Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Jake Paul vs Tommy Fury

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Legitimate contest or bordering on the realms of Hulk Hogan and co?

All a bit alien for the tradionalists, both fighters can best be described as novices, its only an 8 rounder for a kick off, but they will earn a reported $5million each.

Over 10 times what Leigh Wood got for defending (and ultimately losing) his world title at the weekend.

Has boxing sold its soul or do all us old fight fans have to move with the times and recognise market forces?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Legitimate contest or bordering on the realms of Hulk Hogan and co?

All a bit alien for the tradionalists, both fighters can best be described as novices, its only an 8 rounder for a kick off, but they will earn a reported $5million each.

Over 10 times what Leigh Wood got for defending (and ultimately losing) his world title at the weekend.

Has boxing sold its soul or do all us old fight fans have to move with the times and recognise market forces?
Whatever you view of pro wrestling Hulk Hogan and co worked bloody hard to reach the top of their profession. Hogan came through when the pro wrestling industry was still heavily protected and portrayed as real. They deliberately broke his ankle in his first training session to see if he had it in him to come back and wanted it enough.

The likes of Jake Paul who have gotten famous on You Tube and taken the short cut to the top are nothing like that. Paul actually looks like he's got a bit about him as a boxer but he should be doing it the right way from a sporting perspective of working his way up.

That said for fleecing idiots out of money to watch this sideshow you've got to admire him and his ability to self promote. I won't be watching.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Whatever you view of pro wrestling Hulk Hogan and co worked bloody hard to reach the top of their profession. Hogan came through when the pro wrestling industry was still heavily protected and portrayed as real. They deliberately broke his ankle in his first training session to see if he had it in him to come back and wanted it enough.

The likes of Jake Paul who have gotten famous on You Tube and taken the short cut to the top are nothing like that. Paul actually looks like he's got a bit about him as a boxer but he should be doing it the right way from a sporting perspective of working his way up.

That said for fleecing idiots out of money to watch this sideshow you've got to admire him and his ability to self promote. I won't be watching.
Joey old love not having a go at the Hulkster, Randy Macho Man, Andre the Giant etc, they were purely sports entertainment and you knew exactly what you were getting.

These two on Sunday are fighting under the Marquis of Queensbury rules, and as previously stated despite being relative novices earning obscene amounts of money.

It is extremely insulting to your rank and file pro boxers right around the globe who climb through the ropes every fight putting their lives on the line for nothing like what Paul and Fury are getting.

Life clearly at times isn't fair, and this 'contest' in boxing terms proves that.

I asked Scott Welch what he thought about it, and he said back in his day he'd have fought King Kong if they'd paid him enough, its market forces but does that make it right?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Brings a lot of eyes to boxing so IMO it’s good for the sport.

Tommy Fury is a very, very average boxer who if he wasn’t a fury would be a nobody and Paul is unproven against actual boxers so this fight will be very interesting to see where he’s actually at because his show reel knockouts have been great but we’ve not seen him against an orthodox boxer.

Will be one of the highest earning fights of the year, I’m of the generation that grew up with the YouTube era (sidemen, Jake Paul etc) so I won’t apologise for being interested in this one.

Don’t like Paul in the slightest but the guy works his bollocks off, he’s a rookie 7/8 fights in, you’d argue Woodley/silva are better opponents than any of Fury’s opponents, bar the ginger one he fought who actually came to fight. For me to see someone say Paul is a fraud or whatever is amusing like Fury is much better, he’s a poser who’s been on love island and barely fights, if anyones a fraud, it’s fury.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I suppose i'd try and rationalise it as "boxing, but not really boxing" and not draw comparisons to actual fights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hope neither has eaten too many eggs.

Dec 29, 2011
Brings a lot of eyes to boxing so IMO it’s good for the sport.

Tommy Fury is a very, very average boxer who if he wasn’t a fury would be a nobody and Paul is unproven against actual boxers so this fight will be very interesting to see where he’s actually at because his show reel knockouts have been great but we’ve not seen him against an orthodox boxer.

