Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jayson Molumby

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Less than half what we could have got for him from Millwall two years ago (allegedly)? Poor business if so. Baggies fans won't be too pleased either, judging by their fans' forum.

Edit: I agree that I can't see a buy-back clause being included, but at that cut price fee it would be disappointing if we didn't have a sell-on clause in there.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Less than half what we could have got for him from Millwall two years ago (allegedly)? Poor business if so. Baggies fans won't be too pleased either, judging by their fans' forum.

Edit: I agree that I can't see a buy-back clause being included, but at that cut price fee it would be disappointing if we didn't have a sell-on clause in there.

It’s very difficult to know how a player will develop. I guess BHA took a punt on retaining him two years ago and it hasn’t worked out. It happens.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yeah that happens sometimes. His poor last season probably ripped a million off his price and the pandemic another million.

£900k is decent considering the circumstances and I think most likely Brighton will get more money if WBA go up.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Joining West Brom on a permanent deal, for only £900k - presume that will include a lot of clauses and a potential buy-back clause with the original fee being so cheap.

Sounds about the right sort of fee for a player that’s never realistically been close to our senior side. Probably coming to last year of contract as well.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Joining West Brom on a permanent deal, for only £900k - presume that will include a lot of clauses and a potential buy-back clause with the original fee being so cheap.

If he turns out to be half as good as the last RoI international who we sold for £900k, I hope that we have a big sell on percentage.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good business for the Baggies, a load of Championship experience, some international experience and still young.

I'd have thought we'd be looking for at least £2 mill for him, but maybe the club are mindful the Baggies are a good loan partner ( Matt Clarke) and they want to keep them sweet.

Not quite kicked on these past couple of seasons hence the buyers market price and looks like an Irish Dale Stephens, good enough for a Champ/bottom 5 PL relegation battlers but not for a team with mid table pretensions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good business for the Baggies, a load of Championship experience, some international experience and still young.

I'd have thought we'd be looking for at least £2 mill for him, but maybe the club are mindful the Baggies are a good loan partner ( Matt Clarke) and they want to keep them sweet.
I think it's us doing the Baggies a favour by loaning them Matt Clarke for a season rather than them doing us a favour!

Agree with you about Molumby - I'd have expected a couple of £M for him too - we undersold Gyokeres to a Championship club last year - looks like we're doing it again.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not quite kicked on these past couple of seasons hence the buyers market price and looks like an Irish Dale Stephens, good enough for a Champ/bottom 5 PL relegation battlers but not for a team with mid table pretensions.

We should have kept him then.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think it's us doing the Baggies a favour by loaning them Matt Clarke for a season rather than them doing us a favour!

Agree with you about Molumby - I'd have expected a couple of £M for him too - we undersold Gyokeres to a Championship club last year - looks like we're doing it again.

I think it is a case of you not understanding the market tbh.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it is a case of you not understanding the market tbh.
We have sold ourselves short - we lost money by not selling him to Millwall. Even the WBA fans who think he's just a shit version of Reach or a slightly faster version of Livermore reckon the only good thing about the transfer is that they got him cheap.

They did.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We have sold ourselves short - we lost money by not selling him to Millwall. Even the WBA fans who think he's just a shit version of Reach or a slightly faster version of Livermore reckon the only good thing about the transfer is that they got him cheap.

They did.

When he was at Millwall it seemed he would be worth at least double that in a year or two. Then it would have been a shit deal to sell him (if he even had any intention of staying in Millwall). It was the right decision at the time and no one in the club can be expected to predict Covid to decrease Championship spenditure from £164m in the summer 19/20 window to £40m in the summer 21/22 window, or that Molumby would have a shite loan spell in Preston.

I dont understand how you year out year in fail to understand that clubs wont make any profit on most players they lose over a season. Like when you got upset about Max Sanders leaving for a nominal fee and questioned the clubs model based on that... it is completely unrealistic to believe that the club will get above market value for a majority of players and it is completely unrealistic to believe that every player will either be sold with a profit or it is a "failure/mistake".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When he was at Millwall it seemed he would be worth at least double that in a year or two. Then it would have been a shit deal to sell him (if he even had any intention of staying in Millwall). It was the right decision at the time and no one in the club can be expected to predict Covid to decrease Championship spenditure from £164m in the summer 19/20 window to £40m in the summer 21/22 window, or that Molumby would have a shite loan spell in Preston.

I dont understand how you year out year in fail to understand that clubs wont make any profit on most players they lose over a season. Like when you got upset about Max Sanders leaving for a nominal fee and questioned the clubs model based on that... it is completely unrealistic to believe that the club will get above market value for a majority of players and it is completely unrealistic to believe that every player will either be sold with a profit or it is a "failure/mistake".
Bloom's model is to sell at a profit. Not often a big one like White, or a lucky one like Knockaert, but a small profit, yes - and preferably not a miniscule one either. The key word is sustainability. I don't know how you can't understand this.
Selling players who we've had in our youth teams and/or out on loan for much less than we're now paying for incoming players to go out on loan/play in our youth teams is going to make sustainability look as realistic as Swedish World Cup winning hopes.

When he was at Millwall it seemed he would be worth at least double that in a year or two. Then it would have been a shit deal to sell him (if he even had any intention of staying in Millwall). It was the right decision at the time......
Well, it patently wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here