Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January 2024 Additions

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
While it does feel like we’re one short for the full back positions, we do need to remember the sheer insanity of our injury list, which is not typical.

There is no point bringing 3-4 players in if by next season they’re either blocking the development of our emerging talents or complaining about not getting minutes on the pitch.

Unless the club feels as if the required cover is already present at the club, just currently undercooked, then I’d welcome us having a bit more cover for the full back positions. The defensive midfield role is the other place where for me there’s a question mark, but perhaps with Moder’s return, and no need to play Milner as a full back, no strengthening is required. Baleba must be allowed time to grow into the role, and I don’t honestly know where Moder ends up, but I’m glad we’ve got him.

Then there’s Hinshelwood, who (not in position or playing style, but in stage of development) reminds me of my thoughts on JPvH in his first few matches in the first team. Finding his feet, a bit tentative, there’s a mistake or two in there just as a result of being raw.

If Hinshelwood can follow the same trajectory as JPvH, then I begin to see less and less need for permanent reinforcements. Perhaps some short-term loan cover instead.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
While it does feel like we’re one short for the full back positions, we do need to remember the sheer insanity of our injury list, which is not typical.

There is no point bringing 3-4 players in if by next season they’re either blocking the development of our emerging talents or complaining about not getting minutes on the pitch.

Unless the club feels as if the required cover is already present at the club, just currently undercooked, then I’d welcome us having a bit more cover for the full back positions. The defensive midfield role is the other place where for me there’s a question mark, but perhaps with Moder’s return, and no need to play Milner as a full back, no strengthening is required. Baleba must be allowed time to grow into the role, and I don’t honestly know where Moder ends up, but I’m glad we’ve got him.

Then there’s Hinshelwood, who (not in position or playing style, but in stage of development) reminds me of my thoughts on JPvH in his first few matches in the first team. Finding his feet, a bit tentative, there’s a mistake or two in there just as a result of being raw.

If Hinshelwood can follow the same trajectory as JPvH, then I begin to see less and less need for permanent reinforcements. Perhaps some short-term loan cover instead.
Silly comparison jpvh v hinsh.

Jvph was raw but like Baleba and Enciso has special stand out qualities. He is tall, strong , very very fast (much faster than dunk) , he reads the game well, mature.

The only stand out quality hinsh has is that he's mature. He's slow, short , small, out of position constantly (he's playing out of position so fair enough). He's made 2 massive mistakes in his second game. Passing to their forward twice in quick succession which they could have easily scored from and giving away a pen. I just don't see what others are seeing with this guy. Yes , ok he can get an 80% pass completion rate because he passes the ball 2 yards constantly.

He must have something though as he keeps repping England and RDZ seems to like him.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Jvph was raw but like Baleba and Enciso has special stand out qualities. He is tall, strong , very very fast (much faster than dunk) , he reads the game well, mature.

The only stand out quality hinsh has is that he's mature. He's slow, short , small, out of position constantly (he's playing out of position so fair enough). He's made 2 massive mistakes in his second game. Passing to their forward twice in quick succession which they could have easily scored from and giving away a pen. I just don't see what others are seeing with this guy. Yes , ok he can get an 80% pass completion rate because he passes the ball 2 yards constantly.

He must have something though as he keeps repping England and RDZ seems to like him.

You expressed your opinion on Hinshelwood on the match day thread against Forest, then again on the player’s own thread. And now here you are again. It’s beginning to seem almost personal against the lad.

What any player (or at least most) coming through from youth football need, is to rid themselves of any lingering feelings of imposter syndrome (that they don’t belong), and familiarity with their teammates and what the coach is asking of them.

Some of that can be done in training, but you don’t have a first team player unless they’re playing in the first team. There reaches a point where you have to put them in the team, accept the mistakes and see if they learn from them or not.

That’s what’s happening with Hinshelwood, just like it happened with JPvH, and time will tell as to what sort of a player Hinshelwood develops into.

Given that he’s one of ours, I’m hoping it’s all onward and upward for him. As you say, both RdZ and the England setup are seeing enough progress to keep him involved, which suggests that people who are far more knowledgeable about football and players than you or I rate him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The England people and RDZ and his coaching staff can obviously see more of his ability and quality than you can.

