Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jason Steele

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So he was at fault (maybe) for one goal out of five. I really don’t think he had much chance with any of the others (although haven’t seen a replay yet)
Just watched the replays and yes 1 goal, their 3rd the one off him at the near post. Anyone blaming him for the other 4 are in some kind of fantasy land.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
To give you a bit of a comparison between the two keepers today;

Steele - 100% pass accuracy
Pickford - 31.4% pass accuracy

Horses for courses and all that.
Great but how about these stats:

Brighton shots on target - 5
Everton shots on target - 5

Brighton xG - 3.24
Everton xG - 2.94

The two keepers were literally the difference between being on either end of a 5-1 stuffing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
no way

Brighton xG - 3.24
Everton xG - 2.94

The two keepers were literally the difference between being on either end of a 5-1 stuffing.
How can you blame Steele ? His defenders disappeared for most of the goals. First and last was basically Dunk defending like he was on ketamine

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Brighton xG - 3.24
Everton xG - 2.94

They literally weren’t, although you are demonstrating the adage that you can prove anything with stats.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Made a good save late in the first half. Could he have done better with the goals? Possibly. I'm sure he'll think so, because most goalkeepers will always think they could have done better with any goal they concede.

But he was also left exposed by a defence that was nowhere. For the first goal, Mitoma gives the ball away with most of the team up on the half way line, Dunk leaves Calvert-lewin to run into the box, Dunk then does nothing to put him under pressure or block the cross. Webster is caught ball watching. The second was a similar gift from us, where no one presses the crosser, and no one is on Docoure, leaving him time to pick his spot past an exposed Steele. The third was an unlucky own goal. The fourth was March pulling up injured giving them a free run in on the goal. Similarly the fifth they just got through for another one v one with Steele exposed again.

I think some (most?) of the criticism is coming from the entrenched ideas of whether Sanchez is better or Steel is. I don't see us winning any game that leaves either Sanchez or Steele as vulnerable as our keeper was today.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He isn't a top PL keeper all of a sudden, he's doing a job for us but we'll sign a number 1 in the summer. He has done very well for us overall and it's good to see him turn his career around but he failed upwards and isn't at the same level as the rest of the team.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They literally weren’t, although you are demonstrating the adage that you can prove anything with stats.
Our entire recruitment philosophy is based on stats that show things that aren't obvious to the naked eye. Numbers are very hard to argue with.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Our entire recruitment philosophy is based on stats that show things that aren't obvious to the naked eye. Numbers are very hard to argue with.
The game was done at HT. The xG goals for the first half would be a more accurate reflection of the game. They could easily have got 4 or 5 at HT was as we barely managed a shot.

Of course the second half changed the xG stats and Pickford pull off a couple of regulation saves but there is no way that game was decided on the goalkeepers.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
As goalkeeper Steele is a very good sweeper but not a shot stopper. Should have played on the pitch. Bring back Big Bob!
he Reminds me of Mat Ryan with far more football ability!
Eh? I thought shot stopping was Matty's no.1 asset.
And what is 'Should have played on the pitch' supposed to mean??:shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Eh? I thought shot stopping was Matty's no.1 asset.
And what is 'Should have played on the pitch' supposed to mean??:shrug:
Matt Ryan's shot stopping ability seemed to disappear in the first 10 games of the 20/21 season. Given that that was indeed his no. 1 asset as he at he was in no way a box-dominating keeper, it didn't really leave much left going for him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So he was at fault (maybe) for one goal out of five. I really don’t think he had much chance with any of the others (although haven’t seen a replay yet)

Just watched the replays and yes 1 goal, their 3rd the one off him at the near post. Anyone blaming him for the other 4 are in some kind of fantasy land.
I don't agree. OG was his fault and I'd fancy Ramsdale, Alison, Pope would do better with the goal where he was easily put down (as was Dunk), the last at his near post others would save imho.

Great strike by McNeil, and made no difference to result, but better keeper either saves it or positions better to cut off near post.

Team all round was poor but don't pretend Steele wasn't too just because he's a top bloke.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I like Steele and I'd keep him. RDZ clearly sees something in him more than Bobby. Its for that reason that i would not be surprised to see a new keeper in the summer with Bobby off elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here