Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul Van Hecke

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have we? Shipped him out on loan and then brought another player in on loan to limit his game time despite knowing we wouldn't have been able to keep that player longer than a season. JPVH must feel like an after thought and really question how much he's rated here. I wouldn't blame him if he felt like this isn't the club where he can expect to play a good number of games and really develop his career the way that he must surely be expecting to and hope for.
Young right sided CB feels his nose put out of joint when club gets a young left-sided CB in on loan? Blimey - must be hyper-sensitive, poor lamb!

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Different coaching regime brought in Colwill though, right?

Assuming Potter and his team wanted Colwill then perhaps he (JVPH) wasn't rated much but RDZ has given him a chance. Perhaps he wouldn't have had Webster remained fit and Colwill hadn't turned out to be such a good young defender but I think JVPH is pretty well thought of.

Just gut feelings.

My one criticism about RDZ last year was that JPVH, Gilmour and Undav were all kind of ignored till the end of the season when injury/fatigue forced RDZ to play them. None of them were given enough game time to make much of a case for themselves and tbh they all looked like they’d be on the way out.

Now all three could (if Undav hadn’t wanted to go!) play a big part of this season and you have to wonder if we would have just sold them on as not good enough if he hadn’t been forced to give them a chance.

As a club that as a model relies on playing young players and bringing them through, I kind of worry about that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmm. A solid championship loan where he won player of the season, followed by a season around a top 6 Premier League squad with sporadic minutes and cup games. Natural progression is a decent role for him this season.
This is based on my opinion only but I have a feeling that De Zerbi has him above Webster in the pecking order.
This. Odd how people use 'shipped out on loan' in a negative context when it's an absolutely key part of our player development strategy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With JPVH I just feel like he is alright. I'm reminded of a younger Dunk when watching how clumsy he is so there's the hope he'll grow out of that, but he looks like a penalty, yellow, red card waiting to happen IMHO. We've just signed a vastly experienced CB for 14 million, so if someone offered us that kind of money for him I'd bite their hand off. People will point to the Man City game but that's not normal. Man marking Haaland seems a difficult task so fair play for that, but his bread and butter is going to be much more orthodox. Can he deal with being turned or dragged wide by a Watkins, does he have the positional nous and composure against teams attacking us on the break, is he strong enough to deal with the set piece threat of a Brentford? I'm not so sure. Him and Igor at the back will definitely be eventful.
BUT if RDZ fancies him that's all that matters.
It may be meant as a negative, but in my view comparisons to a young Dunk are a massive plus - maybe in a few years he could actually be Dunk's replacement! There is plenty of room in the squad now for JPVH, I think - Dunk may get injured, Veltman might get injured or be needed at RB (where JPVH can play too, if needed), and I agree with #BevBHA - my gut feeling is that RDZ rates him above Webster.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agreed and I’d add
To be fair on Webster, I still think Haaland fouled him on the led up to the goal.
Agreed and I’d add that while I think VH had a great game he did lose Haaland in the lead up to his assist for Fodens goal and on another occasion when Steele came to the rescue …this shouldn’t distract though from a fine performance against a player that has scored how many goals last season 👀

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It may be meant as a negative, but in my view comparisons to a young Dunk are a massive plus - maybe in a few years he could actually be Dunk's replacement! There is plenty of room in the squad now for JPVH, I think - Dunk may get injured, Veltman might get injured ir be needed at RB (where JPVH can play too, if needed), and I agree with #BevBHA - my gut feeling is that RDZ rates him above Webster.
No it wasn't negative. I mentioned Dunk at the beginning because he had moments of utter lunacy so players can develop that side of their game. Not writing JPVH off at all, just think he has a long way to go to be fully trusted and reliable.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I saw him i the club shop in Churchill Square yesterday. He was looking at the away kits.

I think that's the first time I've seen a player out and about since I saw Nicky rust and junior McDougal coming out of the hmv in Western road.

Not the most exciting/interesting/pertinent post in the world but you know, that's just how my life rolls.:cool:
You'd have thought they give them the shirts for free. Times must be tough.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I saw him i the club shop in Churchill Square yesterday. He was looking at the away kits.

I think that's the first time I've seen a player out and about since I saw Nicky rust and junior McDougal coming out of the hmv in Western road.

Not the most exciting/interesting/pertinent post in the world but you know, that's just how my life rolls.:cool:
Secret shopper 😂

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be fair on Webster, I still think Haaland fouled him on the led up to the goal.
The actual answer is 'but Haaland had nothing to play for and was only concentrating on the CL final'.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's far too exciting for me. I haven't seen a player out and about since I stood behind Gerry Fell in the post office on Blatchington Rd

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
My one criticism about RDZ last year was that JPVH, Gilmour and Undav were all kind of ignored till the end of the season when injury/fatigue forced RDZ to play them. None of them were given enough game time to make much of a case for themselves and tbh they all looked like they’d be on the way out.

Now all three could (if Undav hadn’t wanted to go!) play a big part of this season and you have to wonder if we would have just sold them on as not good enough if he hadn’t been forced to give them a chance.

As a club that as a model relies on playing young players and bringing them through, I kind of worry about that.
Not sure that's totally fair. I think Gilmour's different as he is clearly good enough but as we've subsequently found out, he had a lot going on away from football. However with Undav and JPVH, I think he managed them well.

JPVH was/is not as good as Dunk, Webster, Colwill or Veltman so had a lot less game time until the end when we needed hi. He played away to Leicester in the winter and was woeful - the players were deliberately not passing to him. He played well in a couple of games towards the end of the season and looked decent in America too so hopefully he is now coming good. He's just turned 23 so is still young in CB terms.

Undav looked way off the pace earlier in the season and again, is not as good as Welbeck or Ferguson so it's fair enough he wasn't played much till later in the season when we needed him. By then he'd had months to work with RDZ and benefited from that. I'm of the opinion loaning him out now is the correct call too so again, I think he's been managed well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here