Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jake Robinson could be in a bit of trouble!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m sure refs get criticism every week from football fans on social media, a fair few people didn’t think a footballer should be commenting….. as mentioned in other posts on this thread, a poor choice of words, he has admitted this.
Who remembers Tanno getting a red card at St Mary’s for calling the ref a cheat to his face, with effing in front of it?
A penalty given for a foul ten yards outside of the area.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hope the ref sues him for libel
You hope a local lad who played for the Albion and is one of our own gets sued? Really? Yes, probably a silly thing to do (not seen it) but think it’s a bit harsh to want misfortune on a former Albion player with a family to support 🤷🏻‍♂️

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You hope a local lad who played for the Albion and is one of our own gets sued? Really? Yes, probably a silly thing to do (not seen it) but think it’s a bit harsh to want misfortune on a former Albion player with a family to support 🤷🏻‍♂️
There’s a huge problem with respect in the game. I don’t think semi professional footballers should suggest local referees are ‘corrupt’. And everyone wonders why referee participation is falling and many leagues are struggling to get enough to officiate games.

By all means say he’s poor, terrible decisions but to suggest he’s ‘corrupt’ is extremely poor in my view.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There’s a huge problem with respect in the game. I don’t think semi professional footballers should suggest local referees are ‘corrupt’. And everyone wonders why referee participation is falling and many leagues are struggling to get enough to officiate games.

By all means say he’s poor, terrible decisions but to suggest he’s ‘corrupt’ is extremely poor in my view.
Yeh it’s wrong - just don’t think it’s worth suing 👍 One thing I notice from the game is grassroots level, call the ref a cu*t you’re sent off, professional level - never. That’s one of the problems - Wayne Rooney was terrible for it and never seemed to get booked or sent for ref abuse yet you 95% do at lower levels - and it’s the same fine!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sprinkle is On Fire today. :facepalm:

Edit: but he seems to have now put himself out. :LOL: :drool:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeh it’s wrong - just don’t think it’s worth suing 👍 One thing I notice from the game is grassroots level, call the ref a cu*t you’re sent off, professional level - never. That’s one of the problems - Wayne Rooney was terrible for it and never seemed to get booked or sent for ref abuse yet you 95% do at lower levels - and it’s the same fine!
Interesting article from the Beeb. A grassroots ref criticises the top echelon because when they don't enforce the rules it causes problems at grassroots level.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it's high time referees were interviewed after games, for 2 or 3 minutes , to explain any contentious issues/decisions , there is a shed load of money riding on some of the decisions these guys make , they should be made accountable. maybe not applicable at the level JR is currently playing but PREMIER and champ definitely.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bit OTT IMHO. The boy clearly got caught up in the moment and has now deleted the offending tweet
Yes, but actions have consequences, regardless of if they were a 'mistake'. He could've easily taken a moment, re-read the tweet and thought 'Nah, that's not the one'.

But he didn't.

And yes 'we've all made mistakes', but I doubt many of us have accused a specific individual of corruption on social media. That's a whole new level of stupid.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Interesting article from the Beeb. A grassroots ref criticises the top echelon because when they don't enforce the rules it causes problems at grassroots level.

This has been a problem forever - well for at least 40 years! The top level referees are instructed NOT to sanction players who abuse them. The kids then see the professionals getting away with all kinds - so they follow their heroes - and all hell breaks loose when they do get sanctioned.

As with most things in football, it comes from the top. When the World Cup is corruptly given to a country with a shocking record on human and LGBTQ rights, we can't really expect too much from those running the game can we?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This has been a problem forever - well for at least 40 years! The top level referees are instructed NOT to sanction players who abuse them. The kids then see the professionals getting away with all kinds - so they follow their heroes - and all hell breaks loose when they do get sanctioned.

As with most things in football, it comes from the top. When the World Cup is corruptly given to a country with a shocking record on human and LGBTQ rights, we can't really expect too much from those running the game can we?
Blimey that’s hell of a pivot to crowbar Qatar in 😂

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Jake goes on to accuse the ref of corruption in another tweet in the replies.

To be fair, it was a bit of a soft penalty. To coin a phrase, I haven't seen those given!
I attended the match as an official of Horsham YMCA, yes it was a very soft penalty, and yes again we were very fortunate to escape with a point, but in no way was the referee a cheat, merely incompetant.. He was giving bizarre decisions all afternoon to BOTH sides, not just ourselves.

That said, there are many officials of a similar standard at this level of football, but at least they are willing to stand up and do a job for which they get no praise or acclaim, just a lot of flak when things go wrong. Lets face it, if no one wanted to do it we would have no football to watch.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Who remembers Tanno getting a red card at St Mary’s for calling the ref a cheat to his face, with effing in front of it?
A penalty given for a foul ten yards outside of the area.
10 yards, you say? Let's go over to Peter Walton (The actual ref) for his opinion.

Dunk.JPG

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Knew there was a reason I can't stand him
Somewhat akin to the ref that this thread was all about, (l'm not going to name him), Peter Walton was another ref albeit a much more high profile one, who also thought that the game was all about him.

A good ref, irrespective of the level, you really shouldn't notice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here