[Albion] Jason Steele

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's great with his feet and great at penalties. Shot stopping and positioning is woeful
I suggest you watch last Thursday’s game against Man Utd again.
He made 4 good saves with his shot stopping.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Scapegoat time again in NSC. Ridiculous blaming Steele today. Our defence and midfield left him totally exposed for at least 3 of their goals. Horrendous performances all over the pitch. Gross looked like he was running through treacle at times when they were on the break and they had a pick of passes to score on at least 3 occasions where no one tracked runners. Dunk bullied by a big striker (again).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
f*** me your memory is that short you’ve forgotten Thursday night already?!

Those criticising Steele and suggesting Sanchez would have done better should rewatch the game we conceded 4 at home to Arsenal.

Steele was not to blame for any of that today. The players in front of him and RDZ need to take it on the chin.
He's not responsible for the crap passes in midfield, but he's 100% responsible for the OG where he gambled, moved the wrong way and exposed his near post and the action of moving wrong way and his leg too, caused the goal.

Did you see the keeper in the Everton goal? Making save after save after Save.... Steele made none, we lose ball they move up pitch, and score....... easily putting Steele on floor, then scoring another near post goal that I'm sure both Pickford and Sanchez would've saved.

Sanchez too has issues with feet and odd blunder, it's not saying Sanchez is the answer, just that Steele isnt long term for a team wanting to stay in top ten of PL.

Steele has his strengths for sure with his passing, and he has done OK with regulation saves near to him, but today he was rubbish and he is not a top 10 PL keeper, sorry if that shatters the love in.

I'd take Raya from Brentford over both of them.

We are where we are, and maybe Steele is better for RDZ passing style, but that doesn't make him a top PL keeper, he isn't unfortunately and I hope we get better than both.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sanchez would be my no 1 but to call Steele out after that is harsh. The entire team didn’t turn up from a defensive point of view

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where can I? Just watched this and the two shots he saved here are as explained. Rashford's is a normal save and Martial's is literally straight at him

He saved more than two shots. Try to find the whole game somewhere.
On the other hand, it seems you want to blame Steele for our defence today.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
He saved more than two shots. Try to find the whole game somewhere.
On the other hand, it seems you want to blame Steele for our defence today.
I'm not watching the whole game somewhere. I am thinking back to watching the game and the highlights proved my memory correct. If he had big saves the highlights would have shown it.

Defence first half was woeful today and no one can save Everton's first goal for example but the 3rd and 4th is awful goalkeeping.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sanchez would be my no 1 but to call Steele out after that is harsh. The entire team didn’t turn up from a defensive point of view
It's not calling Steele out for it all, it was a crap team performance, Dunk, Webster, Estupinian, Gross, MacAllister and Welbeck were all toss first half, they all gave ball away cheaply and looked well off it....... but unlike Pickford who was an excellent last line of defence, Steele was crap.... he caused 1 goal, should've stopped one or two more, it didn't change the score, we would've lost anyway, but I don't think it unobjective to suggest he's not a top ten PL keeper with the gloves and not a steadfast long term number number 1.

That's not scapegoating him alone, but today did highlight his deficiencies with the gloves..... today we needed Pickfords performance.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
It's not calling Steele out for it all, it was a crap team performance, Dunk, Webster, Estupinian, Gross, MacAllister and Welbeck were all toss first half, they all gave ball away cheaply and looked well off it....... but unlike Pickford who was an excellent last line of defence, Steele was crap.... he caused 1 goal, should've stopped one or two more, it didn't change the score, we would've lost anyway, but I don't think it unobjective to suggest he's not a top ten PL keeper with the gloves and not a steadfast long term number number 1.

That's not scapegoating him alone, gut today did highlight his deficiencies with the gloves..... today we needed Pickfords performance.
Webster was especially poor tonight

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That's not scapegoating him alone, but today did highlight his deficiencies with the gloves..... today we needed Pickfords performance.
Will have to watch it back, but I didn’t think Pickford’s saves were that special, thought our finishing was poor. I was in the South stand and didn’t think Steele could have stopped any of them because they were so well worked. Like I said though, not seen any replays.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
He's not responsible for the crap passes in midfield, but he's 100% responsible for the OG where he gambled, moved the wrong way and exposed his near post and the action of moving wrong way and his leg too, caused the goal.

Did you see the keeper in the Everton goal? Making save after save after Save.... Steele made none, we lose ball they move up pitch, and score....... easily putting Steele on floor, then scoring another near post goal that I'm sure both Pickford and Sanchez would've saved.

Sanchez too has issues with feet and odd blunder, it's not saying Sanchez is the answer, just that Steele isnt long term for a team wanting to stay in top ten of PL.

Steele has his strengths for sure with his passing, and he has done OK with regulation saves near to him, but today he was rubbish and he is not a top 10 PL keeper, sorry if that shatters the love in.

I'd take Raya from Brentford over both of them.

We are where we are, and maybe Steele is better for RDZ passing style, but that doesn't make him a top PL keeper, he isn't unfortunately and I hope we get better than both.
So he was at fault (maybe) for one goal out of five. I really don’t think he had much chance with any of the others (although haven’t seen a replay yet)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm not watching the whole game somewhere. I am thinking back to watching the game and the highlights proved my memory correct. If he had big saves the highlights would have shown it.

Defence first half was woeful today and no one can save Everton's first goal for example but the 3rd and 4th is awful goalkeeping.
You’re right. I recorded it and watched the whole 90 mins back again. Steele makes some regulation saves - the sort of shot that if a keeper lets though him you’d be asking serious questions - that’s all.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Was hard to see from the other end of the stadium for the first half goals, but the third looked like the only one he could really be faulted for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports