James Wilson

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well aware of that, but as a partnership I think it's too static & would rather Wilson up there off one or the other...

We've done very well the last few games but that doesn't mean you have to agree with a partnership being strong. The midfield / wingers have been terrific and that's the reason IMO. Also the partnership is broken usually fairly early with a sub so it's not just a BZ TH partnership for 90 mins of these games we've been winning...

Bobby scored recently where he headed clear a ball in our own penalty area and then ran the length of the pitch to get on the end of a Knockeart cross from a quick break.

Hemed's goal against Bolton was one where he played the ball forward from the edge of our own penalty area and got onto the flick by Bobby in their area following another quick counter attack

- Doesn't seem to me that they are too static or immobile

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bobby scored recently where he headed clear a ball in our own penalty area and then ran the length of the pitch to get on the end of a Knockeart cross from a quick break.

Hemed's goal against Bolton was one where he played the ball forward from the edge of our own penalty area and got onto the flick by Bobby in their area following another quick counter attack

- Doesn't seem to me that they are too static or immobile

Yes fair play to them for those things but I feel in everyday normal play there's a huge lack of pace & prefer one of them with Wilson/Baldock off them. Yes we've done well the last few games & both players have been individually good in certain games (BZ v Hudds & TH the last 2 IMO) but as a partnership I think there's better combinations out there. I'm not knocking either player, they've both got many great attributes, but neither have much pace or speed or stamina when it comes down to it.

The second half v Brentford I felt we were most dangerous up front with Wilsons' pace.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair enough, but you can't say it isn't working. That's exactly what it's doing.

All about opinions mate, but unfortunately it doesn't really matter as CH probably can't pick his first choice partnership every match - Ie there's no way BZ can start 3 games in 8 days coming up!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Someone was saying a few weeks ago that Ferguson had stated that although Wilson had the technical ability he did not have the physical capacity to become a top player, at the time I took it as idle chit chat but it does look like there might be something in it.

Could the loan be United s last roll of the dice with him, loaning him to us to see if he can play regularly week in week out, unfortunately it does not look like he is capable would be a shame if proves to be true?

Before he missed those games for us, he certainly looked fit. Charlton game in-particular he did not stop running

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
All about opinions mate, but unfortunately it doesn't really matter as CH probably can't pick his first choice partnership every match - Ie there's no way BZ can start 3 games in 8 days coming up!

That's true.

Although I do like the hemed/BZ partnership at the moment, part of me thinks that knockaert and baldock would have a good time together as AK can play some clever balls in behind - we don't really have the pace up front to take advantage of that yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Someone was saying a few weeks ago that Ferguson had stated that although Wilson had the technical ability he did not have the physical capacity to become a top player, at the time I took it as idle chit chat but it does look like there might be something in it.
How convenient that they waited until he was injured to mention this.

He's not currently capable of running for 90 minutes, but that hasn't been the case in the past, which suggests his problem is not permanent.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
NEWS - Confirmed as in squad for the Hull game.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Also the partnership is broken usually fairly early with a sub so it's not just a BZ TH partnership for 90 mins of these games we've been winning...

Blackburn - BZ scored. (with both on). Partnership broken at 1-0, finished 1-0
Hudds - BZ scored (both on). Partnership broken at 1-1, finished 2-1
Brentford - TH scored (both on). Partnership broken at 2-0, finished 3-0
Bolton - TH scored (both on) and assisted, BZ assisted. Partnership broken at 3-2, finished 3-2

To suggest that the partnership has NOT been central to the recent good run, is erroneous, IMO.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst TH/BZ has worked for us recently, it is fair to say the standard of opposition has been fairly poor recently. Therefore I think [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] makes a good point - Wilson's pace will be essential to unlocking better teams.

To be fair, we are capable of breaking dangerously at speed without Wilson - Huddersfield found this out when Zamora ran from box to box to put us in front. However, the simple fact is that Zamora cannot be expected to show that much energy for 90 minutes. He can't do it any more. Hughton likes to start with Zamora, but without Wilson waiting in the wings, I think we would be resigned to playing much more of a containing game. Put Wilson on when Zamora hits the wall, and our constant threat on the break remains, meaning we don't invite our opponents to press and press our (wobbly) defence for 90 minutes solid.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To suggest that the partnership has NOT been central to the recent good run, is erroneous, IMO.
It's also tough to say that Knockaert and Murphy haven't been central to our recent good run. Perhaps it's a combination of things.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Blackburn - BZ scored. (with both on). Partnership broken at 1-0, finished 1-0
Hudds - BZ scored (both on). Partnership broken at 1-1, finished 2-1
Brentford - TH scored (both on). Partnership broken at 2-0, finished 3-0
Bolton - TH scored (both on) and assisted, BZ assisted. Partnership broken at 3-2, finished 3-2

It's an impressive record. I must admit to preferring a partnership of a bigger striker and smaller one and thinking BZ and Hemed would be too slow. However, we're scoring goals with them together so I'm not going to complain.

Once Wilson is fully fit, I think he'll be a key part for the rest of the season as he offers something different, especially as we seem to be counter attacking a lot these days, and BZ does not often last 90 minutes. But, while he's not been fully fit, they've been a great partnership.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
NEWS - Confirmed as in squad for the Hull game.

i think the argus sub has got a bit carried away with the headline because although Hughton confirms that Rosenior will be back.
For Wilson all he says is...
"“He will train again this morning. It was a very minimal injury and we are hoping he is available."

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
i think the argus sub has got a bit carried away with the headline because although Hughton confirms that Rosenior will be back.
For Wilson all he says is...
"“He will train again this morning. It was a very minimal injury and we are hoping he is available."

From the match preview on the official website..

Brighton & Hove Albion manager Chris Hughton was pleased to announce that Liam Rosenior will be in the squad for the big top-of-the-table clash against Hull.

James Wilson will also be back in the squad for Tuesday night’s match, after missing the Bolton game due to a slight knock.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/fixtures-results/match-preview/index.aspx#bpgybhsalluUCrM5.99

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess I was wrong (or phrasing it badly) when I said Bobby and Tomer doesn't really work, but neither of them make enough of the the kind of runs (at least not quickly enough) that Wilson or Baldock can and do make (and I suspect Jiri likewise). They've both been great at holding the ball up and laying it off and we're now scoring a fair few with them both starting, undoubtedly helped by two wingers at the top of their game in the last couple of weeks. CH is starting to get some fantastic tactical options with the squad we've got, and some tricky selection decisions. Glad we've got him in charge as he strikes me as tactically capable of outwitting most if not all the managers in the division, and with a full squad has the tools to do it as well. Happy days eh ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
and with a full squad has the tools to do it as well. Happy days eh ?
Well we're a bit short of a full squad still, but we're getting closer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports