victor) has ever admitted it.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
But the fact remains that unless there's evidence to back up this knowledge, there's nothing more than a rumour or hearsay. And unless the victims make a complaint, there isn't any evidence. Even if they had complained, they'd have been considered by the authorities, given their age, as being ureliable and prone to making things up, probably because they were 'starstruck'. The fact was that in the '70's, 'Adults knew best', and woe betide anybody who decided to challenge that. If you did, you'd be accused, at best, of being a troublemaker. At worst, the person you were accusing had the power to make your life even worse than it already was.

People like David Cassidy, the Bay City Rollers and Michael Jackson were all subsequently found out to have substance addictions of one form or another, but we never knew anything of that at the time - they were being marketed as being whiter than white (well maybe not MJ but you get the idea), and someone like Jimmy Saville, much like Princess Diana for example, was idolised by the general public for their public good works. The fact that they might have any dirty secrets to hide would have been considered unthinkable at the time. You could have said the same, at that time, about people like Rock Hudson and Leonard Bernstein, the iceskater John Currie, Alan Freeman, or even Justin Fashanu. What the 1970's public wanted was macho heroes like Roger Moore and James Hunt, so anyone who needed the public for their success (like a radio DJ) would not want to court controversy.

The instant there was even a whiff of scandal about a celebrity they new their career would be finished. Witness Pete Townsend a few years back.........

Taken from one of the BBC pieces on it yesterday:

One woman named Fiona, who was 14 at the time, said she was one of several girls from her school who were invited to ride in the presenter's Rolls-Royce.

"I knew the moment he asked me to stay in the car with him, I knew what was expected of me. Because I was having this wonderful day out and I was expected to pay for it. And that's what I did.

"I now know it was wrong and I can still get very angry about it, but nobody believed me then, so I don't expect anybody to believe me now if I'm honest."

Can I just say there is no way I / we are ever sat here thinking he is not involved in any way, in fact as soon as we heard about the alligations we both jumped into the "No smoke without fire camp" my original comment was in now way meant to say we were defending him. I personally never was a great fan at all of JS.

I do just find it very sad that over the next few days / weeks, after tomorrow nights programme is aired, there will be many females popping out of the woodwork holding their "Jim fixed it for me badges" and no one can say if he did or not as there is really no evidence, and I wonder how long before this retired detective writes a book etc???

Is that the pete townsend who played at the olympics closing ceremony ? Disgraceful in my opinion , he is a wrongun, who was on the sex offenders register .

Agreed. I liked Jimmy Carr's comment that people should shout out, "Where's the book Pete?" at him.
PT got off way too lightly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, but the BBC needed the ratings to keep the licence fee. If someone was definitely found to have transgressed, it would not have been a public hanging out to dry
The BBC wouldn't have been closed if they have called the police and told them they were concerned, and followed police advice. Hide evidence and harbour a criminal though, and then they could. They also wouldn't have lost any ratings that matter if one presenter had left.

And we're not just talking about the 70s, if people thought this was true, why didn't they do something in the 90s?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The BBC wouldn't have been closed if they have called the police and told them they were concerned, and followed police advice. Hide evidence and harbour a criminal though, and then they could. They also wouldn't have lost any ratings that matter if one presenter had left.

And we're not just talking about the 70s, if people thought this was true, why didn't they do something in the 90s?

The simple fact is that you cannot prosecute a whole corporation for negligance because of a criminal activity of one individual who is an employee. People have tried and failed to do this, most noticably with Train Companies where people have died due to the mistakes of individual employees. It's the individual who faces the charge, not the corporation. In this case the BBC is NOT acting as a legal guardian, unlike for example if it were a School or a Care Home being investigated. It's merely the location of where the offences took place. It's rumoured that some of the incidents took place in the stars Rolls Royce, do you think the Chauffeur should be prosecuted for failing to report them? Or maybe he was just told ' I pay you enough money to keep your mouth shut, so look the other way if you want to keep your job'.

What is coming to light now, as in many cases from history, such as the Islington Care Homes abuse scandal of the 1970's and '80's, is that persons who had concerns back then did not report them so that they could form the basis of evidence. They may have had their reasons (being manipulated , blackmail or bribery) as to why they didn't voice their concerns, but the fact that they are voicing them now means that they still feel they have a burden that they need to get off their chest. In the case of Islington, the offences, which started to take place in the 1970's, complaints were only filed in the mid 1980's, and even then the Council took 5 years to respond to them, denying all responsibility. As I've said, you cannot prosecute a Corporate body for someones personal misdeeds, and the Council clearly knew they were untouchable. However, it still lead to the leaders resignation when she refused to allow Islington's Social services to investigate the claims.

It's precisely this kind of indifference by those in authority, that enraged someone like Esther Rantzen, AND allowed this kind of thing to go unchecked. And that indifference was symptomatic of this Country's culture in the 1970's, wether we like it or not.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The simple fact is that you cannot prosecute a whole corporation for negligance because of a criminal activity of one individual who is an employee.
I didn't say otherwise.
It's rumoured that some of the incidents took place in the stars Rolls Royce, do you think the Chauffeur should be prosecuted for failing to report them?
Yes, if there was provable evidence that he knew, of course he should be prosecuted.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex Police now saying such an incident was reported to them in 2008, but the victim didn't feel able to take it further. I think he was still alive then?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That YouTube Savile video with Coleen Nolan will be getting plenty of hits after tonight's programme. The way he nudges her tit with his thumb and grabs hold of her is the behaviour of a nonce.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

True, but it's not limited to Savile, is it? History is full of such see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil types: how many people knew about other institionalised abuse of kids but kept quiet?

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
I am shocked at the accusations about Jimmy Saville on ITV1 tonight at 9pm, but not surprised.

I never liked him in Bronski Beat or The Communards, always thought he was a wrong un, and guess what, I was right.

557212.jpg

Pervert.

Haha:lolol:

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
Was this not a Facebook page ??? Jim didn't fix it for me !! Lets f*** him over ?

Just saw the Coleen Nolan video.

Makes him look like a nonce.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here