[Albion] Jason Steele

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Bit harsh. He has been excellent lately. Yes, very poor today but that wasn’t just hiM. Whole team were very below usual standards. We aren’t going to win every single match and I’d rather he made 3 mistakes in one match than one mistake for 3 matches and cost us 9 points.

Maybe we will see another switch with Sanchez coming back. But not fair to criticise him alone for all he has done and the result today.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Crikey, one bad game in many and now he's "not a Premier League keeper".

I've missed NSC having a scapegoat, it's been a while.
I've said the same when we've won too. Compare his performance to Pickford today. Can Steele do anything on the cutbacks/first goal for example? No of course not.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Crikey, one bad game in many and now he's "not a Premier League keeper".

I've missed NSC having a scapegoat, it's been a while.
I've said the same for games we've won, he just isn't good enough. Sure he can have one good game, he conceded 5 goals from an xG of 2.3.

second and fifth goals straight at him, can't even save those.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Nothing has changed. Everyone knew he's a bit small and not the best shot stopper, even though he's made some great saves.
We have got a bit complacent because our last two managers have got a lot of our squad punching well above their weight. Steele is decent but he wouldn't get into another team in this league.
RDZ obviously values his skill on the ball but I am absolutely certain we are looking at keepers for the Summer.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I've said the same for games we've won, he just isn't good enough. Sure he can have one good game, he conceded 5 goals from an xG of 2.3.

second and fifth goals straight at him, can't even save those.
That's patently not true though. He's been fantastic up until today, and made some incredible saves against Man Utd - yes, as a shot stopper.

There's no need to overreact and say he's not good enough for the PL. He clearly is.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Steele is a great keeper when he has no shots to deal with.
This. That's it in a nutshell.

Good game v Man U, but possibly saves he should've made.

Today with the gloves he was woeful, the OG wasn't a random accident, he gambled on where the ball would be crossed towards middle, dived wrong way and got caught by ball smashed towards near post.......

Went down too easy and looked stupid in the McNeil 4-0 goal, and the last whilst well struck, shouldn't be getting in there at near post.

Steele is one of the very best keepers in the PL at playing ball with his feet, he's nowhere near the best at stopping shots and saves. He wouldn't be number 1 at any other club imho

Bobs gloves and Steeles feet is our perfect keeper, but because Bob isn't great with his feet and Steele isnt great with the gloves, we still have issues in the GK department

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Getting caught out at the near post for the own goal was very poor.
Sanchez is easily a better shot stopper.
Losing 5-1 at home usually involves a poor performance from everyone not just the odd slip up by the keeper.

Win as a team. Lose as a team.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Steele is a great keeper when he has no shots to deal with.
f*** me your memory is that short you’ve forgotten Thursday night already?!

Those criticising Steele and suggesting Sanchez would have done better should rewatch the game we conceded 4 at home to Arsenal.

Steele was not to blame for any of that today. The players in front of him and RDZ need to take it on the chin.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That's patently not true though. He's been fantastic up until today, and made some incredible saves against Man Utd - yes, as a shot stopper.

There's no need to overreact and say he's not good enough for the PL. He clearly is.
The saves he made against Man U the other night were the saves you’d expect any keeper to make at this level. He did his job well but they were nothing special.

Sanchez has the ability to pull off far better saves. The one in the cup semi from Rashford’s deflected shot, for example. Steele wouldn’t have kept that out.

It’s got to be more than a coincidence that we’ve conceded so many goals (mainly against mid-lower table opposition) in the 10 games Steele has played?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's saved lots of shots that would've put us behind in games this season.

Today the defence, from the first seconds simply disappeared. Astonishingly awful, Webster and Dunk selling themselves on nothing balls near the centre line. Then demonstrating their lack of pace at the highest level. Estpuninan probably had his worst game, he kept being found out 80 yards upfield.

Ederson or Allison would’ve conceded lots today too with that unbelievably incompetent show from the defenders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports