[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My one criticism about RDZ last year was that JPVH, Gilmour and Undav were all kind of ignored till the end of the season when injury/fatigue forced RDZ to play them. None of them were given enough game time to make much of a case for themselves and tbh they all looked like they’d be on the way out.

Now all three could (if Undav hadn’t wanted to go!) play a big part of this season and you have to wonder if we would have just sold them on as not good enough if he hadn’t been forced to give them a chance.

As a club that as a model relies on playing young players and bringing them through, I kind of worry about that.
You have used an example to three young players emerging as starts at the end of the season to inform your narrative that we are not relying on young players and bringing them through? There was a very good reason why Billy Gilmour (Billy Gilmour) wasn't being selected earlier on. There was also a very good reason why Undav wasn't. There were personal issues with both men, mentioned on NSC passim, that badly affected them. And finally, they did start getting game time. So I'm very relaxed about how RDZ and the club are dealing with it all. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In OCTOBER!?
Was when Webster rolled over.
Just before the CL final' was when Hecke put in a masterclass on the big fella.

I used to really rate Webster but, in my mind, there's something not quite right about him and that's even more exposed under RDZ.

I'm not and never will say he's shitehouse, but I'm beginning to think he's more 'West Ham' than the Albion.
(Still easily EPL, but not quite cultured)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
JPVH for me, is still a long way behind Webster, who is hugely under-rated by a lot of folk on here.
Bang on.

Have to say I remain on the fence with JPVH (despite his brilliant display against Haaland), his other games have been quite ordinary IMO.

Webster on the other hand, is a Rolls Royce defender, who gets stronger when he plays regularly. Injuries really hampered him last season.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Bang on.

Have to say I remain on the fence with JPVH (despite his brilliant display against Haaland), his other games have been quite ordinary IMO.

Webster on the other hand, is a Rolls Royce defender, who gets stronger when he plays regularly. Injuries really hampered him last season.
Yes, no doubt he needs a run of games to get up to his best. Trouble is, the injuries are preventing that big time. Webster that is. I quite rate JPVH, think he’s got better and better as time’s gone on.

Nicks

Was when Webster rolled over.
Just before the CL final' was when Hecke put in a masterclass on the big fella.

I used to really rate Webster but, in my mind, there's something not quite right about him and that's even more exposed under RDZ.

I'm not and never will say he's shitehouse, but I'm beginning to think he's more 'West Ham' than the Albion.
(Still easily EPL, but not quite cultured)
I agree. He is prone to one serious gaff in every game, and normally when he is not under pressure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree. He is prone to one serious gaff in every game, and normally when he is not under pressure.
Amazing to think that 4 years ago that would be what we would have said about Duffy. My, haven't thinks kicked on? ???

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Said it before and no agenda but Webster isn’t good enough

Jpvh is ahead of him now

Webster ok squad player but every game he gives away chances

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You could say that about any premier league footballer. It's just some get a narrative about it attached to them, because they make a few shortly after making their debut, in a memorable game or it happens to lead to a crucial goal that sticks in the mind.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Bang on.

I'm 'glad' I'm not the only one on here who just can't see it re: JPVH. Much prefer Webster, who unfortunately is let down by being constantly injured.

And if I read one more person go on about this supposed master-class against Halland (where all I witnessed was constant shirt pulling and fouling by our man) I'll scream ;)

Genuinely, what is it that the great and the good of NSC see in JPVH? Because I just can't see it unfortunately, however hard I look,

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm 'glad' I'm not the only one on here who just can't see it re: JPVH. Much prefer Webster, who unfortunately is let down by being constantly injured.

And if I read one more person go on about this supposed master-class against Halland (where all I witnessed was constant shirt pulling and fouling by our man) I'll scream ;)

Genuinely, what is it that the great and the good of NSC see in JPVH? Because I just can't see it unfortunately, however hard I look,
I’m with you. He’s promising but that is it, a long way from being a first choice starter for me.

