Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
JFC is yet another young player who has taken an unjustified slagging from the 'football brains' on NSC and Twitter. No wonder we can't get any decent young players to come here. I suppose now that Barnes, David Lopez, Bridcutt, Orlandi, etc have gone and CMS will soon be out of here he'll probably get even more criticism for the heinous crime of not being Lionel Messi. He's shown that he has potential and needs time to settle in to playing week in week out before we see what he can really do. After all he's younger than Texeira who was sent out on loan by Liverpool to get regular game time. Perhaps we should do the same for our own as well as other teams

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I am waiting for JFC to reproduce that splendid performance he had against Southampton on New year Bank Holiday 3 years ago , I think he scored 2 goals that day , he looked a really good prospect that day

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am waiting for JFC to reproduce that splendid performance he had against Southampton on New year Bank Holiday 3 years ago , I think he scored 2 goals that day , he looked a really good prospect that day

He score two goals in a cup game this season. Both penalties, which took guts.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
He was the best player when I went to the open training session earlier this month.
Picking up the loose balls and having excellent and accurate shots into the net with his left foot.
Confirmed my feeling that this club does not know how to get the best out of their players on the pitch.
Needs to play as an attacking midfielder without defencive restrictions.....would shine at a club like Bournemouth.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Turning 21 means he should soon be losing the tag of young footballer struggling to break through. This will be a key time for him. If, as reported, he has beefed up, that will be an important new element to him. We cannot magic pace into him, which is a disappointment, but to survive in this division you need power or speed in your game to keep your head above water and grant yourself a tad of space. His positional intelligence and touch, which needs to transform a little from ballkeeper to gamechanger, could make him a real asset. Development needs to be made though, and i hope it's with us and soon.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
He was the best player when I went to the open training session earlier this month.
Picking up the loose balls and having excellent and accurate shots into the net with his left foot.
Confirmed my feeling that this club does not know how to get the best out of their players on the pitch.
Needs to play as an attacking midfielder without defencive restrictions.....would shine at a club like Bournemouth.

Well perhaps he just can't handle the pressure of 20,000 people watching.If he looks that good in training it is probably why every manager has played him. He certainly does jack shit when it counts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well perhaps he just can't handle the pressure of 20,000 people watching.If he looks that good in training it is probably why every manager has played him. He certainly does jack shit when it counts.

In your opinion, which doesn't count.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

All the players look like they feel the pressure at the Amex, it's a stadium that is hard to live up to. It's a bit like throwing the Christians to the lions at the Coliseum with the crowd baiting for blood.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's time him and March stepped up from being prospects, both been in and around the first team long enough now to have cemented their place in the first XI

Solly March has been injured for nearly all of the season apart from a couple of months in the winter. He was responsible for one of the few highlights of last season; that rather good 2nd goal against Fulham. He's still only 20.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
JFC is a useful player still learning, and having got rid of Kemy and McCourt he's definitely worth keeping. Anyway, central midfield is the least of our worries.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Seems to have bulked up to me. If he can start passing forwards instead of sideways I look forward to seeing him flourish for us next season. If someone makes a half decent bid for him I expect him to go, we NEVER stand in the way of an ambitious player if we can get some money for him.

Agree that he seems to have bulked up but its to his detriment in my opionion. He looks like he is running with lead boots on at the moment. He needs to lose some weight and get back to the type of player he was 3 years ago. When people have a go at him I am sure it is in part because they are frustrated that he seems to have gone backwards in his development.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The most astonishing thing for me is how JFC manages to become invisible when playing for us. That unimaginative, safety-first style of his means that he always seems to be hiding.

Having missed the opening announcements, it was not until the 78th minute that I (and others around me) came to realise he had actually been on the pitch. That was when he was substituted.

This. I think JFC does not really have something about him that you notice. He does not have pace, he does not fly into tackles like Ince or Kayal. I said exactly the same thing in the Watford game, he hid, literally did nothing for most of the game.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
When he played for Gus he looked very good. One game in particular where we beat Southampton and Caskey scoring twice!

Maybe he is not being played right under Hyypia/Hughton

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Without meaning to be rude, that says way more about your reading of a game (and the 'others around you') than it does about him. The midfield three of JFC, Kayal and Stephens were the highlight of the Albion performance on Saturday, and were bossing the league leaders' counterparts, to the extent that their manager had to scrap his game plan and introduce an additional midfielder to outnumber them.

Spot on.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It doesn't come across in the slightest bit arrogant, if you ask me. Not sure what you are reading to be honest.

Just my opinion but I read it in a defensive tone in that he's kind of implying that his U21 commitments have left him tired and that therefore it's no wonder he's not performing at a consistently high enough level for the Albion and that therefore he's not being picked. (Yes he goes on to state that by his own high standards he's also been disappointed.) So perhaps on reflection rather than arrogant it's defensive.

I'd be very disappointed if he was not frustrated at his lack of opportunity in recent months. Would you rather he sat on his arse glad to take the money and not play, like some?

No I would genuinely rather we focussed on playing those who can improve our team. Jake is anonymous for far too many playing minutes for us atm and I would rather we start with Ince, Kayal and Stephens.

"I have no excuses. I have standards and I want to keep those standards and perform every single week.
I know what I can do and I just need to show it."

I don't see how that's arrogant. He says he needs to show it, not that he's shown it and we're too stupid to realise.

See above, perhaps not arrogant more defensive - in that he contradicts himself starting by saying that perhaps he's more tired than others in our squad due to his commitments for the U21s but then saying he has no excuses. And if he doesn't then his current ability and performance levels leave a hell of a lot to be desired.

Not young in footballing terms?

He's only just turned 21. Literally.

Nowhere near his peak.

I don't get how he comes across in any way as arrogant. Just frustrated and IMO that's understandable.

Young in footballing terms would be 16/17 - Will Hughes is of a similar vintage and has played over 120 games for Derby backing up the old adage that if you're good enough you're old enough, which he was at that age.

JFC has promise but is not young in footballing terms to me anyway. Maybe nowhere near his peak, or perhaps he has peaked and he isn't good enough.

how old do you think he is? because clearly you don't know.

Just turned 21, and yes I did know that prior to starting this thread.

Quality player who, as experience of other under-valued players in recent years might tell us, will go on to play at a higher level when he leaves us.

It would be a classic inditement of the English game if a player such as JFC gets anywhere near a higher level IMHO. He's basically another Tom Cleverley but not as good.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Zero pace, and often can be seen watching the game as it passes him by........no real midfield drive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here