Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Jehovah's Witness

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Nice people unless you want to leave. They split up families.

Too true.
My Mother-in-Law is a JW as was my Father -in-Law before he passed away.
My wife had to leave the family home because she refused to become a JW and she didn't have a relationship with her parents for quite some time afterwards. Eventually, they sort of reconciled, but it was never easy because of the religion and it still isn't.. Wife's younger sister was recruited to the JW's at a young age, but she rebelled, which took a lot of courage. Again, she had to leave home at a very young age and went to live with my wife in her rented house.
Trauma all round and certainly the splitting of the family was a direct consequence of the JW's.
I could go on with other tales, but you get my drift!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Too true.
My wife had to leave the family home because she refused to become a JW and she didn't have a relationship with her parents for quite some time afterwards. Eventually, they sort of reconciled, but it was never easy because of the religion and it still isn't.. Wife's younger sister was recruited to the JW's at a young age, but she rebelled, which took a lot of courage. Again, she had to leave home at a very young age and went to live with my wife in her rented house.
Trauma all round and certainly the splitting of the family was a direct consequence of the JW's.

It's tragic and the mark of a cult.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I once employed a young girl in her early 20s on 3 days per week with a fourth day at college and agreed for her to have Fridays off, as she said she had an activity that day.

I also increased her salary by 1/3rd as I thought her previous employer was taking the piss.

One week in to her new job with me she asked whether she could lose one of her three days in the office as she wanted to spend two days on her "activity". Apparently, because of my generosity she could earn the same in 2 days as she used to in 3 days!

Getting rather annoyed I pressed her on what this "activity" was - she eventually told me she was a devout Jehovah's Witness.

Imagine the surprise of the recruitment consultant when I told them I'd terminated her employment with immediate effect and demanded a full repayment of the recruitment fee. The cheeky buggers tried to roll that over and offered to find me her replacement free of charge.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
From what I've read on here I won't be joining.
But Iv'e had a quick look at what they are all about and I don't disagree with a lot of what they are saying with regards to Jesus,God,Satan,Christmas and Easter and the final battle and judgement day.
It all ties in with some other subjects I am interested in but I don't like the idea of signing up to one particular religion but I do find them all interesting.
I think if one knocks on my door I may have a natter about the subject but I still won't be joining.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's tragic and the mark of a cult.

Yes, it is.
Mother-in-Law is now 90 and pretty harmless now and we visit her every fortnight in her retirement flat. For my wife and sister, it is rather done out of a sense of humanitarian duty rather than any real affection.
Sad but true.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Its a shame this thread wasn't posted a week ago.

Last week we received a letter addressed to "Dear neighbour", but from the postie with stamps.

Realising it wasnt a circular and hand written I opened it thinking an anonymous neighbour having a passive aggressive rant about the bin I left out for the binmen that they refused to take a week ago and its still there.

It was a hand written 2 page letter from a neighbouring JW giving their views on the world and would I consider... blah blah blah etc etc etc.

They even left their phone number and their new leaflet in the envelope.

I threw it in the recycling. I wish now I'd taken a photo of it.

There is one in my very local vicinity but I have no idea who it is...... all I know its that it looked like a woman's hand writing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Too true.

There was a good film out about it last year, set up North somewhere - Very troubling but good film none the less

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Too true.

They would claim to be Christian, but precisely because of this sort of thing, they're not, in my mind.i

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Maybe there's a "one in, one out" deal on the door. Or maybe hope that someone turns up in trainers and gets turned away.

Hope they have put in a traffic light system at the door to ensure limits.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2018
I had a knock on the door last year and without any introduction was asked “Have you heard”?

My response was “yes, very unfortunate business” and shut the door.

They remained on the drive looking bemused for a good 5 minutes then left.

I never found out who there were or what they wanted

Could have been the Environment Agency or Broadband for all I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We had one of those letters through the door the other day. Whilst it went straight in the bin, I read enough to see that all the spellings were American versions. I guess they’ve all copied it off the internet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Give them a very wide berth is my advice . Any religion that actively goes around trying to recruit converts is one to avoid . If it was any good it wouldn’t need to try to get more followers .

I don't normally read your posts but was intrigued and took a peak......

Any religion? You do realise that Jesus was the fisher of men, and that it is the duty of Christians (according to many Christians) to recruit devotees? ??? :shrug:

Anyway, as you were.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From what I've read on here I won't be joining.
But Iv'e had a quick look at what they are all about and I don't disagree with a lot of what they are saying with regards to Jesus,God,Satan,Christmas and Easter and the final battle and judgement day.
It all ties in with some other subjects I am interested in but I don't like the idea of signing up to one particular religion but I do find them all interesting.
I think if one knocks on my door I may have a natter about the subject but I still won't be joining.

Give me strength :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Too true.

There was a poor little sod in my year* at school who was traipsed round the streets of Portslade with his parents, attempting to buy our souls, dressed in his little suit, while we played subbuteo and planned a trip to the park or a thrash on our bikes.

I am told they think there is room only for a finite number of them in Heaven, and the way to guarantee a seat at god's table is to recruit new members. That's a bit like ****ing for virginity, isn't it?

Nothing like a good hard test of faith, is there? ??? :mad:

[MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION], you know who I mean. I bet he's not on Neil's old boy spreadsheet*, is he? :lolol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There was a poor little sod in my year* at school who was traipsed round the streets of Portslade with his parents, attempting to buy our souls, dressed in his little suit, while we played subbuteo and planned a trip to the park or a thrash on our bikes.

I am told they think there is room only for a finite number of them in Heaven, and the way to guarantee a seat at god's table is to recruit new members. That's a bit like ****ing for virginity, isn't it?

Nothing like a good hard test of faith, is there? ??? :mad:

[MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION], you know who I mean. I bet he's not on Neil's old boy spreadsheet*, is he? :lolol:

Blimey. If there is only a finite number for them in heaven, why the hell are they trying to recruit more, instead of having this chain letter set up?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Blimey. If there is only a finite number for them in heaven, why the hell are they trying to recruit more, instead of having this chain letter set up?

Mrs Not Andy Naylor is a bit of an expert in various religious beliefs and when the Jehovahs come round I just pass them on to her, which is rather cruel, but it keeps them occupied when they could be bothering other people (rather like my methods of dealing with cold callers). She knows far more about their religion than most of their representatives do and she ties them in knots. Sometimes they send reinforcements. But one of the flaws in their logic is that by their own terms, Heaven is already full.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Luckily, I haven't been bothered by them for years. Last time this nutjob tried to force the leaflet 'the watchtower' into my hands I politely told them my wife had informed me I mustn't swear at them....so they should **** off before we both got into trouble???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Because, as I wrote, the way to get into Heaven is to recruit new converts. The ultimate Ponzi scheme.

I just looked them up and they, of course, will let their kids die rather than let them have a necessary blood transfusion (in the UK child protection steps in if this happens). They also condone child sex abuse by requiring there be an independent witness for any action to be necessary (righty ho, mates).

So, actually evil. Who knew? ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here