Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke - contracted to June 2027

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The final of the European Under-21 Championships is on Sunday, July 9. If the Orange is indeed going to do well, it will take a while before Van Hecke has a holiday. After that, the question is what his football future will look like. His contract with Brighton expired, but his English employer has lifted an option, leaving Van Hecke fixed for a year longer.

However, the contract extension does not mean that it is certain that Van Hecke will wear Brighton's shirt again next season. The club has extended his contract so that it does not walk out for free in any case. "We had conversations with the club and after the European Championships that will continue," said Van Hecke. "The intention is there to renew, but nothing has been signed yet."

In the final weeks of the season, he made his appearance within the lines more often. The chance of playing minutes weighs heavily in the contract negotiations. "I'd like to play more next season, that could be at Brighton or somewhere else. After the European Championships, more will become clear."

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Getting him tied down to a longer contract should be a high priority this summer.
Agreed - exercising the option is not really a good thing

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I guess he'll want to leave if he gets a decent offer.

Being essentially Dunk's back up can be a thankless position to be in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He is definitely worth keeping hold of. If nothing else, I've never seen a player go so drastically on NSC from 'GET RID ASAP' to 'WORLD-CLASS' in consecutive appearances (as a starter) :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You are assuming that Dunk‘s injury is short term and that he’ll stay fit all next season. Maybe a new contract is subject to what happens re Colwill. As things stand we currently have an injured Dunk and Webster who spends quite a bit of time injured and…..?

No guarantee that Veltman is staying either is there?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Depends what he wants. I'd be surprised if we play less than 50 games next season -- given that the public statement is that we're going for four competitions -- and that will probably mean that a player with the profile of Van Hecke would get game time in the rough region of 20 of them. Also depends on what we are planning on doing at CB in the transfer window (and whether we achieve it).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Personally, I see him as Dunk's partner next season. Webster looked well off the pace in the last few games of the season and Colwill's gone and might not come back. JPVH could be a real star and I think developing him should have been a bigger priority last season and certainly should be with the squad as it is now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You're going to need to explain your logic here?

If we don't exercise the extension, he walks away for free. :shrug:
I mean in terms of the player. It basically means a deal hasn’t been / can’t be agreed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed - exercising the option is not really a good thing
Just keeping him for a year to then leave on a free would be pointless. Perhaps the option has been triggered with a view to moving him on now with a fee?

Maybe not so thankless next season? For the first time in a long time Dunk has been out injured, following a period of playing through the injury. Will he still be Mr. 38-PL-games-a-season next time round? He isn't getting any younger.............
Also, I've got a sneaking feeling that Webster will be next on De Zerbi's shipping out list, after Trossard and Sanchez - so if PVH isn't sold this summer, a new contract could become a priority issue..

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Personally, I see him as Dunk's partner next season. Webster looked well off the pace in the last few games of the season and Colwill's gone and might not come back. JPVH could be a real star and I think developing him should have been a bigger priority last season and certainly should be with the squad as it is now.
Not sure I agree. Whilst Webster didn't have the greatest of seasons I think I'd still rather he was in the side.

I think it's far too early to make a call on him. He was awful against Newcastle but had a great game against City. He obviously has potential but it's just that at the moment IMO.

Assuming we don't sign Colwill I'm sure we'll be in the market for another centre half.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You are assuming that Dunk‘s injury is short term and that he’ll stay fit all next season. Maybe a new contract is subject to what happens re Colwill. As things stand we currently have an injured Dunk and Webster who spends quite a bit of time injured and…..?

From our point of view, I can see that what you are saying makes sense.

Though I reckon the player is likely to reason the proposition we're offering him is 5th choice centre back, behind, (or at least not ahead of), Webby, Veltman and any player we sign to replace Colwill, (or Levi himself).

He's just spent a season where we had an extensive cup run and a lot of fixtures very close together and until the last few games, barely got a look in.

I'm going to guess unless we offer him assurances, which we won't, he'll want another club.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Like a lot of the younger players he'll blow hot and cold but get better with more matches. He's clearly quick to learn. He'll get more game time next season and no reason not to think he'll begin to play a prominent role. That match up against Harland wil do his confidence the world of good. I really like him he's got a bit of grit about him. That and he was bloody hilarous on Buzz's Bootroom quiz!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Depends what he wants. I'd be surprised if we play less than 50 games next season -- given that the public statement is that we're going for four competitions -- and that will probably mean that a player with the profile of Van Hecke would get game time in the rough region of 20 of them. Also depends on what we are planning on doing at CB in the transfer window (and whether we achieve it).
So would everyone! We play 38 league games, 6 Europa League group games, and then have the FA Cup and League Cup. Absolute minimum is 46 games. If we finish top two in the Europa League group that's at least two more games in a two-legged knockout tie. Even if we only finish third in the group, we have a two-legged Conference League tie, and a higher chance of going far in that competition.

To play less than 50, we've basically got to be knocked out of every competition at the first hurdle.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Veltman staying. And Dunk's injury is short term.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Shame that Webster’s so injury prone as he’d be a shoe in. If RDZ looked to ship him out I don’t think we’d get our money back. I can see him lingering on, making it harder to persuade others to join.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here