Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Is it not a defenders job to know their position?

communication is key all over the pitch. Not just from the goalkeeper.

I’m not saying Steele had a particularly good game yesterday and could have done better with 3 of the goals but everything Everton touched went in. It happened to us against Wolves.

Steele has been solid of late. Really unfair to pin last night on him alone.
I didn’t pin it on him. I just asked a question.

As you say, it’s about the team as a whole. I personally think our defence look less solid and organised with him in there. But I appreciate it’s just an opinion.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Really chuffed for the guy he got a run of games. Don’t think the video’ born again’ on the club website did him any favours- he seems fragile.
My feelings too. Everytime there's a positive video about one of our players, they fluff their lines for a couple of games. IMO it happened for Gross and AliMac too. Possibly untrue...but it's how it feels to me 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
The arrogance in this post. No one is denying that Steele is better with the ball at his feet than Sanchez. I’m certainly not. And the numbers back that up.

But many of us are questioning whether he’s a better all round keeper. I certainly don’t think he is. We seem a lot less certain defensively with him in goal, he certainly doesn’t claim as many crosses, and he doesn’t make anything beyond basic saves. Which is fine if RDZ cares more for ball playing ability than these characteristics, but many of us don’t feel like that. I personally feel a lot less comfortable about us defensively with Steele in goal and our defenders seem to make a lot more mistakes with him there.

But then again, I do have a visual impairment so my opinion is clearly less valuable than yours.

Do you have some examples of this?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Do you have some examples of this?
The lack of organisation against Everton and Forest, being two recent prime examples. Everyone seems to be blaming the defence, and they undoubtedly have to take some of the blame, but we seem to be making a lot more of these types of mistakes with Steele in there. He doesn’t seem to organise or boss his defence around at all.

But maybe this is just coincidence or my perception.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
The lack of organisation against Everton and Forest, being two recent prime examples. Everyone seems to be blaming the defence, and they undoubtedly have to take some of the blame, but we seem to be making a lot more of these types of mistakes with Steele in there. He doesn’t seem to organise or boss his defence around at all.

This is extremely vague.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton

Dunk was poor in both games. He should be chief leader of the defence

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't blame the keeper or the defense - literally every player made big mistakes yesterday. There are certain areas when you're just in that transition into attack when not all the opposition is back, and you have players bombing forward you just cannot give the ball away. That's why we build, that is often why we recycle the ball because it is too risky to lose the ball in those moments. These mistakes we made high up the field in most of the cases, the defense were left exposed and in turn made their own mistakes under pressure. Same with Forest, Dunk passed to Caicedo, Caicedo is not even looking.

They're feeling the pressure of expectation heavy on their backs now. Europe was a dream to aim for, but after the Wolves and MU wins, it became us as favourites for it. We had a bit of freedom at the end of last season with safety confirmed and pretty much no pressure. This is what pressure for success looks like, RDZ is all too aware of falling short when he was with Sassuolo and I think that is why he has talked about mentality now.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Do you want me to go back through the goals we conceded in both games and walk you through the defensive and goalkeeping mistakes?

You said that our defenders seem to make a lot more mistakes with Steele in goal and cited the lack of organisation against Everton and Forest as examples.

I personally don't see the correlation and can't think of any mistakes by the defenders that can be attributed to Steele's presence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here