Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Forster-Caskey - what exactly does he do?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Keeps the ball better than any of other defenders. No he doesn't
Highest completed pass rate of all our players. Five yard simple stuff, normally sideways and often to pass the buck.
Provides cover for defence and covers great about of pitch. Seen running behind the attacking players as they've just passed by him.
Plays as though he gives a shit. So he should
Has developed this season better than Ince. Only because clueless drops Ince after he's played well. F-S never gets dropped even after many poor games.
Consistent pick for England U21s. Says more about the young talent in the country than F-S
Yes you're right he is shit. Not shit but not good enough at the moment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Keeps the ball better than any of other defenders
Highest completed pass rate of all our players
Provides cover for defence and covers great about of pitch
Plays as though he gives a shit
Has developed this season better than Ince
Consistent pick for England U21s
Yes you're right he is shit.

TBH, my pass completion rate would be great if I passed sideways or back at a distance of about 5 yards, 99% of the time.

I agree with the last comment.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
He is 19! Anyone expecting a finished article is mad. He does good things he does bad things but one thing is for certain: he has the potential to be at least a solid championship midfielder.

Agreed that he has 'potential'. That's what the DS is for, to develop it. Not the first team in a relegation scrap.

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
Consistent pick for England
Covers better than other defenders really? Five yard passes,Ince. Has hardly played this season the odd game here and there .He isn't shit he could be a good player but all the midfielders are the same ,it seems none of them no exactly how there supposed to be playing he should be pulling the strings in midfield and breaking forward but he is playing a defensive role like the others ,Hypia is shocking I think he is destroying the young players confidence, either Ince or jfc play further forward but it seems no one does ,no penetration from the centre of midfield .

countryman

Jun 28, 2011

This. His covering for the full backs this season has generally been brilliant and he very rarely loses possession. He always gives 100% and is happy to fly into challenges. He's not going to do amazing things with the ball but he will get the ball and move it to someone who does. When playing for England under 21s he has looked very good. What helps him there is that he is the only defensive midfielder and there are more creative midfielders to get the ball to. But when playing with Ince and Gardner at the same time he doesn't have a creative player further up in the middle to pass to so his options are limited.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He will go the way of jake robinson and should not be in the championship full stop...Never known a player to get picked every bloody week that offers absolutely nothing.

Sums up the management team at the moment

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You need new glasses pal...He's bloody awful and has been for a long long time.

Crappy little 5 yard passes deep in your own half mean jack shite

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Personally think he's had his ability coached out of him, when he first broke into the 1st team squad I thought he was going to be a frank lampard type player arriving late into the box and scoring goals. But he seems to be playing deeper and deeper.

I agree with you. Not sure what has happened to him. When he received the ball in the box in acres of space and tried to do some trick check back thing it was so odd. Surely he should have tried to shoot or at least head for the goal. He has become so negative and rarely passes the ball in a forwards direction. I am not sure if this is coaching or just the pressure of being in a relegation battle. At the moment he needs a break from the team.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Spare a thought for JFC, works hard in the centre position and when he does get the ball has very few options but to knock a 5 yard pass as the options in front of him are limited. The movement of the strikers and midfield is so poor that the only options are square or backward passes.

I have felt for a while that he is one of the few players who can pick out a pass but when the options for a positive pass are not available what is he meant to do? Sorry but it's not the player it is the system we need to get players forward quicker and into areas of space, we flood the centre of midfield but not the flanks.

I haven't seen too many knocking Ince who was woeful yesterday!.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
On the plus side: he is theoretically the glue that holds us together (like Scott Parker for Fulham yesterday); on the other hand, he does nothing positive to influence a game. Doesn't create, score or tackle

For me a 6 out of 10, meh bundle of blandness

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
People don't need a scapegoat they just say what they see, he was pony today, pony last week and pony the week before that.

The thing is people see what they want to see. If you go in to a game expecting to see JFC play badly of course you'll pick up on every little mistake he makes and probably ignore anything good he does. He's had some good games this season, not worldies by any means, but good by championship standards and to ignore those shows how people are indeed using him as a scapegoat. He was poor yesterday sure but so were Gardner and Ince.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
On probably four or five occasions yesterday JFC was walking / jogging slowly back from an attack as Fulham broke on the counter. By the time their attack was over he was still jogging back. He looks unfit, and plays like it. 90% of his passes are backwards or sideways - and he has very little creativity. Genuinely astonished that he is an England Under-21 regular. Free-kicks are poor - corners when he takes them ditto - can't beat the first man.

I really want him to succeed as a Brighton local player but it isn't helping our situation at the moment that he's not in any kind of influential form.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
He is not good enough and i have been finding myself saying this more and more this season. Why he has become the poster boy for the club and is picked day in day out by managment is beyone me.

Perhaps he is only picked for England U21's because the standard of English players is very very low, nothing to do with him actually being any good.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Keeps the ball better than any of other defenders. No he doesn't
Highest completed pass rate of all our players. Five yard simple stuff, normally sideways and often to pass the buck.
Provides cover for defence and covers great about of pitch. Seen running behind the attacking players as they've just passed by him.
Plays as though he gives a shit. So he should
Has developed this season better than Ince. Only because clueless drops Ince after he's played well. F-S never gets dropped even after many poor games.
Consistent pick for England U21s. Says more about the young talent in the country than F-S
Yes you're right he is shit. Not shit but not good enough at the moment.

Thanks you saved me the trouble of writing that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here