Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jakub Moder

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry for the negative post, but I’m wondering what all the excitement here is about Moder. I’ve seen most of his matches for us and he has had some decent games, but his stats are… unimpressive. I don’t understand why people are welcoming him back like a saviour.

He has three assists, zero goals and very average performance statistics (pass completion, key passes, dribbles, xG) in 42 league games for the Albion. Now we’re playing at a better level and quality of football perhaps this will improve - or perhaps he looked only decent in a side battling in the bottom third of the table.

Not writing the lad off, he’s still only 24 and has some real assets to develop - but you’d think from some of the hype on here a world class player was returning to action.

Three assists, no goals and very average performance stats don’t bear this out to be honest.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry for the negative post, but I’m wondering what all the excitement here is about Moder. I’ve seen most of his matches for us and he has had some decent games, but his stats are… unimpressive. I don’t understand why people are welcoming him back like a saviour.

He has three assists, zero goals and very average performance statistics (pass completion, key passes, dribbles, xG) in 42 league games for the Albion. Now we’re playing at a better level and quality of football perhaps this will improve - or perhaps he looked only decent in a side battling in the bottom third of the table.

Not writing the lad off, he’s still only 24 and has some real assets to develop - but you’d think from some of the hype on here a world class player was returning to action.

Three assists, no goals and very average performance stats don’t bear this out to be honest.
Those stats were from a season where everybody had three assists, zero goals and very average performance statistics.
He was played out of position, out wide, but still shone.
He's a big lad who's a bugger for a one touch 'round the corner' pass.

If, IF, he can move on from the injury, he'll be immense in this team and style of play.
Hopefully that'll kick in before 'we' start boooooooooooing him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I think you are spot on in terms of stats. He has also just lost the best part of 2 years of development through injury.

But, the ‘eye test’ reveals a lot more than the numbers on Transfermarkt. He is a unit and has great strength. He is two footed. He can play one touch football to a high level. He is good in the tackle. His shooting is very good and with a bit more luck and precision, he is getting 5+ goals per season.

For what it’s worth, RDZ name checked him at the presser yesterday. I think he starts tonight.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Just before he got injured Moder was starting to look top class. I remember tweeting about how excited I was and that as soon as he scored he would score freely and become a key player. That was a few mins before he got injured. Oops.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Those stats were from a season where everybody had three assists, zero goals and very average performance statistics.
He was played out of position, out wide, but still shone.
He's a big lad who's a bugger for a one touch 'round the corner' pass.

If, IF, he can move on from the injury, he'll be immense in this team and style of play.
Hopefully that'll kick in before 'we' start boooooooooooing him.
I hoped I’d made it clear where I was coming from, and want him to be a massive success and have a breakthrough season as much as anybody, no booing here.

Just pointing out that while it’s great to have another fit body back in the squad, and one with so much promise, his actual stats aren’t actually very good. It would be expecting an awful lot for him to suddenly turn into a world class midfielder.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I hoped I’d made it clear where I was coming from, and want him to be a massive success and have a breakthrough season as much as anybody, no booing here.

Just pointing out that while it’s great to have another fit body back in the squad, and one with so much promise, his actual stats aren’t actually very good. It would be expecting an awful lot for him to suddenly turn into a world class midfielder.
All good.

There's the possibility he was a world class midfielder who was turned into an also ran.

The game I come back too (frequently on this thread) is Utd away, mid week, when he ripped them a new one and we lost 2-0, because that's what we did back then.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think we will possibly go with a back three tonight and play wing backs. Maybe he could play as a wing back under this system.
Or as a right sided attacking player in our 4 3 3 structure.
I remember the game at Burnley when him coming on in that position set up goals for Maupay and then AliMac.
Injuries are a chance for others and this could be the opportunity for Jakob.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Moder was playing in an emotionally stunted and tactical pudding of a team under Potter. Under a progressive manager with personality, he'll be a different player with a whole new knee.
You don't need to rewrite history. Potter had his tactical ideals and was flexible enough to change things up mid game to good effect. He was not in charge of a "tactical pudding".
The problem was always that everyone was trying to get involved in build up and nobody was there to finish off the chances.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Long time ago but my memory of him at time he got injured was he got into many more great attacking positions than other midfielders and unfortunate not to score more goals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

As others have said, potential. In 2020 there was nothing between March, Gross, Alzate, Trossard and Moder.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Moder was playing in an emotionally stunted and tactical pudding of a team under Potter. Under a progressive manager with personality, he'll be a different player with a whole new knee.
This is just a further reminder that, while on other topics you can be astute, when it comes to football, you're somewhat bizarre.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You don't need to rewrite history. Potter had his tactical ideals and was flexible enough to change things up mid game to good effect. He was not in charge of a "tactical pudding".
The problem was always that everyone was trying to get involved in build up and nobody was there to finish off the chances.

I'm no re-writing anything. Potter's team was a mess, I've been very consistent on my opinions and thoughts on that former manager. The problems he had at Brighton he had at Chelsea as well, so there's clearly a lot wrong with his tactics and playing players like Trossard and Moder as left wing backs was a big part of it. Absolute pudding. He left and we improved and that was no coincidence.

This is just a further reminder that, while on other topics you can be astute, when it comes to football, you're somewhat bizarre.
There's a lot that goes on around football I find bizarre!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

It's not all about stats. It's about watching the player and seeing the influence he has. It's like criticising Danny Wellbeck for not scoring enough goals. He was immense tonight but according to stats he had no goals or assists. There's stats etc....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here