Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Wright in today's Sunday Times

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
According to Soccerbase he started two games at Withdean, against Walsall - the first match of the season - and MK Dons, both 1-0 defeats.

That was when we lost on the opening day to Walsall - who were down to 9 men after about 20 minutes (and actually scored when they were down to 9).

Great days.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
From memory we were short at left back and Slade signed him after he played well for us in a friendly. He is of course a natural centre back!
That and the fact we paid £100K for him when we were skint sums up the management at the time.
Liam Dickinson came from Stockport and was one of the tallest players I've seen who was physically unable to jump. A real Billy Big Bollocks though. Seem to recall we had the quite terrible Hoyte on loan from Arsenal at right back and the notorious Graham Smith in goal (or was that another year?). Not happy times. Was it Mark Wright, the winger who came and left for Shrewsbury within a couple of games because he couldn't settle?
The remnants of Wilkins' Sussex mafia were not the most welcoming group I think.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
That was when we lost on the opening day to Walsall - who were down to 9 men after about 20 minutes (and actually scored when they were down to 9).

Great days.

I think that was another Walsall game. Pretty sure the one where they won with 9 men was under Micky Adams II.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He is being completely fair there given when he signed as many have mentioned above. Slade for all his great work keeping us up ruined it with his summer signings

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
From memory we were short at left back and Slade signed him after he played well for us in a friendly. He is of course a natural centre back!
That and the fact we paid £100K for him when we were skint sums up the management at the time.
Liam Dickinson came from Stockport and was one of the tallest players I've seen who was physically unable to jump. A real Billy Big Bollocks though. Seem to recall we had the quite terrible Hoyte on loan from Arsenal at right back and the notorious Graham Smith in goal (or was that another year?). Not happy times. Was it Mark Wright, the winger who came and left for Shrewsbury within a couple of games because he couldn't settle?
The remnants of Wilkins' Sussex mafia were not the most welcoming group I think.

I thought Andrew Whing was our right back at the start of the season. He got POTS previously for the Great Escape. I think Hoyte came on loan later but was then replaced by Calde in January.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We paid £125,000 for Jake Wright which was a lot of money for us back then. Shipped out for nothing soon after

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think that was another Walsall game. Pretty sure the one where they won with 9 men was under Micky Adams II.
Yep, we lost to the 9 men of Walsall on the Saturday and knocked Man City out of the League Cup three days later.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yep, we lost to the 9 men of Walsall on the Saturday and knocked Man City out of the League Cup three days later.

I did the 150 mile round trip for the Walsall game, and missed the City one...

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Wright was signed as a left back due to McNulty being injured on the back of a decent performance against us for Crawley in pre-season. Paying such big money for him was really a criminal decision - especially as it turned out he was actually a centre back

Had his best game there as somebody else said in the Paint Pot away at Orient and then disappeared off the face of the Earth with El-Abd playing left back until McNulty was fit again who was very quickly replaced by Poyet with Painter

Not surprised half of our supporters don't remember him, we were shit so they probably weren't Albion fans at the time

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
According to Soccerbase he started two games at Withdean, against Walsall - the first match of the season - and MK Dons, both 1-0 defeats.

Was the Walsall game the famous - we lost 1-0 to 9 men game?

If so, I knew he had played for us but never realised I had actually seen him play for us!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oxford United captain Jake Wright on his time at the Albion: "I played six games, tore my hamstring and the manager who signed me, Russell Slade, was sacked.

"What happened at Brighton made me into a proper captain. There was no team spirit, cliques everywhere and I wasn't made welcome by big-time players. Since then I've always made sure it's not like that wherever I've been."

I must say that Mr Wright somewhat passed me by. "Big-time players", eh?

Comments?

Whose to say that he wasn't wright?, (pardon the pun). We weren't in tjhe dressing room at the time.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don't actually remember him but that was a grim time. The Huddersfield game was a particular low point as was making the trip to Swansea on a summers evening to watch us completlely outclassed in the cup.

One of the only bright sparks of that time was Mcnulty who did actually look a player until he got that horrific injury.

I remember being quite excited about signing Liam Dickinson for some reason but what a disappointment.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was the Walsall game the famous - we lost 1-0 to 9 men game?

If so, I knew he had played for us but never realised I had actually seen him play for us!

Nope, the 9 men game was the season before

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Last time I saw Liam Dickenson he was on the bench for Guiseley. I don't know where that is, let alone what division they play in.I hated him from the moment I saw him and bet my mate he wouldn't score more than 10 goals in our season. Easy money.

Feels a lot longer than 7 years ago when all that crud was playing for us. We don't know were born anymore with the quality we now have. To think I was excited about watching some of this lot the first time they played.

Remember him very well and was disappointed he didnt get more of a chance. Has been highly thought of by fans as a model pro at Halifax, Crawley and then afterwards at Oxford so I'm inclined to not dismiss out of hand what he has to say. It may be partly sour grapes but equally he may be telling the truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here