Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Corbyn's conference speech

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brilliant. Corbyn took great swathes of his speech, word for word, from a blog post written by Richard Heller 4 years ago and previously offered to Miliband (who rejected using it).

Example...

Corbyn today:

Since the dawn of history in virtually every human society there are some people who are given a great deal and many more people who are given little or nothing. Some people have property and power, class and capital, status and clout which are denied to the many.

And time and time again, the people who receive a great deal tell the many to be grateful to be given anything at all. They say that the world cannot be changed and the many must accept the terms on which they are allowed to live in it.

Heller's blog:

Since the dawn of history, in virtually every human society there are some people who are given a great deal and many more people who are given little or nothing. Some people have property and power, class and capital, status and even sanctity, which are denied to the multitude.

And time and time again, the people who receive a great deal tell the multitude to be grateful to be given anything at all. They say that the world cannot be changed and the multitude must accept the terms on which they are allowed to live in it.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffee...ch-today-was-written-for-ed-miliband-in-2011/
:lolol:

I suspect Putin's lapdog has been setup.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Brilliant. Corbyn took great swathes of his speech, word for word, from a blog post written by Richard Heller 4 years ago and previously offered to Miliband (who rejected using it).

Example...

Corbyn today:

Since the dawn of history in virtually every human society there are some people who are given a great deal and many more people who are given little or nothing. Some people have property and power, class and capital, status and clout which are denied to the many.

And time and time again, the people who receive a great deal tell the many to be grateful to be given anything at all. They say that the world cannot be changed and the many must accept the terms on which they are allowed to live in it.

Heller's blog:

Since the dawn of history, in virtually every human society there are some people who are given a great deal and many more people who are given little or nothing. Some people have property and power, class and capital, status and even sanctity, which are denied to the multitude.

And time and time again, the people who receive a great deal tell the multitude to be grateful to be given anything at all. They say that the world cannot be changed and the multitude must accept the terms on which they are allowed to live in it.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffee...ch-today-was-written-for-ed-miliband-in-2011/

Corbyn is an intellectual midget, everything he does is borrowed from others, to try and appeal to the politics by envy brigade. So less intelligent than Michael Foot, and even less electable.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Loving this stuff about his speechwriting process.

People just don't get it, do they?!

All the party conference window dressing, and then squabbling in the media about how well the soundbites have been presented, is the old and defunct politics. It is tomorrow's chip paper.

The next election will be won on the economy and the pounds in (or not in) people's pockets. Jobs, wages, housing, benefits, student fees, utility costs, etc

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Example...

Corbyn today:

Heller's blog:

So what?

ALL politicians speeches are written by a team of speechwriters. Do you really think that they sit up all night writing them themselves? What Heller wrote is what JC believes in, so why shouldn't he use those words?

Desperate Tory propaganda tactics, and we will see these again and again.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Be interesting to see if Corbyn is attending the Gala dinner tonight costing a fortune or maybe he will just retreat to his equally expensive suite in the Hilton? It's a joke :lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Be interesting to see if Corbyn is attending the Gala dinner tonight costing a fortune or maybe he will just retreat to his equally expensive suite in the Hilton? It's a joke :lolol:

"HOUSE...!!!!"

My Desperate Tories Bingo card is complete.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So what?

ALL politicians speeches are written by a team of speechwriters. Do you really think that they sit up all night writing them themselves? What Heller wrote is what JC believes in, so why shouldn't he use those words?

I think the point is that if you are going to use other people's words then you should acknowledge that. There are few German politicians under the cosh for plagiarism at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34376563

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yeah, hysterical.

How dare a Labour leader think that anything that costs money, and might be fun, potentially, is something that he should attend?

Why isn't he wearing sackcloth and smothering himself in ashes?

Ridiculous argument. Just because you want to work for a better and more just society, this should not preclude you from occasionally living it up.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think the point is that if you are going to use other people's words then you should acknowledge that. There are few German politicians under the cosh for plagiarism at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34376563

So is this what politicians do, normally. Do they make their speeches, and then list all those who contributed towards them? A bit like the Acknowledgements page in books.

I can't remember seeing that happen before.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Yeah, hysterical.

How dare a Labour leader think that anything that costs money, and might be fun, potentially, is something that he should attend?

Why isn't he wearing sackcloth and smothering himself in ashes?

Ridiculous argument. Just because you want to work for a better and more just society, this should not preclude you from occasionally living it up.

Yep your right at £1250 a head :clap:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So is this what politicians do, normally. Do they make their speeches, and then list all those who contributed towards them? A bit like the Acknowledgements page in books.

I can't remember seeing that happen before.
A full academic referencing system is usually employed I believe. Especially to acknowledge short passages of speeches offered to former holders of your position that were not even used ...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what?

Can you really not see the difference between someone with a/some speechwriter(s) who help craft a custom speech for the time/occasion, and a wholesale copy&paste from something someone wrote, not for you, some time ago?

Really? They are the same in your eyes?

And you think the right wing are desperate in a 'running scared of Corbyn' kinda way? I'm tempted to dig back through your analysis ahead of the last election - I suspect you'll have made similar claims leading up to the election.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can you really not see the difference between someone with a/some speechwriter(s) who help craft a custom speech for the time/occasion, and a wholesale copy&paste from something someone wrote, not for you, some time ago?

And you think the right wing are desperate in a 'running scared of Corbyn' kinda way? I'm tempted to dig back through your analysis ahead of the last election - I suspect you'll have made similar claims leading up to the election.
The thing is, is that many of us shaking our heads in disbelief at Corbyn are Labour supporters. Was there ever a more notable case of the loonatics taking over the asylum.

:shrug:

:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Not the same at all.

The latter is an admirable rejection of bankrupt political systems and practices where spin doctors are all powerful - expensively paid to rehash soundbites when there is perfectly usable material already available without their overblown inputs.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Unused passage from Corbyn's speech has just been released. How does he think of this stuff?

"I sit and wait. Does an angel contemplate my fate? And do they know the places where we go when we're grey and old? 'Cos I have been told that salvation lets their wings unfold. So when I'm lying in my bed - thoughts running through my head - and I feel that love is dead, Conference - I'm loving angels instead."

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Dig away.

Heller offered this speech to EVERY Labour leader from Kinnock onwards, and is delighted that Corbyn used extracts from it. He offered it to Corbyn, and its use was NOT unauthorised.

Don't believe me? Well, read what Heller says himself.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/29/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leader-conference-speech

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Corbyn is making a hell of a lot of column inches. Also a fair few pages on NSC.
Regardless of how negative the press is and how old hat the speeches and policies are considered to be, it is his policies which are being discussed and not the Tories.

Your lot will need to change tactics soon. Just call me Dave isn't going to be there in 2020. Whoever takes over will be playing catch up in the public awareness stakes.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dig away.

Heller offered this speech to EVERY Labour leader from Kinnock onwards, and is delighted that Corbyn used extracts from it. He offered it to Corbyn, and its use was NOT unauthorised.

Don't believe me? Well, read what Heller says himself.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/29/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leader-conference-speech
Oh...

Hahaha

Absolutely lovely.

Tory critics reaction to his speech attacks not the ideas but the presentation and they can't even get their facts right. What an unprofessional shower...!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here