Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Jessie Lingard

scooter1

How soon is now?
The fact that its been reported as a 12 month deal is great for both. He brings in the $$'s and if they stay up he can decide if he wants to stay on. Get relegated and he goes off to the USA at 30 for more $$'s.
He had a great half season for West Ham, but other than that 'I think' he's been bang average. And I include his loan move to us all those moons ago

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
That’s the thing, Lingard isn’t a ‘previously excellent’ player he’s been a very average player for a long time and this move shows exactly why, West Ham career wise and England aspiration wise (shudder the thought) were the right move but he’s gone to Forest for one reason and one reason only, it’s very mercenary like.

Sure, you've made it clear you're not a fan, that's fine. I on the other hand remember him being a very good player, you're not a Man Utd and England regular without being 'excellent'.

It went wrong for him from the time Solskjaer took over at United, when freed from the ManU shambles at West Ham he was excellent again. Whether or not he comes back to form at Forest we shall see, but I'd be pretty pleased if I was a Forest fan

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I suspect the reports are incorrect that Forrest are paying him £200pw they just don’t have the financial ability to do that and it sets a precedent in their club they can’t live up to . He might be on half of that at a push plus
Bonuses if he scores a set amount of goals . Clearly it’s all about money to him otherwise why not go back to a much bigger club in west Han who wanted him and where he was recently successful.

Forest are throwing money at the squad in the hope of staying up and getting another £100m next year. Not including Lindgard (or Henderson) they have already spent north of £65m on players. But apart from both those players none of the signings look like they could be a game changer to keep them in the PL.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sure, you've made it clear you're not a fan, that's fine. I on the other hand remember him being a very good player, you're not a Man Utd and England regular without being 'excellent'.

You've not watched a lot of Man U in the last ten years have you?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You've not watched a lot of Man U in the last ten years have you?

They've been pony for 5 years, not 10. The five years prior to the last five years, they've won the league, FA Cup, EFL Cup, Charity Shield and a European trophy. Even in the last 5 years, they've still come 2nd twice and were FA Cup finalists once.

Nevertheless, I can't say I rate him that highly either.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They've been pony for 5 years, not 10. The five years prior to the last five years, they've won the league, FA Cup, EFL Cup, Charity Shield and a European trophy. Even in the last 5 years, they've still come 2nd twice and were FA Cup finalists once.

Nevertheless, I can't say I rate him that highly either.

Point taken, but even in the end of the Fergie years some very average players were getting a lot of games for them

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He’s not getting any younger can’t see much
wrong if he’s been offered a decent pay day at Forest.

Complete lack of ambition, it’s not like he’d have been a pauper at WHU and would have had a longer contract with a much better club. It will end in tears, hope he has the sense not to piss the money away but I wouldn’t count on it.

Anyway I don’t really give a shit, just delighted he’s not an Albion player

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Would you really want him? Give me Maupay any day. I know he's had personal issues but I've always thought he was a ****, even when we had him on loan.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tra...sedgntp&cvid=96596fd1e0ee40a5bad12bb0740047c3

I have no special reason for liking him, and consider him anonymous when loaned to us, but this is just silly. Why is Lingard a bad bloke? The link you provided is to Glen Johnson (who?) slagging him off based on nothing other than his opinion.

We have no idea why J-Linz hasn't singed for the Iron. None at all. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Point taken, but even in the end of the Fergie years some very average players were getting a lot of games for them

Indeed. Dreadful ignominious end to his managerial career with all those wanka players. Let me just check.....mmmmmm......oh. He won the premier league in his final year as manager. How very queer. ???

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have no special reason for liking him, and consider him anonymous when loaned to us, but this is just silly. Why is Lingard a bad bloke? The link you provided is to Glen Johnson (who?) slagging him off based on nothing other than his opinion.

90% certain it was money but if you think it was for another reason then fair enough :shrug:

Do I have your permission to think he’s a **** and that Johnson is right?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
90% certain it was money but if you think it was for another reason then fair enough :shrug:

Do I have your permission to think he’s a **** and that Johnson is right?

Yes, you have my permission.

I'm touched to think you thought you needed it :eek:

:wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Well yes, but for a young man in the very privileged position that young Lingard finds himself in, money is going to flow pretty freely wherever he goes. So - money a big issue, yes - but the only one?

Maybe he fancies being a big fish in a small pond. Maybe he fancies being a legend at Forest (if he keeps them up - MLS still available if he doesn't). Maybe he just doesn't think London is all that (over-rated and over-entitled) - he wouldn't be alone in that!

But hey - £200,000 per week................... and a very happy agent .......................... has to be taken into account!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What did he do that was so wrong when he played for us wasn’t he like 20? He was enthusiastic showed glimpses and personally thought he did ok.

Probably nothing, I just never liked him :shrug:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I like the way that article refers to Glen Johnson as 'former Liverpool and Chelsea player'. I suppose that this holds a bit more weight than 'Product of West Ham's youth system Glen Johnson thinks that Lingard should have signed for West Ham'. Lingard seems to be one of those players that the media likes to pile onto. I'm wary of this, particularly after the false narrative that they created around Raheem Sterling. Nobody has mentioned that signing for Forest means that he'll be able to get a nice place in the Peak District and be just a short hop to friends and family in Manchester. He's very much a Northern lad and this could be as much of a motivator as money.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Would you really want him? Give me Maupay any day. I know he's had personal issues but I've always thought he was a ****, even when we had him on loan.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tra...sedgntp&cvid=96596fd1e0ee40a5bad12bb0740047c3

Tbh, I think he would have added to our quality up front, problem is he thinks he’s worth 100k a week. Teams around us seem to be getting better, and we are stagnating, we need some spark at least to show ambition otherwise we may start going backwards. Nothing in the ore season has given me encouragement for the coming months.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like the way that article refers to Glen Johnson as 'former Liverpool and Chelsea player'. I suppose that this holds a bit more weight than 'Product of West Ham's youth system Glen Johnson thinks that Lingard should have signed for West Ham'. Lingard seems to be one of those players that the media likes to pile onto. I'm wary of this, particularly after the false narrative that they created around Raheem Sterling. Nobody has mentioned that signing for Forest means that he'll be able to get a nice place in the Peak District and be just a short hop to friends and family in Manchester. He's very much a Northern lad and this could be as much of a motivator as money.

Quite.

And anyone who hasn't hooked up with a dodgy bird in their priestly past, please form an orderly queue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here