Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jesse Lingard SIGNS on LOAN

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really must be missing something - can someone please explain why everyone is wetting themselves over this signing?

Similar career history to Obika by the looks of it.

The only thing you are missing is Gus :smile: I didn't notice Obika being top scorer pre-season at Spurs, or scoring 4 goals in a Championship game either and I haven't heard Spurs fans suggesting he was worth a place in the first team. Apart from his age I can't see many similarities in their careers so far. You really are a miserable sod, the least you could do is give him 10 mins on the pitch before gripping about him :wink:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I really must be missing something - can someone please explain why everyone is wetting themselves over this signing?

Similar career history to Obika by the looks of it.

Yes, you probably are.

Fulham were willing to pay £5 million for him last month. He scored 4 goals on his first competitive career start earlier this season - in the Championship. He was Man Utd's leading scorer on their pre-season tour last summer.

According to a number of posters on this thread, there are numerous United fans who would rather he was in their matchday squad, than being on loan down here.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed - but I, for one, am bloody excited by his signing.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As well as a pretty good loan singing, the way the club have kept this completely quite until today, has really impressed me a lot

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Think he is going to be a quality signing, does this mean we are going to release one of the other 2 Obika/Rodriguez

Spanish Rodney has been signed on a short term contract until the end of the season , Tracey O'Bika is only here on a 93 day loan. I think O'Bika is only hanging on in there because CMS is out for a few more weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At least someone has explained their excitement, thanks. I've scoured the Man Utd forums and nobody seems to have even mentioned it, but maybe they have bigger problems to discuss right now.

Less than 2 mins 'scouring' redcafe (did you look at the 'Jesse Lingard' thread ???) included the following various snippets :

Can Lingard really be worse than Young or Valencia are right now? If Moyes is going to continue ignoring Hernandez, instead of playing him with Welbeck while Van Persie and Rooney are out, then Lingard should be given a go. If he doesn't perform it won't make much difference given how terribly those being selected ahead of him are playing.

I'd certainly like him to join the team for the second half of the season - there's so much to like about him and his positive play which could counter the present woes of the team. I don't think there's much competition to stop him getting sufficient games with us in that time to justify him not going on loan again.

I'd give him a chance, don't see how he could be much worse than some of our current lot... Having said that, if Zaha can't get a look in, what chance does Lingard have?

Lingard impressed more on tour (though zaha was also impressive) but lingard was more consistent and doesn't rely on tricks.

Tricks are good, but if you rely on them and can't pull them off, then you're going to have a poor game. Lingard already has a strong mentality and is definitely worthy of an opportunity.

Especially with Nani and Young out, the chance is there for him to grab, I could see him and Januzaj finishing the season as our wingers.

After how well Lingard played in pre-season I think he deserves a crack of the whip. From day one at Birmingham City Lingard showed he was simply a cut above the Championship and he's got the same youthful fearlessness that Januzaj has. Not saying he's as good as Adnan, simply that if we're going to keep playing Valencia wide right when he's obviously lacking in confidence and won't even take on his full back we may as well play someone like Lingard who'd bring youthful enthusiasm to the right flank.

Granted, there are also posts that say he maybe isn't ready yet, but these 4/5 separate quotes were from the two most recent pages of the 19 page Jesse thread......

Incidentally there are also posts indicating they are pleased he has gone to a 'footballing' side and not back to Brum who are 'awful' and don't suit his intelligent, passing game. I'm still happy :albion2:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Spanish Rodney has been signed on a short term contract until the end of the season , Tracey O'Bika is only here on a 93 day loan. I think O'Bika is only hanging on in there because CMS is out for a few more weeks.

Yeah but Hoskins is now further ahead than Cms and would surely be ahead of both when fit

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh, and read this too............

x42bn6 said: ↑
Transfermarkt says his contract ends this summer... Does anyone know if we tied him down to a longer one?

We haven't, as things stand, he will be out of contract come June, in fact, can't he already discuss talks with other clubs? a bit like Vidic could if he so wished..

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yeah but Hoskins is now further ahead than Cms and would surely be ahead of both when fit

O'Bika only becomes surplus to requirements once Hosky and/or CMS are fully available. You sometimes need the "last kid to be picked" to make up the numbers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Transfermarkt says his contract ends this summer... Does anyone know if we tied him down to a longer one?

We haven't, as things stand, he will be out of contract come June, in fact, can't he already discuss talks with other clubs? a bit like Vidic could if he so wished..

March , Goodwin , Richards and Dickenson were all given contract extensions (Solly in January 2013 and the others in May 2013)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The only thing you are missing is Gus :smile: I didn't notice Obika being top scorer pre-season at Spurs, or scoring 4 goals in a Championship game either and I haven't heard Spurs fans suggesting he was worth a place in the first team. Apart from his age I can't see many similarities in their careers so far. You really are a miserable sod, the least you could do is give him 10 mins on the pitch before gripping about him :wink:

Well said Icy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Agreed, meaning ? Was just pointing out that JL is potentially out of contract, that's all.

Players who show potential get contract extensions when you think they'll end up being released unless they get too big headed.

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham

This isn't actually true, as far as i'm aware, the pre-contract rule only applies to players aged 23 and over.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

its possible you could add brain cell to that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here