Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Jessie Lingard

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
He's United's Jack Wilshere. Had loads of potential, was really liked and played a lot during the sides worst run in generations so looked better than he was.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
9780141331645.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Incredible Scenes

Rumours JLingz in talks with Nice about a loan move there. Surely we can compete with Nice on wages, would be an incredible coup for the club.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We tried to get JLingz into the club as a squad player, hoping he'd regain his past form, but instead we dodged a bullet and he continued to be a stinker for high wages at another club:

XVpREpjh.jpg

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I hope he makes a permanent move to France so we never have to hear about him again.

Rubbish footballer who has dined out on an FA Cup final screamer against Palace and dancing Alan. That's it. He's been overrated all his career.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We don't need any more midfielders / #10s. We need another winger (preferably to replace Jahanbakhsh), a LWB and a CB to replace Burn.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We don't need any more midfielders / #10s. We need another winger (preferably to replace Jahanbakhsh), a LWB and a CB to replace Burn.

JLingz is as much at home on the wing as he is playing as a deep forward/attacking midfielder.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Can't believe the amount of crap chucked Lingard's way on this board. He was very good for us and a big part of the reason Oscar was able to achieve a play-off place. He's had a rough couple of years under Solskjær but still has the opportunity to rebuild. That Teixeira is remembered more fondly stumps me.

Do we need him? Not really. Do we have any chance of getting him? No. Does he deserve the scorn he gets? No.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Can't believe the amount of crap chucked Lingard's way on this board. He was very good for us and a big part of the reason Oscar was able to achieve a play-off place. He's had a rough couple of years under Solskjær but still has the opportunity to rebuild. That Teixeira is remembered more fondly stumps me.

Do we need him? Not really. Do we have any chance of getting him? No. Does he deserve the scorn he gets? No.

At what point will you accept he's every bit as bad as a lot of us think he is? When he has failed to nail down a place in Nice's team? When he hasn't scored or assisted by the end of the season?

When?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
At what point will you accept he's every bit as bad as a lot of us think he is? When he has failed to nail down a place in Nice's team? When he hasn't scored or assisted by the end of the season?

When?

I mean probably never having seen him be good for us, score in two major domestic finals in which he ended up on the winning side, win a European trophy, and having represented his country 24 times including at England's best World Cup performance since 1990 (5 starts in that tournament as well).
In my opinion that makes him a pretty good player who has struggled with form under a manager who doesn't really believe in him.

You clearly have a deeply personal issue with the player and have absolutely outlined the point I made. There is so much hate on this thread for a player who has done pretty well for everyone, including us, but Solskjær. It baffles me.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I mean probably never having seen him be good for us, score in two major domestic finals in which he ended up on the winning side, win a European trophy, and having represented his country 24 times including at England's best World Cup performance since 1990 (5 starts in that tournament as well).
In my opinion that makes him a pretty good player who has struggled with form under a manager who doesn't really believe in him.

You clearly have a deeply personal issue with the player and have absolutely outlined the point I made. There is so much hate on this thread for a player who has done pretty well for everyone, including us, but Solskjær. It baffles me.

Not at all, I have no opinion on the man personally. I'm talking as someone who has taken the time to watch him play and consider whether he's a good player or not. He isn't. He's lucky to have been born in Manchester and picked up by Manchester United, otherwise he wouldn't have had a career based on his absolute lack of talent.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Not at all, I have no opinion on the man personally. I'm talking as someone who has taken the time to watch him play and consider whether he's a good player or not. He isn't. He's lucky to have been born in Manchester and picked up by Manchester United, otherwise he wouldn't have had a career based on his absolute lack of talent.

Well as someone who has also taken the time watch him play and consider whether he's a good player or not, I'll have to disagree with you. I would imagine the scouts at Brighton, Leicester, Birmingham, Derby and Man United, Louis Van Gaal, Jose Mourinho and Gareth Southgate would all disagree as well. But what do they all know about football, right?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Well as someone who has also taken the time watch him play and consider whether he's a good player or not, I'll have to disagree with you. I would imagine the scouts at Brighton, Leicester, Birmingham, Derby and Man United, Louis Van Gaal, Jose Mourinho and Gareth Southgate would all disagree as well. But what do they all know about football, right?

Scouting is one thing. How do we think the scouts who suggested we sign our flops feel? That they were wrong? That the manager didn't effectively use the player? I would argue Leicester were disappointed by him, Derby were disappointed by him, Birmingham were disappointed by him and here he was fine at best. Mourinho used him rarely, having inherited him. Van Gaal also inherited him. Only Southgate from your list chose to play him, bizarrely frequently. But we know Southgate plays his favourites, and even he's dumped Lingard now. He's had chance after chance after chance after chance at Man Utd, he is arguably the main beneficiary of the club's constant managerial turnover. Now that there's a bit of stability, he's on the way out. That is no surprise to anyone other than the dwindling few who wrongly rate him as a player.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Lingard certainly possesses one trait we could use. It has been discussed on here before, but he is a one or two touch player, he very rarely keeps the ball longer than that. When he has been successful it has been down to this ability to suddenly increase the pace within the last third by moving the ball very quickly.

Not sure that Lingard is right for us, but that trait is one we are sadly missing and seems to get worse as confidence diminishes :down:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Scouting is one thing. How do we think the scouts who suggested we sign our flops feel? That they were wrong? That the manager didn't effectively use the player? I would argue Leicester were disappointed by him, Derby were disappointed by him, Birmingham were disappointed by him and here he was fine at best. Mourinho used him rarely, having inherited him. Van Gaal also inherited him. Only Southgate from your list chose to play him, bizarrely frequently. But we know Southgate plays his favourites, and even he's dumped Lingard now. He's had chance after chance after chance after chance at Man Utd, he is arguably the main beneficiary of the club's constant managerial turnover. Now that there's a bit of stability, he's on the way out. That is no surprise to anyone other than the dwindling few who wrongly rate him as a player.

Mate give it up.

Mourinho used him rarely?!?!? He played him in 106 competitive fixtures over 2 and a half years at Man United. He made more appearances than Juan Mata and Henrikh Mkhitaryan in 16/17. Louis Van Gaal gave him his Man United debut and then played him in 40 fixtures the following season. If they'd simply just inherited him why on earth did they play him so much? Same with Southgate, if it was just about favouritism, how on earth did we get past the group stages. He played every minute in the knockout stages!

Genuinely interested as to where your evidence of Leicester, Derby and Birmingham being disappointed in his performances comes from because having a cursory look at his Wikipedia page, there are referenced sources that his loan was extended at Leicester and that Birmingham tried to extend his loan before he came to us. There is also nowhere that seems to suggest that his time at Derby, without setting the world alight, wasn't positive. A cursory search for comments made by Schteve and Eric Steele imply that they were happy with him. After all, he came back to United after that and immediately became a regular part of LVG's plans.

There are plenty of players of undoubted quality who have turned up at United and failed whilst Lingard has remained such as Bastian Schweinsteiger, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Daley Blind, Alexis Sánchez, Memphis Depay. It hasn't worked out under Solskjær but that happens in football. He'll move on and be a good addition for whoever he joins. The idea that he is conning the entire football world in making a living playing the game simply because "He's lucky to have been born in Manchester" is deluded beyond belief. You think someone, somewhere, over the 20 years he has been involved with professional football, would have cottoned on to your train of thought at some point and Lingard, like hundreds of others "born in Manchester and picked up by Manchester United", would have dropped down the pyramid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here