In other news, nights are fair drawin' in as we get nearer to Christmas........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

.........and yet he's the first player to go right through our academy from entry point to the first team isn't he ? Presumably impressing multiple coaches at every stage of development, being subject to continual assessment and analysis (in competition with dozens of others), being offered a scholarship etc etc. The club have already invested many 000s in him. He's raw and inexperienced at the moment (and probably wouldn't be as involved if we weren't suffering so much on the injury front) but I'll go with the England/club view for now. Not sure what publicly slagging him off so forcefully achieves.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

So you rate him then? 😁

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Unfortunately I think that Barco is going to City. I’ve seen some rumour that he’ll then be loaned out.
I think we’ll be going for Adrien Tameze from Torino. We should get him for c £10m and he can play full back and defensive midfield. Both positions where we need cover.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Yep, loans for me, if we can find the right fit. Also, I think Milner is likely to play a very limited part - he may be fit for his age, but full on PL (and Europa?) games will take it's toll.
It's great to see Lallana playing 45 mins, and I think that's the most we can expect on a regular basis. What I've noticed (from highlights only admittedly) is that Lallana is a great asset with his little dummies and occasional flicks - he doesn't need to run himself into the ground, and he can create situations and pre-assists that lead to chances and goals for others. He's a very clever player.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd like a first team ready left back. We don't know how long Estupinian will be out and I think he is quite high up on the possible summer departures list so to get his replacement in nice and early would be good.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
For January specifically- I’d like us to go back and try again for Mykola Matviyenko - he’d be a really useful CB if needed but also plays the elusive LB position we need (and RB) - he doesn’t seem to play as high as Pervis but he’s flexible with stack loads of European experience - already knows RDZ’s DNA - we’d probably have to fork out north of £33 million as he signed a new contract with Shakhtar last March until 2027+1 but given his flexibility a good investment I reckon. Might be difficult getting him to ‘desert’ Ukraine while the war is going on but knowing RDZ might make it easier.

silly promo

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For January specifically- I’d like us to go back and try again for Mykola Matviyenko - he’d be a really useful CB if needed but also plays the elusive LB position we need (and RB) - he doesn’t seem to play as high as Pervis but he’s flexible with stack loads of European experience - already knows RDZ’s DNA - we’d probably have to fork out north of £33 million as he signed a new contract with Shakhtar last March until 2027+1 but given his flexibility a good investment I reckon. Might be difficult getting him to ‘desert’ Ukraine while the war is going on but knowing RDZ might make it easier.

silly promo

28 in May though. Can’t see Bloom paying £30M+ for that profile of player. He’s probably the last real saleable asset Shaktar have so they won’t let him go cheaply.

Jimmy Grimble

The Fati and Lamptey injury news means we have to go big in January if we want to stay in contention with the top 8. There’s no way we can compete in Europe and the league with this level of injuries alongside players leaving for international competitions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I take it that is the last time we will see Fati?

If he is out for 3 months, I assume he will go back to Barca.

I can’t remember a time when we had so many injuries to a first team squad.

What is the news about lamptey?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because teams tend to recall their loanees if significant injuries impact their ability to play for the team they are loaned to.

We have had a few over the years

What is lampteys injury?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Fati and Lamptey injury news means we have to go big in January if we want to stay in contention with the top 8. There’s no way we can compete in Europe and the league with this level of injuries alongside players leaving for international competitions.
Our attacking options are going to look very limited in the new year as things stand...

March - out for the season
Welbeck - "long term"
Fati - out for c3 months
Mitoma - Asian Cup 12/1 - 10/2
Adingra - African Cup of Nations 13/1 - 11/2

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Lamptey, Wellbeck, Lllana, Webster and probably Milner all too fragile..

Plenty of wages could be used better. Would like to see some shifted at end of season
That’s nailed on I think for all five.

second thoughts, I’d keep Lamptey, but I wonder if he would himself be happy with that, the others yes, at the end of season time to move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here