Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Jeopardy

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Let it run, it’s a good show if they allow the money to build up like on the American one

Jul 7, 2003
Much as I love Stephen Fry, he is the wrong choice for this. It needs someone with energy but this was slow and boring.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I liked it. The American one is good too.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Having never watched the American version, what does the winner of each show get? The amount of money they finished the show with?
Yep and the most taken home is about $2 million I think

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
They're trying a UK version of Jeopardy again?

All I saw from Googling was a quick a trailer. And yeah, it looked like Stephen Fry was putting far too much banter on every answer. That'll slow the game down plenty. The legendary Alex Trebek would only occasionally interject.

It (the US version) is actually a really decent show and the most high-brow of game shows in the TV landscape (celebrity Jeopardy excluded).

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Correct, and they get to defend their title next show
It used to be the case that they could only defend for 5 days and then had to retire. But they changed that so you can defend essentially forever.

Ken Jennings (now the current host) won 74 games in a row and took about $2.5 million in winnings. But if you include tournaments (they sometimes have a tournament of champions where they bring back previous big winners) he totaled something like $4.3 million. Which is not the biggest money winner. That's a guy named Brad Rutter who won a total of almost $5 million.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Watched it for the first time.
Won't bother again.
Stephen Fry is brilliant usually but was very dull.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It used to be the case that they could only defend for 5 days and then had to retire. But they changed that so you can defend essentially forever.

Ken Jennings (now the current host) won 74 games in a row and took about $2.5 million in winnings. But if you include tournaments (they sometimes have a tournament of champions where they bring back previous big winners) he totaled something like $4.3 million. Which is not the biggest money winner. That's a guy named Brad Rutter who won a total of almost $5 million.

Does the woman from Big Bang Theory (I can’t remember her name) still present it as well?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Does the woman from Big Bang Theory (I can’t remember her name) still present it as well?
They just recently canned her. Not entirely sure why. I wasn't really following the story.

I had heard somebody say that it might have been a result of her support for the recent Hollywood writers strike (I guess quiz question writers are covered by the same union? I dunno) and that pissed off the higher ups. But that might be entirely untrue.

For what it's worth, the official word from Sony was that they let her go to "Maintain continuity for our viewers"

But it might be more to do with this:

And, of course, some people will claim it's antisemitism.

Last edited:

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I genuinely love it. Huge jeopardy fan, have been for years, I actually applied to go on this but obvs didn't get on. This is the one quiz where I think I'd do very well! Didn't like how they let people off of using the incorrect responses though. They surely should have been briefed during the interview process, and should have watched the North American version.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here