Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Wilshere

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Fine. But the next time he trots out how much it hurts to be dumped out of a tournament at the earliest opportunity this photo will spring to mind.

I had a nan who died once. I was well sad n stuff.

The next day I went to the pub with my mates and had a great time.

They aren't mutually exclusive

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
What I will say is that a football career, especially at the top is a short one, so I'd expect players to be the best they can be for that short time, alcohol and even more so smoking wont help their cause.

When they retire, say mid to late 30's they have their whole lives to then get pissed and smoke 40 a day if they so wish.

Agreed. You didn't see Ronaldo or Messi doing this sort of thing at his age. He should be maximising his potential which he clearly isn't.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Agreed. You didn't see Ronaldo or Messi doing this sort of thing at his age. He should be maximising his potential which he clearly isn't.

You mean this Lionel Messi?

BAmhJRFCUAARB8O.jpg:large

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Agreed. You didn't see Ronaldo or Messi doing this sort of thing at his age.

many do. wasnt Zidane known to smoke at half time? i recall a manager recently commenting that many European players smoke. its not as if the odd few fags on holiday even matters, people just get their knickers twisted over it.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
You mean this Lionel Messi?

BAmhJRFCUAARB8O.jpg:large

That's one of those menthol cigarettes ;0) in all seriousness though, you'd have thought in Wilsheres position he'd know or have been advised better. It's the difference between good and great. Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather for example. Hatton would party and put on weight between fights, mayweather doesn't. One of the reasons he's still at the top of his game at 36/37? If Wilshere wants to maximise his chances of being great and prolong his career he should be looking after himself better.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

From a poster called Rod Marsh, this must score 11 out of 10 on the irony-o-meter.

FWIW if JW wants to smoke let him, and he certainly is entitled to go on the lash with his mates too.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I'd be more shocked to see a photo of Wiltshire staying on his feet during a game.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
From a poster called Rod Marsh, this must score 11 out of 10 on the irony-o-meter.

FWIW if JW wants to smoke let him, and he certainly is entitled to go on the lash with his mates too.

Welcome to my world :0) It's a daily occurrence either at work or personally my name is a source of amusement or irony.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Erm, ok! But I'm sure we all have lives that we need to get away from to enjoy our holidays!

Indeed. So you agree that he is no different? Where there obviously is a difference, is that when you go on your well deserved break, there won't be people following you with long range lenses and sneaky camera phones, trying to catch you having a drink or a smoke.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Indeed. So you agree that he is no different? Where there obviously is a difference, is that when you go on your well deserved break, there won't be people following you with long range lenses and sneaky camera phones, trying to catch you having a drink or a smoke.

It's difficult to tell from one still photo. I've no idea if he's a 20 a day man or just has one a week etc. I just find it amazing that any player would have a lifestyle like that or even that a club would allow a player to smoke. Elite level sport is all about small margins. The difference between success and failure is just that. With the leaps in sports science that have been made surely smoking has been identified as a negative influence on lung capacity/performance. I'm surprised the clubs are not trying to or are helping him to quit.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That's one of those menthol cigarettes ;0) in all seriousness though, you'd have thought in Wilsheres position he'd know or have been advised better. It's the difference between good and great. Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather for example. Hatton would party and put on weight between fights, mayweather doesn't. One of the reasons he's still at the top of his game at 36/37? If Wilshere wants to maximise his chances of being great and prolong his career he should be looking after himself better.

I get the comparison but even if Ricky Hatton was as professional as Mayweather, they are in different leagues quality wise, Mayweather being one of the best of a generation & Hatton being a decent but ultimately flawed boxer. It's a lot easier to still be in peak condition and winning at that age when you are that much better than everyone else.

Besides this, I'm sure I read studies a while back that say smoking ocassionally doesn't actually harm your physical fitness or lung capacity long term. Some label it as 'influencing the younger generation' but I can honestly say growing up I never felt seeing someone I admired smoking made me want to smoke, smoking is now seen as 'cool' in secondary schools and that is the problem, but that's besides the point.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This is why Wilshere and all the other playboys like Rooney will never live up to their potential, plenty of time once they've retired to go on the lash. A sportsman needs to treat his body like a temple to exact the maximum from it , smoking, drinking alcohol and doing whatever will ensure like many others they will end up never fulfilling what they could have been.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is why Wilshere and all the other playboys like Rooney will never live up to their potential, plenty of time once they've retired to go on the lash. A sportsman needs to treat his body like a temple to exact the maximum from it , smoking, drinking alcohol and doing whatever will ensure like many others they will end up never fulfilling what they could have been.

Like Usain Bolt eating chicken nuggets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like Usain Bolt eating chicken nuggets.

If you can get away with it then fine. Usain Bolt's medals show he can. Wilshire is a long way from being an elite footballer though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here