Like Undav, his reputation on here has been boosted by a couple of games at the end of the season and then the season ending when when it did!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Crazy theory, but instead of player A being better than player B, could it be that players dip in and out of form, which is why we there is a squad to choose from?

I posted on here (maybe even in this very thread) that never before have I seen a player go so quickly from 'Get rid ASAP' to 'absolute quality CB'. The 180° was done between consecutive appearances (Barcodes and Citeh, respectively), but the true reflection of his talent is probably somewhere in the middle.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Crazy theory, but instead of player A being better than player B, could it be that players dip in and out of form, which is why we there is a squad to choose from?

I posted on here (maybe even in this very thread) that never before have I seen a player go so quickly from 'Get rid ASAP' to 'absolute quality CB'. The 180° was done between consecutive appearances (Barcodes and Citeh, respectively), but the true reflection of his talent is probably somewhere in the middle.
Frankly disappointed that you hadn't posted:

This is a season-defining player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You mean our quickest CB who is two footed can carry the ball 60 yards up the pitch and has a nice line in last ditch tackles?
We don't see your Webster too often any more, fingers crossed that Webbo returns.

I don't know if JPVH is the answer, his valuation would suggest the club think he is, there was a time when some young whipper-snapped wouldn't have been able to hold a candle to your Adam who's now in his prime.

For me, at the moment, those days are long gone.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Both Webster and JPVH have had good games and mediocre games for us.

With Webster I’m never sure if he’s carrying an injury, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. With JPVH we have a chicken and egg situation where if he doesn’t get game time, he won’t develop, but if he does get game time, he’s going to get caught out occasionally as he’s still learning the game at this level.

It’s encouraging to me that while JPVH looked noticeably shaky at the start of his first few appearances, he’s grown in stature and finished the season strongly. That to me is a strong enough sign of his development to stick with him and give him all the encouragement he needs. Time will tell if he’s the answer, but if Roberto is selecting him, that’s good enough for me.

I certainly won’t be getting on his back this season, and hope he keeps building on what he’s already doing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bang on.

We disagree on JPVH but I am am 100% with you on Webster when fit and has a few games under his belt. He does seem to take longer than most to get back to his best after what are to me are regular and never minor injuries. We certainly need cover for him.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You mean our quickest CB who is two footed can carry the ball 60 yards up the pitch and has a nice line in last ditch tackles?
No idea how quick Webster is or if he is two footed. He certainly needs two or three touches on the ball where others move it on with one. And he can certainly carry the ball 60 yards up the pitch and lose it leaving him out of position for counter attacks. And he certainly has a penchant for last ditch tackles that deflect the ball towards even more dangerous positions. But then I've said all this before and been pilloried for it. On the other hand, if he can stay fit, I think he has grown in to having a squad role despite my response to the post. He looks fitter and leaner, he isn't slow and he is now an experienced pro. It looks to me as if those foolhardy runs upfield that leave him out of position are being coached out of him and improving positional awareness has reduced him sticking a leg out to deflect the ball in to more danger. My only real issue with him now is his tendency to dwell uncertainly on the ball where others move it quicker. Anyhoo, this thread is about JP who I think is maturing quite nicely and Dunk like. If the club slapped a 'tens of millions' asking price on him last week, I think we can assume he is developing well.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Surely being able to manhandle a player who no other central defender has been able to live with counts for something?

What I see in JPVH is a young defender learning their trade, coming on well and (while absolutely not the finished article) staking a claim for a first team spot.

Perhaps his ceiling won’t be as high as necessary to be a guaranteed starter, but he visibly developed over last season, from being openly targeted as a weak link in his first couple of starts, to holding his own in the style that RDZ wants to play.

We’re not going to know for a season or even two whether JPVH is going to be a useful backup or a world class central defender, but I (personally) feel I’ve seen enough progress to warrant some patience with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports