Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke - contracted to June 2027

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No, it doesn't mean a deal can't be agreed.

We exercised Welbeck's option year and then he signed a new contract a few months later.
I don’t mean ever. I mean now. But it’s basically is forcing the extension, rather than the player doing so

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Shame that Webster’s so injury prone as he’d be a shoe in. If RDZ looked to ship him out I don’t think we’d get our money back. I can see him lingering on, making it harder to persuade others to join.
I'd love to see it but I'm far from convinced AW's distribution is de Zerbi ball level yet, or anywhere near. Certainly not enough to make him a shoo in

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well yeah, the whole point of the club holding an option is that it's up to us to activate it or not.
Yes but it means he won’t sign an improved contract being offered. Ideally it would be a new contract, not us exercising an option

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He is definitely worth keeping hold of. If nothing else, I've never seen a player go so drastically on NSC from 'GET RID ASAP' to 'WORLD-CLASS' in consecutive appearances (as a starter) :lolol:
I remain fence, did well in championship, poor game at Newcastle and struggled vs Leicester, great game vs City, so definite potential and well worth seeing more of him.

As for Webster, class is permanent, and although he had a couple of difficult moments, his defensive attributes remained at a high level IMO.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Yes but it means he won’t sign an improved contract being offered. Ideally it would be a new contract, not us exercising an option
I doubt the club were convinced about what sort of contract to offer earlier in the season and not getting games he would rightly have been considering other options. Both sides will now think differently about the matter.
He's not established enough to be getting any silly to turn down offers so I would expect given how the club is run they'll discuss the way forward on his return.
Extensions tend to have a bump in wages so I doubt he's upset by the activation.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He is definitely worth keeping hold of. If nothing else, I've never seen a player go so drastically on NSC from 'GET RID ASAP' to 'WORLD-CLASS' in consecutive appearances (as a starter) :lolol:
Oh I don't know. That's fairly standard for NSC, isn't it?!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
We probably need to bring the extension into play just to pay him through the summer. Maybe we don't see any rush and he is away with his country. Doesn't sound like us though does it. Thought it would be sorted before this.
Barber out!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why does it mean he won't sign an improved contract being offered?

Triggering the option is merely a formality to allow us time to either a) negotiate a longer-term contract b) sell him
I’m not saying he won’t.

I’m just making the point it’s unfortunate when we have to exercise a extension vs a player willingly signing a new deal

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I’m not saying he won’t.

I’m just making the point it’s unfortunate when we have to exercise a extension vs a player willingly signing a new deal

How do you know we've even offered a new deal?

In the interview Bozza posted, he says there will be talks with the club once he's finished his international commitments at the start of July.

Of course, he may not want to sign a new deal but from the outside this process looks pretty standard.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I’m not saying he won’t.

I think you're making something out of nothing.

Just in the last couple of years, Albion have exercised an option in a contract in the case of Danny Welbeck, Taylor Richards, Tom McGill and Ben Wilson (just to name a few who come to mind) - and in every single case the player subsequently agreed a new deal.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’m not saying he won’t.

It could also be that the club haven’t yet decided if he’s definitely worth a longer deal and how to structure that deal. The extension built into the previous contract gives the club protection if we want to take more time to decide what to do with him.

Also if we have decided to move him on the option means we can look to sell him this summer, without it he’d walk for nothing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think you're making something out of nothing.

Just in the last couple of years, Albion have exercised an option in a contract in the case of Danny Welbeck, Taylor Richards, Tom McGill and Ben Wilson (just to name a few who come to mind) - and in every single case the player subsequently agreed a new deal.
I’m literally just making the point, not making anything out of it.

And Ostigard was someone who’s we extended, but then sold as a deal couldn’t be agreed to keep him any longer

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It has just been pointed out that’s why happened with Welbeck.
I’m not saying it means they will be leaving or a new one won’t ever be agreed !!! Merely stating it’s sub-optimal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here