Will be one of the highest earning fights of the year, I’m of the generation that grew up with the YouTube era (sidemen, Jake Paul etc) so I won’t apologise for being interested in this one.

Don’t like Paul in the slightest but the guy works his bollocks off, he’s a rookie 7/8 fights in, you’d argue Woodley/silva are better opponents than any of Fury’s opponents, bar the ginger one he fought who actually came to fight. For me to see someone say Paul is a fraud or whatever is amusing like Fury is much better, he’s a poser who’s been on love island and barely fights, if anyones a fraud, it’s fury.
How old are you? (I'm wondering what age grew up with them YouTube personalities)

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Women's boxing seemed to be frowned upon when it first started but seems to be gaining in popularity now.
This is no more a farce than all time great Floyd Mayweather v MMA McGregor. That made a lot of money.
If the public is interested, money is all that matters.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Neither of these two interest me to watch it.
However, Roy Keane V Vinny Jones might be fun.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How old are you? (I'm wondering what age grew up with them YouTube personalities)
28, YouTube really got big around 2005ish onwards didn’t it as far as I remember, I’m about the same age as most of the Sidemen, Logan Paul, Jake Paul etc

I do think Jake Paul isn’t really an ‘influencer boxer’ anymore tho, yes he hasn’t fought any proper boxers but he’s been working his bollocks off for 3 years at this game.

I’m torn on this fight because Jake has always irritated me but I kind of respect the grind, Fury I think is just more muscle than brains and work ethic.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Isn't Fury an actual fighter? How on earth is he 2nd favourite to win this?
He is but take a look at the record of his opponents.

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/854141

4 of his 8 fights were against opponents who'd never won and all bar two were against fighters who had losing records, some quite considerably. If his family name wasn't Fury he'd get zero attention as a fighter.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He is but take a look at the record of his opponents.

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/854141

4 of his 8 fights were against opponents who'd never won and all bar two were against fighters who had losing records, some quite considerably. If his family name wasn't Fury he'd get zero attention as a fighter.

Fair enough. From a gambling perspective, I really couldn't get my head around the fact he is 2nd favourite against a guy off YouTube. If Fury has any kind of boxing talent that should be like finding money in the street.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Fair enough. From a gambling perspective, I really couldn't get my head around the fact he is 2nd favourite against a guy off YouTube. If Fury has any kind of boxing talent that should be like finding money in the street.
But Jake Paul does have some boxing talent too, what most people don't like is the shortcut he's taken to the big pay days based on his name and You Tube fame.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
For those hoping for a quick finish from Fury, which do you prefer the straight but lightweight left jab, or the stand square on and wave your right arm out there finish?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
28, YouTube really got big around 2005ish onwards didn’t it as far as I remember, I’m about the same age as most of the Sidemen, Logan Paul, Jake Paul etc

I do think Jake Paul isn’t really an ‘influencer boxer’ anymore tho, yes he hasn’t fought any proper boxers but he’s been working his bollocks off for 3 years at this game.

I’m torn on this fight because Jake has always irritated me but I kind of respect the grind, Fury I think is just more muscle than brains and work ethic.
I think YouTube launched in 2005. Acquired by Google in 2006

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I’ll be watching via non conventional means.

Initially was very disapproving of Jake Paul when he first got started, but have to now give him some respect as his recent performances have been good - you can see there’s talent there. But also considering his opponents, there’s still questions to ask.

Tommy Fury, wouldn’t even be a consideration for Jake Paul at this time (or anywhere near a ppv card) if not for his last name, due to his current record (and quality of opponent).

So we really don’t know.
Jake Paul hasn’t yet fought a boxer.
Tommy is in the early stages of his professional career.

Both have been fast-tracked due to fame.

———

After having watched the presser, Tommy appears slightly more confident - Jake looks to be irritated or tired.

I don’t believe either of them are genuinely confident, as it’s each their first big test and they both know it.
Far more pressure on Tommy though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here