Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Jeopardy

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I use the programme as an alarm for me to attend to a less mind numbing task and go and see how much my garden compost has decomposed since the last episode.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Not sure why people have such a downer on this show. I’m a big Fry fan and think he’s doing a perfectly good job with a good, rather highbrow format. So there. 😀

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It is dull but I still find it quite watchable.

You don't always need bells, whistles, strap-ons and razzmatazz.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
So I haven't seen the UK version, or managed to find a full episode on YouTube, but judging just from this bit of final Jeopardy I found here, along with a couple of other short clips:

The problem is that Stephen is slow as f***. You don't need to comment on absolutely everything that's happening. You don't need to explain how the wager works again. It's really not that complicated. And you don't need to congratulate or apologize to every contestant. Just get on with it. Trust the viewers to understand what somebody's wager means.

And I love Stephen Fry, he is a very funny man, but gameshow host is not his thing. And no, QI isn't really a gameshow. It's a panel show with the questions just existing to give the guest something to riff on. Stephen seems to be still operating in that mode here. He wants to riff on the questions and answers.

And an hour is far too long. Half an hour is the perfect size for a daily bit size dose of trivia.

From the Slate article I posted yesterday:

Answering trivia in the form of a question is bizarre, so good luck explaining that premise to anyone who hasn’t been watching Jeopardy! since they were a preteen.
As somebody who moved to the states in my early twenties, I reject the idea that "answer in the form of a question", odd as it is, is in anyway hard to grasp. I took to Jeopardy very quickly. It literally takes maybe one round, maybe half a round, to get the gist of it.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Hilarious end to todays show. :laugh:

Still not really engaged.
Bloke mis-calculated his final total and lost! You need to watch to understand.
Meanwhile we can now work out who, on NSC, is either unemployed, a student, retired or pretends to WFH but watches TV instead.
Me? Could watch Fry in QI all day but sadly this scripted Fry wouldn't last 5 minutes if it was his first show on tele.
Although, Uranus joke today, bit risky for day time TV.

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018
As somebody who moved to the states in my early twenties, I reject the idea that "answer in the form of a question", odd as it is, is in anyway hard to grasp. I took to Jeopardy very quickly. It literally takes maybe one round, maybe half a round, to get the gist of it.
I certainly don't have trouble grasping the "answer as a question" idea, but I think it adds absolutely nothing to the format and might be mistaken for the show's main focus.
The other thing that doesn't really work is choosing the questions from the board. Every question will be asked at some point and anyone can buzz in to answer each time, so what's the point of the contestant choosing the next one (apart from the lottery of getting the 'daily double')?
TBH, though, I quite enjoy it - mainly as I can keep it on silent on one monitor whilst I work, just glancing the questions as they come up.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The other thing that doesn't really work is choosing the questions from the board. Every question will be asked at some point and anyone can buzz in to answer each time, so what's the point of the contestant choosing the next one (apart from the lottery of getting the 'daily double')?
Exactly that. The lottery of getting the "daily double". Also the possibility of picking categories you feel you are strong in so that a) you keep control of the board (important for finding the daily double) and b) you can build up enough of a lead that you can potentially make a large wager for the daily double and probably c) the psychologic advantage of building up a lead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here