Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke - contracted to June 2027

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
After the game someone did make the point that Brighton cope better with injuries than West Ham as everyone who comes in knows exactly what their role is.
They are probably the same people that complained that we were making too many changes early in the season. We're seeing the benefits now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think he's better than Colwill will ever be. I'm so pleased how well JPVH is developing, he's a top Centre Back and I wouldn't be surprised if he partners Van Dijk for the Netherlands at Euro 2024.
If that does end up being true, I see that as a more damning indictment on the standard of coaching at Chelsea than anything. Colwill is a very good young CB, with a high ceiling and he's also still only 20 years old who's often being played out of position as a defensive left back.

I'd have been very surprised if we were going to pay ~£40m for him if we hadn't seen something special in his time here. I also wouldn't be that surprised if we didn't try again, given Chelsea need to sell an HGP or two to comply with FFP and we're looking at CBs again.

Either way, JP has been excellent and has gone from strength to strength. I'll be honest, I didn't think he'd get this good this quickly.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The commentators didn't even mention it.
I thought that as well at the time. It was outrageous. Had van Dijk done that we'd be treated to endless replays and analysis of it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sky were very much going through the motions last night
Even Steve Sidwell put an instagram up of them watching the darts during our game saying thank god this has saved us

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Even Steve Sidwell put an instagram up of them watching the darts during our game saying thank god this has saved us
Having listened to Sidders on the Crouch podcast and seen his punditry, it's difficult to escape the fact that (although I love him as an Albion player) he's not the sharpest tool in the box

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
van Hecke is becoming a world class defender.

Still only 23... as he matures he'll stop making the occasional silly error.... but generally speaking his defensive AND attacking play are top, top drawer.

Exactly the type of defender we need playing for this club and our style of football.

Going to be incredible to see as he continues to get better and better and better.

Really hope we can keep hold of him.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Whilst the assist is heavenly, the left footed threaded ball to Groß for the one-two (which he 100% knows he is getting back in the perfect position) is sublime as is his choice to run straight to the fans as if he has scored the goal!
Is it biased to say I think we play the most beautiful football in the League - even if I wasn’t a fan, I would be.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here