Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Wilshere

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Now that made me laugh. 6 days? These players don't know the meaning of the word "work".

It may not be an office job, but still, have to spend 2 or 3 nights a week away from their family / loved ones / children, for about 11 months of the year they have to stick to a fairly rigid diet and excercise regime to stay in shape, can't really smoke or drink, have to be outside in all weathers to train during the winter, not allowed to do anything remotely normal or the media kick up a huge storm, have to put up with a smorgasboard of abuse online if they misplace a simple pass, everyone knows how much money they make so they have no privacy, and yet they still get castigated when they wanna let their hair down when they're on holiday... no wonder depression / addiction is so rife in football, most players are probably bored out of their skin with life by the time they hit 30.

Personally I wouldn't want to be a professional footballer, much prefer the work-life balance of an office job, away from the prying eyes of the world.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The only person this directly effects is him. IF he returns unfit and asthmatic, he's the only one who will suffer. I really don't get why people get so wound up about these things.

Do you think the French gave a flying eff that Zidane was a chain-smoker? Or the Italians that Balotelli likes a crafty fag?

I think it was Oliver Holt who summed it up well on Twitter earlier: Wilshere smokes a cigarette = people go mental; Wilshere befriends a kid with cancer and helps out his family = nobody cares.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I guess that means you don't mess around in a pool, drink and kiss blokes on your holidays ?

He doesn't represent the nation at football or influence the behaviour of thousands upon thousands of youngsters either though does he?
Bunch of overpaid, useless tossers.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He doesn't represent the nation at football or influence the behaviour of thousands upon thousands of youngsters either though does he?
Bunch of overpaid, useless tossers.

Steady on. I'm quietly confident we're not about to see a sudden spike in the number of eleven year olds developing a Marlboro habit because Jack Wilshere sparks up a tab in a swimming pool.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I can't believe people are missing the big story here. "Over pampered footballer has someone to hold his fags".

Jack w has someone hold his cigs for him. Footballers today.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Steady on. I'm quietly confident we're not about to see a sudden spike in the number of eleven year olds developing a Marlboro habit because Jack Wilshere sparks up a tab in a swimming pool.

Would be Marlboro Lights these days, PUSSYS!!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So what?

You can feel the jealousy seeping out of the pores of the righteous indignation mob here.

English football has far more problems than whether Jack Wilshire is having a fag in his off season holiday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or a young man who works 6 days a week spending some time with his mates, enjoying himself during the 3 or 4 weeks where he actually gets a break?

Fine. But the next time he trots out how much it hurts to be dumped out of a tournament at the earliest opportunity this photo will spring to mind.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It may not be an office job, but still, have to spend 2 or 3 nights a week away from their family / loved ones / children, for about 11 months of the year they have to stick to a fairly rigid diet and excercise regime to stay in shape, can't really smoke or drink, have to be outside in all weathers to train during the winter, not allowed to do anything remotely normal or the media kick up a huge storm, have to put up with a smorgasboard of abuse online if they misplace a simple pass, everyone knows how much money they make so they have no privacy, and yet they still get castigated when they wanna let their hair down when they're on holiday... no wonder depression / addiction is so rife in football, most players are probably bored out of their skin with life by the time they hit 30.

Personally I wouldn't want to be a professional footballer, much prefer the work-life balance of an office job, away from the prying eyes of the world.

You make it sound like they are conscripts!

I have no issue with anybody enjoying themselves on holiday, including Jack Wilshire, but please don't try and make out that being a professional footballer is a hard life.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it was Oliver Holt who summed it up well on Twitter earlier: Wilshere smokes a cigarette = people go mental; Wilshere befriends a kid with cancer and helps out his family = nobody cares.

Indeed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You make it sound like they are conscripts!

I have no issue with anybody enjoying themselves on holiday, including Jack Wilshire, but please don't try and make out that being a professional footballer is a hard life.

He's not suggesting for a second that it's a 'hard life'. He just saying its a life that you can understand the need to get away from for a week's holiday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
What I will say is that a football career, especially at the top is a short one, so I'd expect players to be the best they can be for that short time, alcohol and even more so smoking wont help their cause.

When they retire, say mid to late 30's they have their whole lives to then get pissed and smoke 40 a day if they so wish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here