Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke - contracted to June 2027

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Weirdly the actual article doesn't have him in the top 5.
Strange list overall, Saliba is probably the best CB in the league.
Thiago Silva has been awful this season.
I think it’s because that ranking and those percentage stats are current ratings and from a week after the article was written so there have been two games since the article.

Thing is with centre backs, data and recruitment analysts will say it is the hardest position to judge with stats as so much depends on how much they have to do in the match and positioning/reading of the game etc (Saliba example is a very good one). They’re always trying to come up with new ways of analysing defenders. What was interesting to me was the data backed up the eye test. Van Hecke has been getting better and better every game.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think just by the eye test we knew he had been our best centre back this season, even ahead of Dunk, but the data also back this up. Third best centre back in the PL this season, a genuinely remarkable improvement over the past year, comfortably our most improved player - he definitely deserves an end of season award of some sort.

Agree with you that he's been clearly our best CB this season, which takes some saying. Not going to get PotS though, although comfortably in second place for me.
That list has some quality players, as does the Dutch (potential) squad, and JPvH warrants his place in that company.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agree with you that he's been clearly our best CB this season, which takes some saying. Not going to get PotS though, although comfortably in second place for me.
That list has some quality players, as does the Dutch (potential) squad, and JPvH warrants his place in that company.
Gross I assume? It’s between Pascal and Joao Pedro for me.

If it was a kids team JPVH would definitely get the most improved player award though 😂 Might be too old but I’d still give him the young player award, deserves recognition for his incredible and rapid improvement. I still can’t believe it’s the same player who played away to Leicester last season who the other players noticably refused to pass to.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Gross I assume? It’s between Pascal and Joao Pedro for me.

If it was a kids team JPVH would definitely get the most improved player award though 😂 Might be too old but I’d still give him the young player award, deserves recognition for his incredible and rapid improvement. I still can’t believe it’s the same player who played away to Leicester last season who the other players noticably refused to pass to.
But not long after that kept Haaland under wraps when we drew with City

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why were Arsenal boooooooooooooooing him?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Have we considered saying “van Hecke” in the bit in the song where they say “tequila”?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have we considered saying “van Hecke” in the bit in the song where they say “tequila”?
Every other footballer in the country is considered so I don't see why not!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here