Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Great but how about these stats:

Brighton shots on target - 5
Everton shots on target - 5

Brighton xG - 3.24
Everton xG - 2.94

The two keepers were literally the difference between being on either end of a 5-1 stuffing.

Our entire recruitment philosophy is based on stats that show things that aren't obvious to the naked eye. Numbers are very hard to argue with.

You have misunderstood how expected goals are calculated. They are based on how likely a goal is to be scored at the point when a shot is attempted, but they take no account of how good the actual shot is. So if you get in good positions, but your players were taught to shoot by Potter, you'll score less than the xG even if the other team forgot to select a keeper. And on the other scale, if the strikers had their boots blessed by god and dipped in the virgin Mary (as was the case with Everton today) it doesn't matter if you have a great keeper, he ain't saving them all.

So no, the xG does not prove that the keepers were the difference.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You have misunderstood how expected goals are calculated. They are based on how like a goal is to be scored at the point when a shot is attempted, but they take no account of how good the actual shot is. So if you get in good positions, but your players were taught to shoot by Potter, you'll score less than the xG even if the other team forgot to select a keeper. And on the other scale, if the strikers had their boots blessed by god and dipped in the virgin Mary (as was the case with Everton today) it doesn't matter if you have a great keeper, he ain't saving them all.

So no, the xG does not prove that the keepers were the difference.
I know exactly how xG is calculated and that the abilities of both the striker and the keeper are factored in. However, unlike the striker, the keeper is a common factor throughout the game, so if he's conceding well above his xGa then it's not a good sign.

Inversely, if a keeper only concedes 1 with an xGa of over 3, then he's had a great game. And Pickford did.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
So RDZ doesn’t worry about his keeper letting in 5 goals at home as long as he can pass a ball. What a ridiculous comment! Sanchez is decent with his feet and light years in front of Steele as a shop stopper!

I am sure he will be concerned. But for his style of play, we need a keeper that can play with his feet, not a keeper that can't.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I know exactly how xG is calculated and that there are abilities of both the striker and the keeper two factors to account for. However, the keeper is a common factor throughout the game, so if he's conceding well above his xGa then it's not a good sign.

Inversely, if a keeper only concedes 1 with an xGa of over 3, then he's had a great game. And Pickford did.

Or the opposition team's finishing was poor.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Anyone arguing that Sanchez would concede the same goals as Steele is utterly mad. Sanchez is 6ft 7 and one of the best shot stoppers in the world.
Unfortunately for him RDZ doesn't rate him with his feet, so we have Steele. Steele offers more with the ball but is simply nowhere near the level of Bob as a shot stopper.
The reality is that because of RDZs demands in terms of a GKs footballing ability OVERALL, GK is one of our weakest positions. Steele has done great, and his story is great, but he hasn't become Ederson overnight.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone arguing that Sanchez would concede the same goals as Steele is utterly mad. Sanchez is 6ft 7 and one of the best shot stoppers in the world.
really ? Based on what. He’s even Spains third choice keeper

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know exactly how xG is calculated

If you know how it's calculated, why did you say the difference is only the keeper? Because that's wrong.

No. Yet again you are showing that you don't understand xG. You could have an xG of over 3 and fail to get one shot on target.

That's not too say Pickford didn't make any good saves, but don't claim that the xG is proof that he did.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There was more than Steele that had bad games tonight - no one covered themswlves in glory - but I was disappointed the stats got updated after the game. We'd let in 5 goals from 4 shots on target before it was amended. If anything summed up the game, that did.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
really ? Based on what. He’s even Spains third choice keeper
Based on the fact that he makes worldies every game he plays. But his distribution isn't great (at the highest level) and he definitely has too many absolutely unnecessary clangers in him.
I'm not claiming he is one of the best GKs in the world because as we've seen so clearly under RDZ shot stopping isn't enough.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I assume RDZ will be wanting to sign a keeper in the Summer. Sanchez is clearly a better keeper than Steele. He’s going to want someone with Sanchez’s goalkeeping ability and Steele’s passing ability. I hope Steele stays and will play the number 2 role, we can sell Sanchez for decent money and get a replacement in.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Teachers pet. Hence his selection.

Not half the keep Sanchez is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately for him RDZ doesn't rate him with his feet, so we have Steele. Steele offers more with the ball but is simply nowhere near the level of Bob as a shot stopper.
The reality is that because of RDZs demands in terms of a GKs footballing ability OVERALL, GK is one of our weakest positions. Steele has done great, and his story is great, but he hasn't become Ederson overnight.
Plenty got passed Bob which is why Steele got his chance.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Just watched the replays and yes 1 goal, their 3rd the one off him at the near post. Anyone blaming him for the other 4 are in some kind of fantasy land.
I’ve just watched the lowlights too as I thought I may have been missing something. I can only criticise Steele for the 3rd goal. Really unfair and embarrassing comments about him on this thread. In my opinion obviously.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
The third goal is horrendously bad keeping. He was great against Wolves and Utd but I'd have Sanchez back for Arsenal - I really don't think there's much between their distribution

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sanchez is not the same height as Dan Burn!

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
Let's get Anatoly Trubin in. Coming up to the last year of his contract! Worked under RDZ at Shakhtar.

6"5. Great with his feet!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports