Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Carragher

Well I thought he was decent, real passion for the game, and will get better by the week.

Neville is first class

I hope so Marshy.

With Neville, I really thought he would be awful from the get go but was pleasantly surprised by his calm analysis and insight. Carragher seemed to be getting emotional, almost as if he was being personally offended by Newcastles defending.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I hope so Marshy.

With Neville, I really thought he would be awful from the get go but was pleasantly surprised by his calm analysis and insight. Carragher seemed to be getting emotional, almost as if he was being personally offended by Newcastles defending.

He did ! thats what i liked, bound to offend some managers which will make interesting viewing :)

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
To be fair Gary Neville surprised a lot of people, most people I know rate him highly as a pundit!

Not too sure about Carragher,may have to give it a few games to see how he gets on!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'd give 'Carra' a steady 6 on his first showing.

He seemed nervous which was a surprise considering he's played in some of the biggest events in world football, Champions League finals, World Cup Finals and Grand Slam Sundays.

I think the 'banter' banter between him and G Nev will be outstanding once they really get into the season.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
You've both massively missed my point. I agree completely with you. Sadly others don't.

I think I got your point - that the definition of banter seems to be banded around a lot when actually there is very little line between it and genuine abuse and that generalising all scousers as thieves is fine but saying that all Albion fans are gay isn't makes it all a bit stupid.

It was just that when I read it I couldn;t help but put on a completely over the top voice in my head and want to call you princess. I think this says strange things about the way my mind works.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
I think I got your point - that the definition of banter seems to be banded around a lot when actually there is very little line between it and genuine abuse and that generalising all scousers as thieves is fine but saying that all Albion fans are gay isn't makes it all a bit stupid.

It was just that when I read it I couldn;t help but put on a completely over the top voice in my head and want to call you princess. I think this says strange things about the way my mind works.

Exactly this, but I couldn't help it either! Got abit excited far too easily!

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Bizarre then that - being such a football expert - he spent around 20 years launching the ball into row Z, scoring own goals and giving away penalties.

come on mate, im not liverpool fan but carragher was a quality defender, he was a great tackler and reader of the game... but as he got older he did like an own goal :lol:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Ahhh so that is banter........right!

So it's ok to insinuate all scousers burglars but it's not ok to insinuate we all bat for the other side?

i know scousers that joke about that, just like saying southerners are all softies, who cares, its not racists and hardly predigest.

the other day they joked about nev or carra (i forget which one) being slow or knackered back and forth with some quick one-liners which was funny, i think they will bounce and work well off of eachother.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The thing is Carragher is in a horrible situation. He has been slotted into an established team of Neville and Chamberlain who have a good chemistry and is, directly, being automatically held in comparison to Neville.

And, as we all know, Nev is bloody excellent at his job.

For what it's worth, cmmpletely ignoring Neville, I thought Carragher was very good and compared to most pundits on tv would be seen as excellent.

But again, his voice and colleagues established abilities don't help.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The thing is Carragher is in a horrible situation. He has been slotted into an established team of Neville and Chamberlain who have a good chemistry and is, directly, being automatically held in comparison to Neville.

And, as we all know, Nev is bloody excellent at his job.

For what it's worth, cmmpletely ignoring Neville, I thought Carragher was very good and compared to most pundits on tv would be seen as excellent.

But again, his voice and colleagues established abilities don't help.

summed up well... i must be one of the few that doesnt mind his voice though haha

:thumbsup:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
He's also got that footballer trait of saying "you know" between every third word, which is extremely annoying and something that really doesn't sound good on television

You can grow out of that though - case in point our own Johnny Byrne - compare, if you will, the nineteen you know ninety you know one Season Highlight you know VHS to his current commentary style

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here