Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] January blues

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Going by your avatar, I assume you loved the Marx Brothers? Don’t think I’ve got round to asking you in the past.
Yes very much so Westy. I would have had Groucho as an avatar but that upstart Trufflehound got in there first.
Anyway I’ve got to go as I need to clear the biscuit crumbs out of my bed…., I’m expecting company.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes very much so Westy. I would have had Groucho as an avatar but that upstart Trufflehound got in there first.
Anyway I’ve got to go as I need to clear the biscuit crumbs out of my bed…., I’m expecting company.

I love seeing the avatar. I’ve fond memories of Xmas’s as a kid (pre video era), with the BBC airing A Day At The Races, A Night At The Opera, etc. My Dad was nuts on Laurel & Hardy, one of older brothers the Marx Brothers, they passed on the love.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm 6'4" round the middle and 64 in May :(
Besides that, lifes all good.
The missus however, there's never been a more miserable bitch in January. I even bought her a sad lamp, she pops vitamins but still could sleep for 25 hours a day....definitely best to avoid her bridge this time of year

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I love seeing the avatar. I’ve fond memories of Xmas’s as a kid (pre video era), with the BBC airing A Day At The Races, A Night At The Opera, etc. My Dad was nuts on Laurel & Hardy, one of older brothers the Marx Brothers, they passed on the love.
The first time I saw them was when my brothers friends used to come round stoned when I was about 12 and just go to pieces. I adored them. Duck soup is just unbelievable as are all the ones you mentioned. I have all their films on dvd but as you say it was great at Christmas years ago when they came on. As much as I love the slapstick of Laurel and Hardy I’ve always thought The Marx Bros anti establishment humour was just something different.
Anyway I never forget a face, but for you I’ll make an exception.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
My dad was Laurel and Hardy mad too. Used to be on the telly all the time when I was younger. It's easily jumped the generational gap to me now I'm pleased to say.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My dad was Laurel and Hardy mad too. Used to be on the telly all the time when I was younger. It's easily jumped the generational gap to me now I'm pleased to say.
The film Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly starred in was lovely. Captured the warmth of their partnership.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had Oct & Nov blues, which have thankfully passed although I'm conscious I've not addressed the underlying issues.

My Dec/Christmas project became a nice January distraction, (as per the wristwatch thread).
& paramount TV was £35 for the year.

I appear to be starting the year better than I finished.

Hopefully this serves as a reminder 'form is temporary ...' folks.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I find it interesting that in the 70’s I (and countless millions) loved comedy, cartoons and movies from the 30’s and 40’s. Made for two generations older than us. I thought Ealing comedies, Niven, Cary Grant, Bette Davis and Bogart movies were masterpieces.

These days, my kids consider the 90’s alien.

We were more lad back or open minded / the world’s speeded up.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
f***ing hate January, always a miserable month

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I find it interesting that in the 70’s I (and countless millions) loved comedy, cartoons and movies from the 30’s and 40’s. Made for two generations older than us. I thought Ealing comedies, Niven, Cary Grant, Bette Davis and Bogart movies were masterpieces.

I’m in the process of educating my 5 year year old grandson to Tom and Jerry and my favourite Foghorn Leghorn. He adores it all. Of course it gives me a reason to watch it all again.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023

So true. Some absolute classics out there that a lot of people would ignore just because they are black and white.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here